FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Considering the Destroyer Pedal; a few questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthMarth  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Considering the Destroyer Pedal; a few questions Reply with quote

I'm a veteran GH/RB player who increasingly prefers playing drums. I've gotten pretty far using the stock GH:WT set, but I'm starting to feel like upgrading the pedal as my stock one seems to be wearing down. I'm a big fan of AzuriteReaction and apparently he uses the Destroyer; I figure if it's good enough for him, it's certainly good enough for me. I just had a few questions about the pedal before I spend any money.

1. The Destroyer Pedal is compatible with my GH:WT set, right? I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I was looking on RBP.com and saw that some of the pedals seemed to be specific to Rock Band or Guitar Hero. Is this just which set they're physically made to fit to?
2. I saw a review video that seemed to indicate that the Destroyer doesn't have velcro or anything on the bottom to attach it to the floor. Is this true? I absolutely need everything to stay put when I'm drumming. Could anyone who has the Destroyer share how well it stays put (especially on carpet)?
ricecake  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering the Destroyer Pedal; a few questions Reply with quote

DarthMarth wrote:
1. The Destroyer Pedal is compatible with my GH:WT set, right?

No, the GH:WT set's drum pedal needs a piezo trigger, whereas the Rock Band kit uses a simple on-off switch (which is what the Destroyer and the Rock Pedal both use). I believe if you want to use it with the GH:WT set, you will need to get a kick trigger (like the KP65, KD8, or Roadie Kick Rocker).

DarthMarth wrote:
2. I saw a review video that seemed to indicate that the Destroyer doesn't have velcro or anything on the bottom to attach it to the floor. Is this true? I absolutely need everything to stay put when I'm drumming. Could anyone who has the Destroyer share how well it stays put (especially on carpet)?

I'm not sure about the Destroyer, but the Rock Pedal definitely has the velcro, and also has carpet spikes.

Finally, I would recommend a Rock Pedal over the Destroyer. RockBandParts.com and Cena both stopped endorsing them, and the Rock Pedal is much more adjustable than the Destroyer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering the Destroyer Pedal; a few questions Reply with quote

DarthMarth wrote:
1. The Destroyer Pedal is compatible with my GH:WT set, right? I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I was looking on RBP.com and saw that some of the pedals seemed to be specific to Rock Band or Guitar Hero. Is this just which set they're physically made to fit to?

No it is not. GH and RB pedals use different types of triggering mechanisms (piezo vs. switch). Without getting into too much detail, they are not cross-compatible, and Destroyer Pedals are RB pedals, not compatible with GH kits.

DarthMarth wrote:

Yes, that's true. The Destroyer Pedal is a real kick pedal (albeit an incredibly low quality one), which does not come with velcro on the bottom. If you wish, you could always go to a crafts store and buy some double-sided velcro tape and put some on yourself. But it does have 2 carpet spikes, like most real kick pedals do, and should stay reasonably still on carpet, like most real kick pedals do.

But before you buy a Destroyer Pedal, you should be aware that both Cena and Rock Band Parts have dropped support for that product. So you might want to consider another pedal (like the Rock Pedal, for example).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dV2m773npo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing I asked. Apparently the Omega Pedal has a GH version. How does it compare to the Destroyer/Rock Pedal?
davidshek  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthMarth wrote:
Good thing I asked. Apparently the Omega Pedal has a GH version. How does it compare to the Destroyer/Rock Pedal?

It doesn't. Let's just leave it at that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the good pedal goes with the bad drums, and vice versa. (I don't trust the Rock Band drums ever since I saw the green pad literally break off a set and dangle by the wires) I may have to just get an Ion. I assume the Destroyer and Rock Pedals work with that?
RockBandParts  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthMarth wrote:
So the good pedal goes with the bad drums, and vice versa. (I don't trust the Rock Band drums ever since I saw the green pad literally break off a set and dangle by the wires) I may have to just get an Ion. I assume the Destroyer and Rock Pedals work with that?

Yes, but you will need a small adapter. 1/8" to 1/4" adapter - you can get them from Radio Shack or most electronic stores.

FYI: We include the ion adapter with the rock pedal when buy it from RBP, and it is currently less money than the rock pedal site

XCELL Pads, Pintech, IONS, ROADIE, Guitars and more!

If you have no idea what my avatar is about, then you need to subscribe to my youtube channel.
DarthMarth  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit more research, it appears that there may be an adapter to make the Rock Pedal work with GH:WT drums. The Rock Pedal FAQ mentions it, but doesn't provide any more information. I'm a bit confused, though, as it appears to be a Y-splitter, which I already have. I don't see how a Y-splitter could convert the signal into something my drums could recognize either.

EDIT: I'm getting more confused; it's surprisingly hard to find authoritative information on this hardware and its compatibility. As far as I can tell, these are my options:
    Buy the Rock Pedal or Destroyer Pedal along with some kind of adapter to enable them to work with WT drums. Problem: I can't find this adapter.
    Buy the Omega Pedal for WT. Problem: It's supposedly inferior.
    Buy one of the Destroyer Pedals that is said to be for WT. Problem: I'm wondering why these pedals have an attached beater and practice pad. Why is there no version of the regular Destroyer pedal that works with WT drums, so it instead needs these extra parts that increase the cost?
    Buy the Ion and Destroyer/Rock Pedal. Be happy. Problem: Expensive.
CodyD165  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's always the option of buying a kick trigger like the Yamaha KP65 for use with the Rock Pedal to get it to work with WT drums. The signal from the kick trigger works with WT drums and you could hook the Rock Pedal (with beater) to it. But again, that's more money.
davidshek  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthMarth wrote:
Buy the Rock Pedal or Destroyer Pedal along with some kind of adapter to enable them to work with WT drums. Problem: I can't find this adapter.

The adapter they're talking about (at least the only one I know of) is the GH Twin Rocker:
http://www.omegamusictechnology.com/products/twin-rocker

This is the same adapter that Omega sells to make their pedal work with the GH kits.

DarthMarth wrote:
Buy one of the Destroyer Pedals that is said to be for WT. Problem: I'm wondering why these pedals have an attached beater and practice pad. Why is there no version of the regular Destroyer pedal that works with WT drums, so it instead needs these extra parts that increase the cost?

Like I said earlier, because GH and RB drums function differently, and the Destroyer Pedal is built with a switch sensor made for RB drums. In order for it to work with GH drums, a piezo sensor needs to be added to it, ie. a kick trigger pad (that's what you see in those pictures, the "Destroyer D" pad is really a Gibraltar GBDP practice pad with a piezo sensor modded inside it)

DarthMarth wrote:
Buy the Ion and Destroyer/Rock Pedal. Be happy. Problem: Expensive.

Forget Destroyer. Forget their modded "D" practice pads. Just get a kick trigger pad and pedal. You can pick up a Yamaha KP65 trigger pad for $60 brand new, and then buy a used kick pedal at your local music store for like 25 bucks. That's the same amount of money you'd spend on a Rock Pedal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution: build it myself! I pretty much did what this guy did. It's incredibly sensitive and I hope it doesn't double-hit, but if it does, I can just open it up and fix it! I just need to make a stand for the pad, as my cable uses the hole the stand would be mounted on and I'm too cheap to buy one.[/url]
DarthMarth  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the piezo trigger was problematic. I got a reed switch and installed it; it works perfectly. I'm keeping the practice pad, so it feels like a real pedal with the responsiveness of the magnetic switch. Just waiting on the adapter so I can use it with my drums...[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: