FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2/9/10 DLC - Rust In Peace
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
u5bLue  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMFG THANK YOU GOD

25 Expert FCs [X]
30 Expert FCs [] (29)
40 Expert FCs [] (29)
5* TTFAF [X]
5* DWDTG [X]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: u5bLue
Prong1978  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding this album to be a lot of fun on hard guitar and hard drums.

Here's some Hard Guitar FC Videos:

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZDV7omsDvw

Hangar 18:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAIdsAKcpXg

Tornado of Souls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJO09eMmJHE
drewbles  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was anyone else expecting descending gallops for the entrance of Holy Wars? That charted surprised me! But still in a good way, very fun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. The videos of these songs are very misleading - this is the most fun I've had on guitar in the longest time! I recommend every song!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just played the whole albums on drums, and it's definitely my favorite pack since Iron Maiden and one of my favorites in the game. There wasn't a single song I didn't really enjoy on drums (besides maybe Dawn Patrol, but that's obviously the odd one out on the album). The drums are definitely a lot easier here than on Peace Sells, although some parts still provide a good challenge (the intro to Polaris, the intro and outro to Five Magics, and Take No Prisoners and Poison Was The Cure as a whole), but it's probably more comparable to the Iron Maiden pack than Peace Sells in terms of difficulty. I found it more fun overall, though, since it had a lot more interesting, tricky parts and wasn't all just speed and fast bass.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the whole album on drums, but here are some thoughts on individual songs for those who are cherry-picking:

Polaris was definitely the highlight of the album on drums. The intro is really cool and challenging, and it's got a very wide variety of fun patterns, including some fun polyrhythms and some weird bass patterns that end up being more awkward than they look but are cool to play.

Take No Prisoners and Poison is the Cure are very fast and fairly challenging. The drums have a bit of a fast, punkish feel to them and resemble All I Want or Sorrow at times. They're a lot of fun, very energetic, and fairly challenging. No killers, but you won't breeze by them either.

Five Magics was the other one that provided a strong challenge, mainly because of a crazy part that happens a few times in the song with tons of quick pairs of bass hits and snare rolls. It's like non stop mini-quad fills for a while. The rest of the song has some interesting beats, although it's mostly on the slower side.

Hangar 18 and Holy Wars aren't quite as difficult, but are still tough and have some fun patterns. Both offer pretty good variety and a lot of interesting parts without ever killing your arms or leg.

Lucretia and Tornado of Souls are easier, but still interesting and tough. Both have fun patterns and enough good variety and fills to keep you entertained.

Dawn Patrol is more of a novelty than anything else. If you're buying the rest of the songs anyway (which you should), then you'll get this for free and save a dollar if you get the whole pack. If you're cherry picking, then there's no real reason to get this unless you think it would be funny to do the vocals (which, admittedly, it would be). The drums are very repetitive and easy (my friend and I thought we'd double sightread FCed it on drums and bass, but apparently I missed a random note early on), but the song's short enough that it ends before it gets too boring.

On guitar, the only songs I've played so far are Poison was the Cure and Hangar 18. Poison was the Cure's main riff is crazy and a lot of fun, but I failed right before the solo because I haven't played guitar in several months. Hangar 18's solos may be messy, but I found it every bit as enjoyable as I did back in Guitar Hero 2, and it's still as challenging as ever. Also, it's charted as having 8 solos, beating the previous record by 3. That's ridiculous and awesome.
johnnyhala  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormrider2112 wrote:
sean2490 wrote:
NexustEra wrote:
Like being too accurate in charting is apparently a bad thing.

It is a bad thing, don't patronize us.

This isn't a lose-lose situation for HMX either, there is a balance in the middle. If you don't chart all the notes in the song (electric eye) than that is just plain stupid. If you chart all the notes, but put them EXACTLY when they sound as apposed to being on-beat, that is also bad. Why? For me, it completely detracts from the fun. Another facet of this hyper-accurate charting is they generally fore-go the use of any actual pattern, and just lay the notes out in a ridiculous manner. I'm not saying that they should only use patterns, I'm saying that things like that part in Five Magics and the Tornado of Souls solo could have been much improved if they had worked on the pattern a little bit (and removed the strums )

In the end, I care most about fun too. Charting the notes as sloppily as they come gets in the way of my fun.
I love Rust In Peace, but the charting (expert guitar anyways) is horrible. Is Harmonix just using the RBN charting program on everything or do they just enjoy making tough charts absolutely absurd? Vibrato charted as trills (Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls), lots of poorly charted riffs...Take No Prisoners and Rust In Peace...Polaris were the only charts I actually LIKED. And let me reiterate, I fucking LOVE this album (I gave it a 96% on metal-archives.com before they started pruning reviews).

I completely agree. I love Megadeth, and I love RB. But I think some of these solos are just way overcharted. Some of the solos (no specific examples, sorry) sound as though there's pattern and reason intrinsic to them, but when I play it, it looks like someone dropped a bag of skittles on the fretboard, Jordan solo2b made more sense sometimes almost.

Still fun though, but imo, Peace Sells, way more fun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyhala wrote:
Stormrider2112 wrote:
sean2490 wrote:
NexustEra wrote:
Like being too accurate in charting is apparently a bad thing.

It is a bad thing, don't patronize us.

This isn't a lose-lose situation for HMX either, there is a balance in the middle. If you don't chart all the notes in the song (electric eye) than that is just plain stupid. If you chart all the notes, but put them EXACTLY when they sound as apposed to being on-beat, that is also bad. Why? For me, it completely detracts from the fun. Another facet of this hyper-accurate charting is they generally fore-go the use of any actual pattern, and just lay the notes out in a ridiculous manner. I'm not saying that they should only use patterns, I'm saying that things like that part in Five Magics and the Tornado of Souls solo could have been much improved if they had worked on the pattern a little bit (and removed the strums )

In the end, I care most about fun too. Charting the notes as sloppily as they come gets in the way of my fun.
I love Rust In Peace, but the charting (expert guitar anyways) is horrible. Is Harmonix just using the RBN charting program on everything or do they just enjoy making tough charts absolutely absurd? Vibrato charted as trills (Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls), lots of poorly charted riffs...Take No Prisoners and Rust In Peace...Polaris were the only charts I actually LIKED. And let me reiterate, I fucking LOVE this album (I gave it a 96% on metal-archives.com before they started pruning reviews).

I completely agree. I love Megadeth, and I love RB. But I think some of these solos are just way overcharted. Some of the solos (no specific examples, sorry) sound as though there's pattern and reason intrinsic to them, but when I play it, it looks like someone dropped a bag of skittles on the fretboard, Jordan solo2b made more sense sometimes almost.

Still fun though, but imo, Peace Sells, way more fun.

I could never criticize an opinion unless I reeeeaallly had something to say about it...

I'm just saying, like, you're complaining about the album being overcharted, and then you're saying that PEACE SELLS was way better?? Those were indisputably among the worst charts in RB history!! The notes in solos and tough parts were rarely even the same patterns! (The Conjuring, Wake Up Dead, My Last Words strumming, I Ain't Superstitious, Peace Sells last solo)...compared to that, honestly, are a few trills that hard for you guys? Certainly you've been playing this game long enough to be able to build a combo off a slow-mid speed trill; they serve more function than just adding more notes, they're also an impressive looking yet easy sequence that lets you build your rock meter and multiplier.

Sorry for the mini-rant ._.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these people saying Peace Sells was less lenient... the only fail spots I remember from Peace Sells are Solo 3 in Bad Omen and those bursts of gibberish in I Ain't Superstitious. I was terribly out of shape when I sightread these, but I still failed Holy Wars, Hangar 18, and almost Tornado of Souls. Some of the solo charting struck me as really silly. At least Peace Sells gave an impression of coherence (even if it overcharted a strumming section to stupid levels).

Take No Prisoners and Polaris were easily my favorite charts, and Lucretia was also pretty fun despite being the easiest song on the album. Poison Was the Cure probably would've been more enjoyable had I not sucked.

Also, this is more overtiered on drums than the Maiden pack was overtiered on guitar. Hangar 18 has no business in the last tier, and only Take No Prisoners seemed consistently difficult (note: TNP is also one of the best drum charts ever). This album has more last tier drum charts than Peace Sells, which is... dumb.

How disturbing.
PhatTrumpet  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
Can someone tell me what the intro riff of Lucretia might be reminding me of so I can put my mind at rest

To me it just sounds like about a million other metal guitar riffs, until they hit that minor 6 (the blue hold)... then it suddenly sounds distinctly like Megadeth.
Stormrider2112 wrote:
Vibrato charted as trills...

This is the only legit beef I can find with the charting; everything else seems somewhat nit-picky. It's a matter of consistency. Bending a note to create a vibrato effect should never be charted as a trill, and it generally isn't. But this album contains several instances of the contrary for no apparent reason.
Bass:      9,226,503 [58 GS, 57 FC]  13,319,824 [83 GS, 83 FC]  22,546,327 [141GS, 140FC]
Drums:    11,105,579 [57 GS, 37 FC]  15,512,780 [76 GS, 36 FC]  26,618,359 [133GS, 73 FC]
Vocals:   11,525,519 [58 GS, 58 FC]  17,302,340 [84 GS, 84 FC]  28,827,859 [142GS, 142FC]
All-Inst: 42,269,027 [231GS, 206FC]  61,262,972 [326GS, 271FC] 103,531,999 [557GS, 477FC]
Rock Band Accomplishments Thread | Guitar Hero Accomplishments Thread
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janus5k wrote:
Also, this is more overtiered on drums than the Maiden pack was overtiered on guitar. Hangar 18 has no business in the last tier, and only Take No Prisoners seemed consistently difficult (note: TNP is also one of the best drum charts ever). This album has more last tier drum charts than Peace Sells, which is... dumb.

This would have partially been fixed had Bad Omen been placed in Tier 7 where it belonged.
Wattershed  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great songs, poor charts. Solos are awesome but the the chord charting is "wrong". They could have mapped the chords much better. It's the musician side of me that twitches when the lowest chord or note in the song being charted as RY or R.
millross  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have really enjoyed playing these songs on Guitar, but I do agree that some of the solos, particularly in Hangar 18 are a bit weird.

I assume (and let's not forget that I have no evidence or facts) that they have outsourced DLC production to either a different internal team, or a partner/3rd party - because they're working on another game.

imho....etc

Goals in hindsight:
FC WGFA [x]
FC Feel the pain (GH:WT) [x]
FC Hush [x]

All goals achieved!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: InsatiableFiend PSN Name: InsatiableFiend
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janus5k wrote:
All these people saying Peace Sells was less lenient... the only fail spots I remember from Peace Sells are Solo 3 in Bad Omen and those bursts of gibberish in I Ain't Superstitious. I was terribly out of shape when I sightread these, but I still failed Holy Wars, Hangar 18, and almost Tornado of Souls. Some of the solo charting struck me as really silly. At least Peace Sells gave an impression of coherence (even if it overcharted a strumming section to stupid levels).

I think Peace Sells is obviously harder than RIP. Sure RIP's solos are tough as hell, but I thought most of RIPs main song parts were easier, giving more leniency to the song overall.

And I'm like you, that I went into RIP very out of practice and bombed solos pretty bad. That was different with Peace Sells, when I was in shape for the songs and I failed a few of them really hard. I think I couldn't beat Bad Omen or something for like a week and I failed on a few of the songs. I went and sightread every RIP song on guitar which kinda blew me away lol

Too much Guitar Hero for me. I'm sure to play the RIP stuff a few more times, but they need more consistent DLC I like to play, that also challenges me so I can keep up with Rock Bands timing window lol
Yewb  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never felt more metal in my life than when sightreading, on drums, the tempo change that signifies the start of the main guitar solo in Hangar 18.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
isolated999  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question, does anyone else get a sort of prog. feel from Lucretia?

Shoulder to the Plow XBass Failure stats (yes I'm keeping track <_<)
Outro FCs while missing during the Solo: 2
Outro Chokes: 15
Other various misses: ~50

Currently At: 80/84 RB2 XBass FCs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: