FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anyone remember the rumoured "Rock Band: Nickelback"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sk84life293  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:

All he was really doing was encouraging people to learn real instruments instead of spending endless hours playing video games that simulate real instruments. That's not nearly as bad as the "Haha rhythm games are stupid!" that people have been misquoting it to be.

I hope this doesn't refer to me, and I'm not implying that you implied that I did in fact misquote, but just reiterating this to everyone: I never said that Chad made a directly negative comment, but you could easily view the whole "don't waste time on fake instruments, learn realtar nub" thing as bashing... right?

PlexShaw wrote:
I attended the RBN keynote at PAX last September and they said that the whole "Rock Band: Nickelback codename" thing was not true.

What company in their right mind would openly admit to something like that, especially if it was only referred to RB: Nickelback internally, a code name of sorts? Obviously the HMX employees did so as a joke, if this is indeed true. I just thought that this was all a rather interesting find and I know that it hadn't been posted up on our forums.
Andrew-Buch  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the release of "Rock Band: Pickle"
Nuke39  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:
CHawk wrote:
Nickelback took a shot at rhythm games in general, saying that people should pick up the real thing, saying that it's a waste of time, etc. It's only fair that Harmonix fired back at least once.

I love how people grossly misquote what Kroeger actually said. He never said rhythm games are a waste of time. He was saying that it's really hard to put a good tour lineup together nowadays because there's few good new rock bands coming out.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1599652/20081118/nickelback.jhtml
Quote:
"I feel like there's not enough rock bands out there, especially when we go on the road," said Kroeger, who performs with the Canadian rock outfit on "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" on Wednesday night. "It's tough to find other bands out there, because either they're making a record, or they just got done touring. So kids: Start rock bands. Set down the 'Guitar Hero,' learn how to play an actual guitar and start a band, because it's hard to find more bands to put a solid rock-and-roll package together, to get out there. It's getting harder and harder, but I think we've done it."

All he was really doing was encouraging people to learn real instruments instead of spending endless hours playing video games that simulate real instruments. That's not nearly as bad as the "Haha rhythm games are stupid!" that people have been misquoting it to be.

I find that Kroeger saying that there aren't bands to put "A solid-rock-and-roll" package is a load of bullcrap. There are tons of bands out there, some of which we are discovering on RBN, but they just don't happen to have the same level of fans as Nickelback. I mean, Nickelback is doing a tour with Papa Roach, Shinedown and a one-hit wonder band called Saving Abel. Just because there are fewer bands in Nickelback's genre doesn't mean that rock is going to die.
smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spekkio wrote:
TerminX13 wrote:

And I personally don't understand all the hate. They had some great songs (Just to Get High, Side of a Bullet, All the Wrong Reasons etc)

The problem is that Kroeger seems to take the whole sex, drugs and rock&roll thing a little too seriously. Everything after The Long Road reeks of pseudo-phylosophical garbage that has been written a thousand times, and/or sexual innuendo (which is hardly stealthy, somethinginyourmouthlolwut?) meticulously constructed to sell to albums. Try to find one song on Dark Horse that doesn't fit either of those criteria.

Silver Side Up and Long Road were solid albums, and the earlier stuff was ok. Beyond that, Chad regressed into highschool, both poetically and in sexual maturity, and started writing crap.

I was never one to believe in writing for mainstream, but if there was ever an example of music as a marketing strategy, Nickelback is it.

They are basically Spinal Tap in real life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickelback is the definition of what is wrong with music these days.

Nickelback is to suck, as absolute zero is to temperature. They really are one of the worst bands in the history of music.
davidshek  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmarko wrote:
Nickelback is to suck, as absolute zero is to temperature. They really are one of the worst bands in the history of music.

And yet millions and millions and millions of people still buy their records, and they win American Music Awards, Billboard Music Awards, 6 Grammy nominations, etc. Yeah, they obviously suck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that Nickelback is pretty generic, and found the comment in the OP funny. I also don't hate them, for that matter. I do have something to bring up, however, even if it's a bit off-topic and non-RBN-esque.

I've heard a lot of generic rock bands over time. They've existed for about half a decade. I don't think any of them have drawn as much attention as Nickelback, though. They are most certainly not an amazing band, but they aren't actually bad either, despite all of the hate some people give them (and to be fair, all bands have some form of hate thrown at them.) Is it possible that, in being so incredibly generic, that they've actually become unique in that aspect? They're so average that it loops back into something that is, for some reason, genuinely interesting. Think about it.
CCDaDon  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:
elmarko wrote:

And yet millions and millions and millions of people still buy their records, and they win American Music Awards, Billboard Music Awards, 6 Grammy nominations, etc. Yeah, they obviously suck.
That would probably have more to do with people having "bad taste" than anything. There are amazing artists that don't sell well and don't get nominated for anything. By your reply it could be said that your band sucks, which they don't, not even close.
SpellcasterX  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sedron wrote:
I do agree that Nickelback is pretty generic, and found the comment in the OP funny. I also don't hate them, for that matter. I do have something to bring up, however, even if it's a bit off-topic and non-RBN-esque.

I've heard a lot of generic rock bands over time. They've existed for about half a decade. I don't think any of them have drawn as much attention as Nickelback, though. They are most certainly not an amazing band, but they aren't actually bad either, despite all of the hate some people give them (and to be fair, all bands have some form of hate thrown at them.) Is it possible that, in being so incredibly generic, that they've actually become unique in that aspect? They're so average that it loops back into something that is, for some reason, genuinely interesting. Think about it.

I've actually thought this on numerous occasions and I'm inclined to agree. They're so stereotypically "what radio rock is" 5x more than any band I can think of, they're something different. I'm gonna go listen to that new album now.

Now, let's talk about Daughtry, who would then be ripping off Nickelback....(or not)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While HMX may not have said that about Nickelback, I do know that John T. Drake hates them, reading his tweets about Nickelback's performance at the Olympics.
elmarko  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:
elmarko wrote:

I really hope that is a joke. By your logic Celine Dion, Michael Bolton and Britney Spears are also awesome. Popularity does not equal quality, not by any stretch of the word.
reksav  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmarko wrote:
davidshek wrote:
elmarko wrote:

I really hope that is a joke. By your logic Celine Dion, Michael Bolton and Britney Spears are also awesome. Popularity does not equal quality, not by any stretch of the word.

last i checked celine dion, michael bolton, and brittney spears are awesome at what they do.
MarsPhoenix  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have new found appreciation for Nickelback after listening to the ACTUAL worst band in the world, Brokencyde.
davidshek  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmarko wrote:

I'm not gonna argue about Britney Spears, but despite the fact that you may not like them, Dion is a HELL of a singer. So is Bolton.

Britney Spears is not a singer. She's a performer (or entertainer, choose whichever word you like). Important distinction to make. And she's damn good at that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sk84life293 wrote:
What company in their right mind would openly admit to something like that, especially if it was only referred to RB: Nickelback internally, a code name of sorts? Obviously the HMX employees did so as a joke, if this is indeed true. I just thought that this was all a rather interesting find and I know that it hadn't been posted up on our forums.

I was just relaying what they told us. And I thought this info was posted here ages ago?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PlexShaw PSN Name: PlexShaw Wii Friend Code: 5941308033072690
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: