FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2/9/10 DLC - Rust In Peace
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterAce  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still release full albums on this game?

O_o

I thought that was just a fad.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Perfidious Sinn Wii Friend Code: 7718621967747715
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gallops...Triplets...Whatever XD And no they shouldn't have been HOPO's. They are strummed. Just kinda weird about the talk of hyper-accurate charting and they go and simplify this intro, heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZtkLFL4zWU
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
Gallops...Triplets...Whatever XD And no they shouldn't have been HOPO's. They are strummed. Just kinda weird about the talk of hyper-accurate charting and they go and simplify this intro, heh.

There's no reason to make those all strummed... most of his solos are strings of strums too but they're hopos as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystakin wrote:
MSH-Hitman wrote:

There's no reason to make those all strummed... most of his solos are strings of strums too but they're hopos as well.

Well sure, not everything should be perfect accurate. I just think for such a well known song, that intro is powerful and I think gallops would've fit it better. Not like it goes for too long that it was too much of a challenge to do so and really works right for the rest of the song.
cardfan212  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time we got Rust in Peace! But I am somewhat disappointed that there isn't "My Creation."
Adohu  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent DLC for guitar. I was somewhat afraid of the charts due to what occurred in the Iron Maiden pack, but most of these charts turned out great. The only ones that really irked me were Hangar 18 (what the fuck were they thinking...) and Holy Wars... The Punishments Due a little bit (just certain parts that got on my nerves). The charting of a few riffs was annoying (Tornado of Souls specifically, but just pitch problems, nothing that detracted from the overall enjoyment). As for whammying and bends charted, they only really annoy be when their preceded or followed up by ho/pos and such (see: The Trooper solo), and from what I can remember, the only songs that they annoyed me on was Lucretia (not sure about this, it was my first song and I barely remember it) and Hangar 18. So yeah, I'm very happy about the charts, and it wasn't a disaster to me like Iron Maiden was.

Sightreads were lotsa fun. No sightread FCs, unfortunately (could've had Rust in Peace... Polaris, Poison Was the Cure, and Take No Prisoners, but I made dumb mistakes in each), but these songs are filled with badassery. Not as much crazy riffage as Peace Sells album, but much more sexy solos (8 in Hangar 18, and 6 in Five Magics). My favorites to play were definitely Holy Wars... The Punishment Due and Five Magics.

I personally enjoy this over Peace Sells album, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm biased and musically enjoy Rust in Peace more, or not. There's nothing insanely hard like Peace Sells' crazy parts, either (Tornado of Souls solo B, and Five Magics 4th solo are the only really tough parts IMO). I find this album to be phenomenal and I think people would really be missing out if they didn't buy the full album.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just speaking for those who are not as proficient on guitar as others, this album was incredibly fun to play on guitar. Not QUITE as rough as Peace Sells (the album), but there were definitely a supply of challenges.

Lucretia was just a joy to play. I thought it was going to be a sightread fc till the solo hit. lol

I'm thankful Holy Wars intro was charted as HO sequences. You can strum them if you want, but it was a joy to play the intro without breaking combo.

Hangar 18 bothered me with the charting of whammy to trills, but it was minor. They weren't fast enough to take away from enjoyment.

Solaris was probably my favorite of the bunch to play on guitar, other than Lucretia. Lot of descending triplets and interesting patterns that i hit wondering just how I did so.

Take No Prisoners and Poison Was the Cure are by far the most difficult. I just snuck by with an 80% sightread on Poison and after 4 tries at Take No Prisoners, I can't get passed the intro. Neither are as difficult as Devils Island intro, but at least i had OD to suffer through that intro.

I'm mainly a drummer, so i'm looking forward to playing this album on drums. Took me a long time to beat most of the Peace Sells album. Now I can make it through the toughest songs on that album without too much worry. And this album looks like it could follow that same pattern.

wish me luck!
sean2490  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished playing the guitar parts.

I can't say that I'm necessarily disappointed with the charting, but that's only because my expectations were quite low to begin with. HMX really charts some riffs well. I thought Take No Prisoners and Poison Was the Cure were well charted, and very fun. But they fail pretty badly at chord changes (hated the GB- GY switch that recurred multiple times in Holy Wars, and they went around 2 minutes without using the orange fret in the middle of Tornado of Souls)

The solo's are what really brings it down though. What happened to old HMX charting?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played most of the album on guitar and bass and a few on drums, and have to say that I like the charts a lot, and don't really understand where this hate is coming from. Every solo I've played was fun and there really aren't any sections that annoy me. (Besides TNP bridge 1 on bass, but that's only because I can't hit it. >__>)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how everyone complained about Electric Eye's solo being dumbed down back in the day, and now everyone complains about solos being realistic. Also, lol @ "hyper-accurately charted" as opposed to "accurately charted." Like being too accurate in charting is apparently a bad thing.

They put in manual strums/HOPOs for realism and get teared apart for it because it's not fun anymore. They chart things with a method of emphasizing playability over realism and not placing in strums every time and proceed to get blasted for not being accurate. They just can't win. People are impossible to please.

I'm so happy I don't let nitpicking every little thing ruin my enjoyment of some of the most requested metal songs ever. I had the most fun on plastic guitar I've had in a year or so, and that's all I really care about.
sean2490  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NexustEra wrote:
Like being too accurate in charting is apparently a bad thing.

It is a bad thing, don't patronize us.

This isn't a lose-lose situation for HMX either, there is a balance in the middle. If you don't chart all the notes in the song (electric eye) than that is just plain stupid. If you chart all the notes, but put them EXACTLY when they sound as apposed to being on-beat, that is also bad. Why? For me, it completely detracts from the fun. Another facet of this hyper-accurate charting is they generally fore-go the use of any actual pattern, and just lay the notes out in a ridiculous manner. I'm not saying that they should only use patterns, I'm saying that things like that part in Five Magics and the Tornado of Souls solo could have been much improved if they had worked on the pattern a little bit (and removed the strums )

In the end, I care most about fun too. Charting the notes as sloppily as they come gets in the way of my fun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I only had enough to get two songs, but I still had the most fun I've had with RB for like half a year now.

Holy Wars' strumming riff was tough at first but I eventually got it, and is very fun when you get it down. The solos were pretty fun.

Hangar 18: Holy guitar solo batman! I could barely hit a thing, but I thoroughly enjoyed my ass-kicking. Very very very fun. One thing I don't get is the main riff though. Listen to the high notes, and when the high note is one note lower every third time, it sounds like it should be higher. So they kind of reversed it.

Can't wait till I possibly get more Wii Points next week.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean2490 wrote:
NexustEra wrote:
Like being too accurate in charting is apparently a bad thing.

It is a bad thing, don't patronize us.

This isn't a lose-lose situation for HMX either, there is a balance in the middle. If you don't chart all the notes in the song (electric eye) than that is just plain stupid. If you chart all the notes, but put them EXACTLY when they sound as apposed to being on-beat, that is also bad. Why? For me, it completely detracts from the fun. Another facet of this hyper-accurate charting is they generally fore-go the use of any actual pattern, and just lay the notes out in a ridiculous manner. I'm not saying that they should only use patterns, I'm saying that things like that part in Five Magics and the Tornado of Souls solo could have been much improved if they had worked on the pattern a little bit (and removed the strums )

In the end, I care most about fun too. Charting the notes as sloppily as they come gets in the way of my fun.
I love Rust In Peace, but the charting (expert guitar anyways) is horrible. Is Harmonix just using the RBN charting program on everything or do they just enjoy making tough charts absolutely absurd? Vibrato charted as trills (Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls), lots of poorly charted riffs...Take No Prisoners and Rust In Peace...Polaris were the only charts I actually LIKED. And let me reiterate, I fucking LOVE this album (I gave it a 96% on metal-archives.com before they started pruning reviews).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drum charts are awesome. I guess Harmonix overcompensated for last time though and wound up overtiering some of the songs this time, especially Hangar 18.

No GM/BFs in this album. Toughest are probably Take No Prisoners (which is a lot of fun!) and Five Magics (intro and ending are painful).

Bladder of Steel/Platinum Artist - 2/15/09
machchunk  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what the intro riff of Lucretia might be reminding me of so I can put my mind at rest
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: