FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anyone remember the rumoured "Rock Band: Nickelback"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sk84life293  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Anyone remember the rumoured "Rock Band: Nickelback&quo Reply with quote

A while ago, rumor began circulating that Nickelback was considering inclusion into a rhythm game after initially bashing our beloved Rock Band and Guitar Hero series', saying something along the lines of

Quote:
"Start rock bands. Set down the Guitar Hero, learn how to play an actual guitar and start a band, because it’s hard to find more bands to put a solid rock-and-roll package together, to get out there."[1]

As it turns out, Harmonix did have a "Rock Band: Nickelback" project but it was never released to the public, and was only referred to this internally. The interesting part? The internal RB:Nickleback (Or RBN) was actually the code name for Rock Band Network. Here's what a NYTimes article says during an interview with HMX Founder, Alex Rigopulos:

Quote:
"The Rock Band Network is so potentially consequential that Harmonix went to great lengths to keep its development secret, including giving it the unofficial in-house code name Rock Band: Nickelback, on the theory that the name of the quintessentially generic modern rock group would be enough to deflect all curiosity."[2]

This is stated in the paragraph right above, "A CYLINDER FITTED" in the article linked. So basically, the devs used this oppurtunity to take a shot at Nickelback, implying that Nickelback is such a boring and uninteresting band, that no one would bother looking into it too much. Technically, they were right, weren't they? No one had any idea that the RBN was coming before it's first public announcement.

EDIT: I can't be the only one who found this ironic and incredibly funny >_>
Can I?
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How clever.
RadioDuke  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading the NY Times article back when the RBN was first announced. Now that I think about it, I don't remember ever seeing it discussed here. Just on the official forums.

If you are on Scorehero, put this in your sig. Let's see how many people on ScoreHero are on Scorehero!
CCDaDon  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the "quote" in the NY Times article was a joke by the author of the article, and not really from a HMX rep.

I'm also pretty sure that those Nickleback rumors were in reference to Nicklebacks Rhythm Game debut in the form of DLC for GH:WT.

Sorry I like to kill all things funny. Oh, c'mon, no! Don't tell mom! Damnit!
Magnet  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCDaDon wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the "quote" in the NY Times article was a joke by the author of the article, and not really from a HMX rep.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
CCDaDon  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnet wrote:
CCDaDon wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the first time, even though I'm pretty sure I don't remember me being wrong, which I'm pretty sure it's because I block those memories from my brain.
Prophet  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, find this fucking hilarious! It's sooo funny that they used everyone's "hatred" (for some reason I can't comprehend--I actually like Nickelback but w/e) of the band to fend off anyone from probing for details. I greatly applaud HMX for using this to their advantage.

And as it turns out, RB:"Nickelback" is gonna be awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i read the title and thought to myself "OH GOD PLEASE DON'T BE TRUE!".

now that i've read the OP, rack up another epic win for hmx, not only successfully hiding RBN, but bashing a crappy band at the same time =D

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
LaserAntigrav  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud you, Harmonix.

This is genius.

"The Halo over my demise / Following a God so blind / Shallow in their sickening, swallow not the shit they feed."
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: g3arsofwar0wns PSN Name: sacredring
SpellcasterX  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the odds we'll be getting Nickelback on RBN now :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how Harmonix's founder bashes Nickelback, when "generic modern rock" has been a good chunk of the company's DLC over the past few years. The Nickelback hate bandwagon is stupid. Yes, they are bad. But many many other bands are just as bad.
bignate1011  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone remember the rumoured "Rock Band: Nickelback Reply with quote

sk84life293 wrote:
EDIT: I can't be the only one who found this ironic and incredibly funny >_>
Can I?

No you are not. I find this absolutely hilarious, NOW. I was actually considering swearing off RB for good if RB: Nickelback actually came out. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief knowing it was never actually going to happen... At least I hope it was never actually going to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpellcasterX wrote:
So what are the odds we'll be getting Nickelback on RBN now :P

We are getting them in the form of Seether. :P
Pereira  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

005 wrote:
I like how Harmonix's founder bashes Nickelback, when "generic modern rock" has been a good chunk of the company's DLC over the past few years. The Nickelback hate bandwagon is stupid. Yes, they are bad. But many many other bands are just as bad.

I think it's an undeniable fact that Nickelback is a generic rock group. He's not bashing them or saying their songs are bad, that's just Nickelback's sound.
TerminX13  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing this a while back.

If it's true, it ticks me off to no end. I knew there were a lot of a-holes on the Internet ready to bash Nback left and right, but Harmonix? I'd have thought they were better than that. :c

And I personally don't understand all the hate. They had some great songs (Just to Get High, Side of a Bullet, All the Wrong Reasons etc), it's just that they never released them as singles for some reason.. only the crappy ones were singles (Except Burn It To the Ground, that one's alright).

Twitter | Trollbean | RateYourMusic | Hummingbird
Accomplishments:
RB (Latest: 25 or 6 to 4)
GHL (Latest: GHL FGFC)

Greatest canine ever to play the plastic guitar
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: