FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
~!~ The Lazy Man's Authentic Drum Pedal Mod! w/ Pics ~!~
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshtbuff  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glaurung wrote:
The following link worked yesterday but the item seems to have been removed from Radio Shack's website. It was the same sensor as what was linked from The Source CC above which came with the cord attached, and was available in the US:
Directed 8600 Magnetic Micro Switch

Hopefully the removal is temporary and it will be listed there again soon. The only normally closed magnetic switch they have listed on their site now is this one, which doesn't come with the cord and looks a little bigger:
Directed 8601 Magnetic Switch

If you search for "Directed 8600" in Google (with the quotes) it'll come up with a few other places selling it.

THe second one is very similar to the one i got. Mine had wires attached to it already though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Practice pad necessary? Reply with quote

Gamewatcher wrote:
I did wonder whether it's important to have a practice pad and, if so, is the Gibraltar standing one the only real option for a bass pedal? I'm not finding any locally that aren't top mounting for snare practice. A guy at a music store told me to just use a cardboard box. Good advice?

-=Dave
BusyGamerNews.com

any practice pad will work, find one you like. for me I'm not using a gibraltar, instead i'm using a normal non-bass practice pad (had it lying around) on the floor. I haven't gotten the alarm contacts yet, but it works just fine and doesnt move on contact with normal drum hits. I'm sure some kind of rubber pad would work fine and be a cheaper solution
jdx2004  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
With these sensors that you recommended, (You can buy that sensor here: http://www.smarthome.com/7113.html ) I was wondering if you solder the stripped wire to the wire inside, or just put it half in and then put the screw back in over it. Thanks for you help.
Jabo  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdx2004 wrote:
Hey,
With these sensors that you recommended, (You can buy that sensor here: http://www.smarthome.com/7113.html ) I was wondering if you solder the stripped wire to the wire inside, or just put it half in and then put the screw back in over it. Thanks for you help.

The screws hold down the wire. No soldering is necessary.
Gamewatcher  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Practice pad necessary? Reply with quote

biggiemokey wrote:

any practice pad will work, find one you like. for me I'm not using a gibraltar, instead i'm using a normal non-bass practice pad (had it lying around) on the floor. I haven't gotten the alarm contacts yet, but it works just fine and doesnt move on contact with normal drum hits. I'm sure some kind of rubber pad would work fine and be a cheaper solution

So the beater just swings forward all the way to the floor? Never thought of that. You can tell I've never used professional equipment before.

Oh well, I've already won a used Gibraltar pad from eBay so I'll use that. Total cost for this project with shipping for the pedal, pad and switch is up to about $90, but if it works it will be worth it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does work nicely, if you try and do it with a double bass pedal however, you must make sure the other foot's connection is broke or it wont register. I miss a good number of notes when using both feet b/c of this. Any ideas?
Arakahn  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works awesomely great, however I found it better to put the sensors on the beater arm and the practice pad as it requires less foot motion to bring them apart, the arm having a wider motion that the pedal itself.

Also instead of removing the first pole (from the base of the drums) and puting the back pole behind the pad, I put it in front of the pad and superglued 5 layers of thick foam (leftovers from the drum silencer pad I had bought), as the base of the pad is to hight for the drum base to fit. This allows me to reach the pedal comfortably without having to either play with my foot under the throne or my arms almost completely extended.

The sensors (the one one the arm holds with mounting tape, which unfortunately does not hold on the pad. Notice that the beater is offset to the right a bit; this to put the pedal more to the right instead of having to play in front of the red pad, and also it reduces the bouncing effect of the beater, thus reducing false hits)

The position of the pad vs drum base

The *ahem, ghetto solution* of the superglued layers of foam

[/img]
v0lum3  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine has an extra one of these apparently http://www.giardinelli.com/product/Pearl-BD10-Bass-Drum-Practice-Pad?sku=448368&src=AWDT3E1

And I was wondering if anyone has seen one of them set up as a practice pad... I don't know if there's a reason they wouldn't work or not and I was just wondering
v0lum3  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mono Plug Reply with quote

Tsithlis wrote:
With these specific magnetic contacts that you are using I found a really useful item on Radioshack that may help with people who do not want to make one themselves. Its item #42-2454 its a 1/8" mono plug with the wire and prongs already attached and ready to be screwed into the magnetic contacts. This means no stripping wires or attaching anything just screw it on and go.

Damn... what would you need a 12 ft cord for?
jdx2004  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving the magnets on the beater arm and the practice pad head works perfectly for the double bass problem i had a couple posts ago. Now whats the best way to stick them to the pad?? Each kind of tape I had wasn't sticky enough.
Arakahn  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdx2004: I simply used ordinary duck tape and it holds perfectly. However very often the pads out of the box are covered with a fine powder to prevent the rubber from sticking during the manufacturing process, which could prevent the tape from sticking.

Just properly clean it with medical alcohol (make sure to use a cloth or towel that will not leave more residue behind...). Once done the tape should stick well.
Drakken  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the mono cable from my local Radio Shack today. They didn't have the magnetic contacts, so I ordered the switch from Smarthome. Thanks for the recommendation; I look forward to trying this out.
10 million (currently 10.53 million!)

FC Epic

Cyberscore - Great high scores site for other games
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Drakken688
Dacvak  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arakahn, putting the sensors on the beater/pad is BRILLIANT! I love it! I may end up building another one just to test that out.

I'm glad this mod is working out for you guys. I haven't been in this thread for a while, are there any unanswered questions I missed?

~Dac
Arakahn  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dacvak; I'm glad you like it.

And thanks for this great mod; using an alarm sensor was so obvious yet everybody else were trying to build complicated switches.
Jiiri  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dac, I mentioned this somewhere else but thought I'd ask you since your method looks like it works great. I live on an American military base in Italy and don't have access to all of this stuff since I can't trot down to the store and pick it up - also, many online retailers won't ship here. I'd be willing to pay you for your time ($75 or so) if you could throw one together for me. Let me know if you're interested at all!

Jiiri

email me at jiiri1 at yahoo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 3 of 33

Jump to: