FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
double elimination question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pagogi  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: double elimination question Reply with quote

ok I'm in the Team Cena bass tourney and I'm in the championship with corxlee. the whole tourney it has been double elimination so if you lose then you go to the lower bracket and if you lose again then that's it. I haven't lost yet and now bear (tourney cordinator) says I only get one chance in the tourney cuz it's the championship. now tell me if you think that's the right rules. I think that I have to lose twice cuz it's double elimination but I only have to win once. who's right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have the right to make the rules whatever they want, so what they says goes.

However, the typical rules of every double-elimination tournament sanctioned by any major sports or gaming league state that the player in the final who has already lost a match has to defeat the previously undefeated player twice in order to win the tournament, thus double elimination.

So according to what the rules "should" be, you are right and should get two chances, but Team Cena has the right to make the rules whatever they want.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterNobody wrote:
They have the right to make the rules whatever they want, so what they says goes.

However, the typical rules of every double-elimination tournament sanctioned by any major sports or gaming league state that the player in the final who has already lost a match has to defeat the previously undefeated player twice in order to win the tournament, thus double elimination.

So according to what the rules "should" be, you are right and should get two chances, but Team Cena has the right to make the rules whatever they want.

yeah I know but that just seems stupid to me. they didn't even like state it in the rules that the championship was gonna be single elimination.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that sucks. If your sure it wasn't in the rules than you have a very legitimate complaint, you should definitely talk to them about it. I'm sure there are sources all over the internet where you can prove to them that the two-match final is what's universally accepted as fair for a double-elim tournament

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterNobody wrote:
wow that sucks. If your sure it wasn't in the rules than you have a very legitimate complaint, you should definitely talk to them about it. I'm sure there are sources all over the internet where you can prove to them that the two-match final is what's universally accepted as fair for a double-elim tournament

well he pulled up some wikipedia page that I didn't even understand that apparently said that it could go either way but wikipedia isn't very reliable and he just said that that's how it's supposed to be. whatevs, I'll just play one round and do my best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pagogi wrote:
MasterNobody wrote:

well he pulled up some wikipedia page that I didn't even understand that apparently said that it could go either way but wikipedia isn't very reliable and he just said that that's how it's supposed to be. whatevs, I'll just play one round and do my best.

It should be 2 loses for the person with no loses..but I don't think you have anything to worry about. You're very beast. Best of luck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Elimination tournaments, as I know them and have played in them, always end up with the person who is the winner in the winners bracket has to win only one and the winner of the losers bracket has to win two, unless otherwise noted prior to the tournament taking place. I guess you could have the winner of the winners bracket vs the winner of the losers bracket in a one match final, but that's unfair to the winner in the winners bracket.

But seeing as this is probably a tournament for fun, I'd say not to fret too much about it and just have fun!
Thebeast1440  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I was in the same situation on the drums, I made it to the bracket final without losing, lost my first time, and now I'm outta the tourny. I was upset. It's just not fair that the people that do poorly in the beginning get rewarded with a second chance and the people that do well get punished. Oh well, I guess I'll go complain to them whenever they open up that tourny suggestions thread they said were gonna
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually in the same situation on guitar. Still haven't lost a match, but if I lose once now then I'm out. When it came down to the top two of the winners' bracket, either way we both just had to win one match during the next too rounds and we'd be even in there eyes. If I lost that round and won the next round, than I would be even to the person who won the first round and didn't play the second. There's really no incentive for winning that round other than saving 20 minutes of your life and not having to play the next round.

I've competed in at least half a dozen online tournaments and even more LAN tournaments where it's double elimination, and every single one of them has been that if the winner of the losers' bracket beats the winner of the winners' bracket once, then they need to do a final match since it's double elimination. This is true for every sporting event that I've competed in as well, not just video games.

Now, this is there tournament, and they have every right to run this tournament however they wish, but you would figure that they would tell us all the details of the tournament before it gets started. I don't know. I mean it was free to enter and they're doing a lot of work for four separate tournaments and giving away some good prizes, so I can't really complain, but this is something that they should definitely fix for next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brockbfball1563 wrote:
I'm actually in the same situation on guitar. Still haven't lost a match, but if I lose once now then I'm out. When it came down to the top two of the winners' bracket, either way we both just had to win one match during the next too rounds and we'd be even in there eyes. If I lost that round and won the next round, than I would be even to the person who won the first round and didn't play the second. There's really no incentive for winning that round other than saving 20 minutes of your life and not having to play the next round.

I've competed in at least half a dozen online tournaments and even more LAN tournaments where it's double elimination, and every single one of them has been that if the winner of the losers' bracket beats the winner of the winners' bracket once, then they need to do a final match since it's double elimination. This is true for every sporting event that I've competed in as well, not just video games.

Now, this is there tournament, and they have every right to run this tournament however they wish, but you would figure that they would tell us all the details of the tournament before it gets started. I don't know. I mean it was free to enter and they're doing a lot of work for four separate tournaments and giving away some good prizes, so I can't really complain, but this is something that they should definitely fix for next year.

I agree. they should've at least told us that it was going to be single elimination in the finals in the rules that they posted. but you are right, they are giving away some sweet stuff and we didn't have to pay so I guess it's fine to let it slide but they should def try something different next tourney.
I've never seen a tourney that's double elimination that has single elimination in the finals lol that's like an oxi-moron. oh well, no big deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: