FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Trippolette Lives on the Rock Band Network!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaximusDM  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sadistic would have been had they not charted hopos and had no solo sections so you could play it Guitar Hero 1 style?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Trippolette Lives on the Rock Band Network! Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the feedback guys - I'm really happy to see so many people getting into it. And congrats to all of you who have FC'd it so far! I'll readily admit that I have yet to FC it myself...

To address a few questions:

SpudY2K wrote:
inv4der wrote:

Also, anyone know how fast that strumming on bass is? I thought it felt like high 12, low 13 nps.

13.7, assuming it has the same BPM as it did in GH1.

This is correct - the bass riff there is 13.7 nps. Straight 16th notes at 206 bpm.

BShea wrote:
Andrew, do you have plans for more stuff from you on RBN?

Yes! I'm planning on writing some more material specifically for RBN at some point soon.

However, in the short-term I have been authoring other artist's - many of whom have similar challenges in their music. For instance, I am authoring a few songs by the phenomenal "improg" jam-band Umphrey's McGee. You can check out a demo of some of my work with them here:

Umphrey's McGee in Rock Band - 1348 & Miss Tinkle's Overture

They're really cool guys, and I recently had the opportunity to sit-in with them on bass at a show! I've got a video of that up on YouTube too if you take a look at my "phnord" account.

dudextr wrote:
Great song Andrew on every instrument, although I really dislike that one fill on drums. The polyrythmic one, toward the end of solo 2 (which I think is mischarted, but I don't want to question your charting abilities...). Other than that, I love this song, amazing job!

I'm glad you like it dudextr. However, I do have to tell you: that fill is definitely correct. It looks a little off on-screen, but that's because you have the kick-drum playing straight 8th-notes while your hands are doing triplet 8th-notes.

The end result looks like this, in-which each "tick" is a 16th-note triplet at 207 bpm:

Code:
Green:  |------|------|------|---*--|---*--|---*--|*-----|
Blue:   |------|------|--*-*-|*--*--|------|---*--|------|
Yellow: |------|*-*-*-|*-----|------|---*--|------|------|
Red:    |*-*-*-|------|------|------|------|------|*-----|
Kick:   |*--*--|*--*--|*--*--|*--*--|*--*--|*--*--|*-----|

It's definitely tough to digest seeing it laid-out on a track scrolling at you. Does seeing it written out like this give you a different perspective?
Xusder  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I can't speak for my guitar/drum skills, but the bass in this song absolutely rocked.

Loved it, and worth every penny to get!

ALL OF MY D.L.C. All RB 1/2 DLC, All RB:N DLC, All TB:RB DLC, All Exports (RB 1/L:RB/GD:RB). Pray for my Hard Drive!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Xusder PSN Name: Xusder Wii Friend Code: 2904437187104594
dudextr  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Trippolette Lives on the Rock Band Network! Reply with quote

Andrew-Buch wrote:
dudextr wrote:
Great song Andrew on every instrument, although I really dislike that one fill on drums. The polyrythmic one, toward the end of solo 2 (which I think is mischarted, but I don't want to question your charting abilities...). Other than that, I love this song, amazing job!

I'm glad you like it dudextr. However, I do have to tell you: that fill is definitely correct. It looks a little off on-screen, but that's because you have the kick-drum playing straight 8th-notes while your hands are doing triplet 8th-notes.

The end result looks like this, in-which each "tick" is a 16th-note triplet at 207 bpm:

Code:
Green:  |------|------|------|---*--|---*--|---*--|*-----|
Blue:   |------|------|--*-*-|*--*--|------|---*--|------|
Yellow: |------|*-*-*-|*-----|------|---*--|------|------|
Red:    |*-*-*-|------|------|------|------|------|*-----|
Kick:   |*--*--|*--*--|*--*--|*--*--|*--*--|*--*--|*-----|

It's definitely tough to digest seeing it laid-out on a track scrolling at you. Does seeing it written out like this give you a different perspective?

Okay, I understand it quite a bit better now. You are right about it looking a little odd, when playing in a random run, especially without BNS. I tried yesterday to play the section at 50% speed with BNS, and I managed to figure out a few parts to the pattern.

I am a drummer in real life, and that part just didn't seem charted properly then. I can see the logic now through your notation, so it is a lot clearer in my head.

I have to say it again, THE GUITAR PART IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT AND AMAZING.

Thanks for the fun times Scorehero, I will never forget you.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Stuff24
Andrew-Buch  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Trippolette Lives on the Rock Band Network! Reply with quote

MaximusDM wrote:
How sadistic would have been had they not charted hopos and had no solo sections so you could play it Guitar Hero 1 style?

I actually did consider this for a little while... but I decided that it would be more fun this way.

Perhaps I'll release an "old-school" style version with no hopo's at some point for the die-hard fans of the original? I'll have to see if HMX will let me release two authoring's of the same material...

dudextr wrote:
Okay, I understand it quite a bit better now. You are right about it looking a little odd, when playing in a random run, especially without BNS. I tried yesterday to play the section at 50% speed with BNS, and I managed to figure out a few parts to the pattern.

I am a drummer in real life, and that part just didn't seem charted properly then. I can see the logic now through your notation, so it is a lot clearer in my head.

I'm glad I could help, dudextr.

dudextr wrote:
I have to say it again, THE GUITAR PART IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT AND AMAZING.

Thanks man! You know, that second guitar solo was originally written specifically with Guitar Hero in mind. The original version of the song (see here) was deemed too fusiony for Guitar Hero, so I tried to beef it up into Prog Rock with that solo I crafted for the game.

Ultimately it was cut anyway, but lucky for us the files were never deleted from the disc - allowing me to hack up a Gamshark / Codebreaker / Action Replay code to access it. And now it can finally be played legitimately for the first time!
banjokazooie  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my first comment I came home and picked up the song and enjoyed a ton. It's an extremely fun guitar song, and though I FC'd it pretty quickly it's not an easy full combo. That second solo has a lot of places to trip you up. The bridge part with the HO/PO chords is awesome to play, and the HO/PO chords actually work right. Great job man, look forward to more music from you in the future!

Progress: 20/42, Last: Love Bites (So Do I) (9th ever FC cross-platform!)

Best FCs-
FCPREMIX, TtL CoD, CoP, NotB (GH3), RtL, Wasted Years, Peace Sells (RB)
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the most fun song I've played on guitar, I love you :>
MuDvAyNe  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trippolette Lives on the Rock Band Network! Reply with quote

Andrew-Buch wrote:
Do you think you have what it takes to defeat the almighty Trippolette?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8pjZ2z9vi4

I was actually able to FC the bass on sightread and then recorded this video just two runs after that. Guitar took a little more work though :P

<--Click the banner for the video
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: oXMuDvAyNeXo
reksav  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trippolette Lives on the Rock Band Network! Reply with quote

Andrew-Buch wrote:
However, in the short-term I have been authoring other artist's - many of whom have similar challenges in their music. For instance, I am authoring a few songs by the phenomenal "improg" jam-band Umphrey's McGee. You can check out a demo of some of my work with them here:

Umphrey's McGee in Rock Band - 1348 & Miss Tinkle's Overture

They're really cool guys, and I recently had the opportunity to sit-in with them on bass at a show! I've got a video of that up on YouTube too if you take a look at my "phnord" account.

any chance of more stuff to come from umphreys? perhaps some live tracks?
Andrew-Buch  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trippolette Lives on the Rock Band Network! Reply with quote

MuDvAyNe wrote:
I was actually able to FC the bass on sightread and then recorded this video just two runs after that. Guitar took a little more work though :P

Congrats man! That's pretty impressive - FC'ing the bass your first time through with that lick at the end of the 2nd solo.

I took a look at some of your other videos - specifically, the one-finger Jordan pass. Back when I was working QA at Harmonix on the first two guitar heros, I used to think I was bad-a$$ because I was the first person (and one of the only people internally at HMX) to beat / 5-star the hardest songs in the games (Bark at the Moon in GH1, Freebird and Jordan in GH2). But you guys here have obviously taken all of that to a whole different level...

reksav wrote:
any chance of more stuff to come from umphreys? perhaps some live tracks?

Yes - there's definitely more in the pipeline! I can't say much, but I do believe it's been revealed that at least some of it will be live tracks.

By the way, since you're an Umphrey's fan I thought I'd post the video of myself sitting in with them here in case you or anyone else here was interested:

Andy Buch jams w/ Umphrey's McGee!

- Andy
Steebeh  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://twitpic.com/1702xa

I kicked its ass too.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: II Steebs II PSN Name: SGTV-Steebs
banjokazooie  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Andy would you say that your Tripolette is representative of your other work? I really like the style of the song but at the same time you're obviously a very skilled guitarist and I'd be happy to see a song by you in a different style as well. Thanks for all your work on the games, it's crazy to see you on the forums like this haha.

Progress: 20/42, Last: Love Bites (So Do I) (9th ever FC cross-platform!)

Best FCs-
FCPREMIX, TtL CoD, CoP, NotB (GH3), RtL, Wasted Years, Peace Sells (RB)
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww315/stewoiscoolSH/IMG_3574.jpg
ding! One of the new songs even after I FC it, I will play it again.
Andrew-Buch  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjokazooie wrote:
So Andy would you say that your Tripolette is representative of your other work? I really like the style of the song but at the same time you're obviously a very skilled guitarist and I'd be happy to see a song by you in a different style as well. Thanks for all your work on the games, it's crazy to see you on the forums like this haha.

Well, if you take a look at my website (http://www.andrewbuch.com), you'll see that I don't have anything else up there that is quite like Trippolette. Most of the stuff I have up there right now consists of film scoring projects for Berklee and other compositions.

That being said, I am planning on making more tunes in a similar vein to Trippolette - songs that are specifically written to be awesome in Rock Band. The problem is that right now I'm swamped with authoring work, but as soon as I have some free time that's one of my plans in the near-future.

By the way, thank you very much for the compliments! However, I have to point out that while I composed every note you hear in the guitar solo I did not perform it myself. I'm mainly a bassist myself so my guitar chops are not quite that fast yet...
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend actually told me about this song and he said it wasnt in GH because it was too hard so naturally I downloaded it immediately. I just wanted to say it's an incredibly fun song on all instruments, particularly Guitar imo, and it was well-charted. Thanks and I really hope it gets released on the PS3 and sells well.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: