FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
~!~ The Lazy Man's Authentic Drum Pedal Mod! w/ Pics ~!~
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabo  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this!

I was about to embark on the relay switch mod but was dreading the soldering part when I saw your method. I've already ordered the switch device from smarthome and I'll pick up a pre-made 1/8" mono plug cable from radio shack in the next couple of days. I've got a gibraltar practice drum pad, so I will use that also for the mod. I've got a funky old pedal laying around, but I think I want to use the same pedal I use on my kit. Right now, I'm planning on using velcro instead of tape to attach the switch to make it more portable between Rock Band and my real kit.

I'll post pics once I get it put together.
Tsithlis  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Mono Plug Reply with quote

With these specific magnetic contacts that you are using I found a really useful item on Radioshack that may help with people who do not want to make one themselves. Its item #42-2454 its a 1/8" mono plug with the wire and prongs already attached and ready to be screwed into the magnetic contacts. This means no stripping wires or attaching anything just screw it on and go.
joshtbuff  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dacvak wrote:
Siberian wrote:
Wouldn't this one also work?

http://www.smarthome.com/7352.html

Sounds like it's smaller then the one in your post and it's operational distance is shorter so it would be easier to mount. And if I'm reading it correctly it's the same type of circuit.

No, this would not work. It's missing the key ingredient, which is a Normally Closed circuit. See how it says: "Compatibility: Works with nearly all standard, hardwired alarm systems"

Most alarm sensors work on a normally open circuit, meaning when the two sensors are not within range, the circuit is completed. (Sounds stupid, but that's how alarms work.) It's absolutely crucial to get one that says Normally Closed, because otherwise, it'll work exactly opposite.

~Dac

i found normally closed sensors at radio shack. work great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Practice pad necessary? Reply with quote

I normally shy away from these kinds of projects, but this seemed very straightforward and I would love to trade up from that plastic piece of junk that came with the game. I just know I'll break it, and I like the idea of using a pedal with some real action to it.

So I ordered the contacts and they're on the way. Now I need to find a decent pedal - any brands to avoid? I think the one pictured might be a Pearl, and it looks seriously sturdy - but I can't find anything like it locally. The music stores in Seattle don't seem to have anything below $50-60, but I'm sure I'll eventually find something decent.

I did wonder whether it's important to have a practice pad and, if so, is the Gibraltar standing one the only real option for a bass pedal? I'm not finding any locally that aren't top mounting for snare practice. A guy at a music store told me to just use a cardboard box. Good advice?

-=Dave
BusyGamerNews.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Gamewatcher
Gamewatcher  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Mapex (used, but not much) off eBay. Looks decent. I'm wondering if I can simply remove the beater and have the pedal work more or less like the plastic one - only with better action.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could maybe recommend for people in Canada, The Source CC has a nice switch, prewired and with self-adhesive backing (avoiding the duck tape mess).

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Home+Security%2fAccessories&product=4900497

At 8$ it comes to about the same price as the other switch (if you count the shipping and the wires) and you won't have to bother about buying wires and attaching it.
ringmar  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Arakahn. I'll get one tonight and try it out.

I tried just plugging in (with a 1/4 -> 1/8 adapter) my dtxpress III electronic kit bass-drum pad, but it's not registering properly with any consistency. Maybe this magnetic switch option will work better.
Jabo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ringmar wrote:

I tried just plugging in (with a 1/4 -> 1/8 adapter) my dtxpress III electronic kit bass-drum pad, but it's not registering properly with any consistency. Maybe this magnetic switch option will work better.

Ringmar. Since you have a DTX kit, have you tried playing DrumMania? It's compatible with the DTX line. I've heard that its great fun and you're playing on a real kit. If you haven't, and you have a PS2 or a PS3 that plays PS2 games, you should definitely rent or pick up a copy to check it out. I don't think that it's out for PS3 yet.
Glaurung  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

information removed - see post below

Last edited by Glaurung on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arakahn  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Ringmar; let me know how it works, I haven't had the chance to pick one yet.
ringmar  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works VERY well so far. I put the sensor on the beater post instead of under the pedal.

I posted here:

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29517#29517
ringmar  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabo wrote:
ringmar wrote:

Ringmar. Since you have a DTX kit, have you tried playing DrumMania? It's compatible with the DTX line. I've heard that its great fun and you're playing on a real kit. If you haven't, and you have a PS2 or a PS3 that plays PS2 games, you should definitely rent or pick up a copy to check it out. I don't think that it's out for PS3 yet.

I have a PS2. How does my DTX kit connect to the PS2?
Jabo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ringmar wrote:
Jabo wrote:

I have a PS2. How does my DTX kit connect to the PS2?

It connects via a MIDII to USB converter. In the past, I've considered buying a DTXpress kit just to connect it to Drummania. I couldn't justify it, however, I already have an acoustic kit and the DTX would have been just for the game.

Rockband and Guitar hero are basically ripoffs of Guitar Freaks and Drummania. Games that were huge hits in Japan as long as 8 years ago. The only thing is Rockband has the great song list, but on Drummania you'd be playing the real drums.

It's not readily available. I did a quick google search. It seems there was a new version released in Oct 2007, but I'm guessing that was for the Japan market, since I didn't see it at gamestop or any other popular stores. I would check e-bay. Look for version 3 or 4. Make sure you get it without the game controller since you don't need it. I think it would totally be worth your time since you already have the DTX. There's also DTX mania if you have a PC.
jarhead1125  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: drum mod Reply with quote

im definitly gonna be tryin this, im so sick of my pedal not registering hits... not me mention i just broke it. im gonna fix it and try it as a double bass pedal though just for fun. thanks for the info and pics. this is so much easier than the reed switch one.

i just ordered the sensors, thanks for that link. ill let you know how it goes when i get it all done
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: hitman1125
Glaurung  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following link worked yesterday but the item seems to have been removed from Radio Shack's website. It was the same sensor as what was linked from The Source CC above which came with the cord attached, and was available in the US:
Directed 8600 Magnetic Micro Switch

Hopefully the removal is temporary and it will be listed there again soon. The only normally closed magnetic switch they have listed on their site now is this one, which doesn't come with the cord and looks a little bigger:
Directed 8601 Magnetic Switch

If you search for "Directed 8600" in Google (with the quotes) it'll come up with a few other places selling it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33

Jump to: