FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anyone remember the rumoured "Rock Band: Nickelback"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peacelovetequila  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I dealt with some "interesting" posts on the Duke Nukem forums, but wow...

TensionSpree wrote:
Crawling -is- emo, no questions asked. One Step Closer is kinda emo too, also don't call Linkin Park Nu-Metal, cause nothing about them is metal, at all. Also, low blow picking on DT's singer.

Linkin Park isn't metal?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:jxfoxqykld6e
http://www.musicmight.com/linkto/artist/%7B152D3B4F-F96B-445F-A2F6-DFF26B9
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/linkinpark-hybrid
http://www.nme.com/artists/linkin-park
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/linkinpark/biography
http://uk.music.ign.com/articles/393/393909p1.html

NONE of those sources categorize the band as emo. Fall Out Boy is emo. Panic At The Disco was emo. Red Jumpsuit Apparatus is emo. 30 Seconds To Mars is emo. And if you listen to all of those bands, then compare to Linkin Park, you'll find that there's a definitive difference in musical style. As for Crawling being emo based on the lyrics, I don't suppose you've ever been the victim of child abuse?

Dude, I can't tell if you're trolling or if you're being closed-minded. You're not arguing on any basis, you're just picking and choosing sentences and trying to combat them based solely on opinion. Oh, and I don't see you rushing to defend Chester Bennington's crippling spider bite.

Really, I don't give a shit what Rolling Stone has to say about Nickelback or Metallica with regards to whether or not they sound good. Oh, and before you try to riposte by saying, "But one of your links goes to Rollingstone.com!" Yes, among SIX sources I cited that categorizes a band as metal. Genre categorization is quite different from whether or not music is good or appealing; the former is not as subjective as the latter.

Of course, I can throw loads and loads of reputable sources and arguments at you, but based on your past posting habits, ultimately there's nothing I can do to convince you that your reasoning is flawed. Good day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you peacelovetequila for saying all I wanted to say but was too lazy to say. Linkin Park is hated/scrutinized almost as much as Nickelback, and that sucks for me because I genuinely like their music, and have been a huge fan (mind you, a sensible one) for quite some time now.

Which gets me thinking, it must suck for Nickelback fans too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: uSound PSN Name: uSoundSH
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I cannot take this anymore
Sayin' everything I've said before
All these words they make no sense
I found bliss in ignorance
Less I hear the less you say
You'll find that out anyway

[Just like before]

Everything you say to me
[Takes me one step closer to the edge]
And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breath,
[Cuz I'm one step closer to the edge,]
I'm about to break

I find the answers aren't so clear
Wish I could find a way to disappear
All these thoughts they make no sense
I found bliss in ignorance
Nothing seems to go away
Over and over again

Quote:
Crawling in my skin
These wounds, they will not heal
Fear is how I fall
Confusing what is real

There's something inside me that pulls beneath the surface
Consuming/confusing
This lack of self-control I fear is never ending
Controlling/I can't seem

To find myself again
My walls are closing in
(Without a sense of confidence, I'm convinced that there's just too much pressure to take)
I've felt this way before
So insecure

The bolded is highly suspected to be emo lyric-wise. If it isn't emo, I don't see how an emo genre can exist when he's essentially saying he wants to disappear, he hates himself, etc.
Nu Metal doesn't sit right with me, because of the fact they aren't metal.

Also, a few of my friends are LP fans. Worst joke about it they get is the orange one <_<

Recent FCs: Man In The Box (Guitar)

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
Started: July 31st, 2010
Still don't wanna remove it! Happy it's here, though!
espher  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep trollin' trollin' trollin' trollin' (what)
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
lpunderground19  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did this topic turn into an LP hatefest anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Diemon Dave
uSound  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TensionSpree wrote:

The bolded is highly suspected to be emo lyric-wise. If it isn't emo, I don't see how an emo genre can exist when he's essentially saying he wants to disappear, he hates himself, etc.
Nu Metal doesn't sit right with me, because of the fact they aren't metal

Wikipedia. Yup, I'm using it.

Emo:
Quote:
As the style was echoed by contemporary American punk rock bands, its sound and meaning shifted and changed, blending with pop punk and indie rock and encapsulated in the early 1990s by groups such as Jawbreaker and Sunny Day Real Estate. By the mid 1990s numerous emo acts emerged from the Midwestern and Central United States, and several independent record labels began to specialize in the style.

Emo broke into mainstream culture in the early 2000s with the platinum-selling success of Jimmy Eat World and Dashboard Confessional and the emergence of the subgenre "screamo". In recent years the term "emo" has been applied by critics and journalists to a variety of artists, including multiplatinum acts and groups with disparate styles and sounds.

My take on this: Linkin Park is not a mix of pop punk and indie rock, nor do they sound similar to Sunny Day Real Estate, Jimmy Eat World or Dashboard Confessional.

Nu-metal:
Quote:
Bands associated with nu metal derive influence from a variety of diverse styles, including electronica, funk, glam rock, gothic rock, grunge, hardcore punk, hip hop, industrial rock and jazz. While electric guitar plays a strong part in the sound of nu metal bands, turntables, sequencers and samplers also play an important part in the sound. Many nu metal bands use seven-string guitars, which are sometimes down-tuned to increase heaviness, resulting in bass guitarists using five and six-string instruments.

The lyrics of many nu metal bands focus on pain and personal alienation rather than traditional heavy metal themes.

My take on this: Linkin Park utilizes the parts that are bolded in the above quote.

To sum up: Linkin Park is not emo when discussing the genres of music, they are nu-metal (at least Hybrid Theory, Reanimation and Meteora are), regardless of how much metal is truly an influence on each particular song. Whether or not you think they are emo based on
Urban Dictionary for Emo #2 post wrote:
"Emo guy goes home and cries, proceeds to write a weak song and strum a single string on his acoustic guitar. Another emo chick sees how he is so in touch with his feelings, and the cycle continues."

does not matter, because musically (and based on the real definition) they just aren't emo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: uSound PSN Name: uSoundSH
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean no Nickelback DLC? LOL.
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
Does this mean no Nickelback DLC? LOL.

Sadly. I'd laugh my ass off if a Nickelback song was playable in L:RB. Well I don't see why not... Fat Bottomed Girls is for whatever reason.

Recent FCs: Man In The Box (Guitar)

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
Started: July 31st, 2010
Still don't wanna remove it! Happy it's here, though!
killzonedout  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tension, you'se mighty good at trollin'.

Seriously, you're pretty damn good at it. It's actually amusing.
espher  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killzonedout wrote:
Tension, you'se mighty good at trollin'.

Seriously, you're pretty damn good at it. It's actually amusing.

He's slowly ruining his chance to keep at it by making obvious mistakes and misquotes.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
footballtom3685  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpunderground19 wrote:
How did this topic turn into an LP hatefest anyway?
I was wondering the same thing.

Tensionspree: If you continue posting like this you will not be around much longer.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: