FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rock Band Green Day revealed.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OCEAT  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcharles wrote:
This game will have awesome instruments all around, especially drums and bass from the earlier albums. Can't wait!

See, here's where I have to respond. I've heard that drums are good, so I'll concede that a GH5 Seven and maybe a No Regrets might appear, and there might be some good bass lines, but for the most part I'm fairly certain that the patterns will be repeated endlessly. When I was at a rock camp (DayJams, if you must know), I was introduced to Green Day by the instructors showing us a chord progression that was "all over their music" (as if I'm trying to quote someone that long ago).

The point is, in the trailer we saw repeated GY, RB, and YO chords, and I think that we'll be seeing many, many more of those, which is a dealbreaker for me. I can't really talk about bass, since most of the time it's drowned out (to my ear). Drums, I'm pretty sure, will be a fun, albeit repeated, pattern.

This is why I liked TB:RB so much: there was amazing variety among the tracks. I never expected I Feel Fine or IWBYM, and the polyrhythm in GMGM blew my mind, as did the outro. The Beatles game worked because ther music is so incredibly diverse. Name another band that has songs like Dear Prudence, Come Together, Helter Skelter, and Something in their catalogue. The Beatles were constantly changing, and that variety makes a great game (to someone like me, who needs constant change or else something becomes boring, mindless, dull). I'm not saying that every band should go to India, but bands like Green Day, who focus mainly on one genre, are for a very specific audience. This is not a bad thing. I'd consider buying a GD 3- or 6-pack, play one or two at a time, but a whole game? I get the feeling that after a few hours of playing the game it'd become nothing but sound. A Punk Track Pack would be great, since there'd be several artists on it, each with their own different feel, but all GD, all the time? No, thanks.

Perhaps that's what Activision tried to do with their band-specific games: break up the monotony with some other artists. Hey, I kinda respect them a little more now. I'd like to see their take now.

If there's a Love Spreads or Constant Motion on there, I'll be surprised. My expectation so far consist of a disc full of Challenging Tier songs. While this is by no means bad, I want a few easier songs (Float On, Drain You, Conventional Lover) and some harder stuff (SttP, Visions, PA), and I don't think that they (HMX or GD) will deliver there.

I would rather they focus their time and effort on something with much more variety, a la RB3 (or RB Who: Compare Happy Jack and YMB on guitar, or Magic Bus (studio) with My Generation on drums (I would use Eminence Front, but that's not Moon). Also RB Rush: Everyone in that band is capable of intense variety in terms of sound and difficulty. The Camera Eye is a great example for guitar (the solo and the verse), as is Closer to the Heart contrasted with YYZ for drums. Hell, Rush could probably provide us with 84 songs resembling the difficulty of RB2's 84, as could the Who).

However, if they are working on multiple projects, could they please tell us that they have one team on this, one team on RB3, or RB:PJ/U2/Who? Someone said they have multiple dev teams now, and I'd like updates on their projects. Perhaps if I buy stock in HMX I can get in to shareholder meetings...

--
Haha, inadvertant wall of text. TL;DR (and I don't blame you): GD doesn't have the variety the Beatles did, and while this is not a bad thing, it prevents me, a person who needs constant change for things to remains interesting, from buying this game, which appears to be the same chords and patterns for 40 songs (though I might be biased and ignorant against GD).

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
xtreme2252  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:

Give me weekly DLC ANYDAY over RB3. Sure you can add 1 or 2 small features, but DLC beats out a disc game anyday.

But that's it. Green Day shouldn't be more than a few song packs. I mean, it'd be like if they released all the Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam songs as Foo Fighters: RB and Pearl Jam: RB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Xtreme2252
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making some broad assumptions about RB3 when you have no idea what it could be. For all we know it could add expert + drums, harmonies, a party play mode like GH5, all kinds of shit. It could be a piece of shit, point is you don't know.
xtreme2252  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakityyakblah wrote:
You guys are making some broad assumptions about RB3 when you have no idea what it could be. For all we know it could add expert + drums, harmonies, a party play mode like GH5, all kinds of shit. It could be a piece of shit, point is you don't know.

Actually, all that stuff would be cool if done right. (ESPECIALLY Expert+ drums. don't think that's something to complain about)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Xtreme2252
OCEAT  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:

This could still very well be a Track Pack. We don't know. But if it is a Track Pack, don't you think they would want to do better than last time? Did you buy the AC/DC pack? If someone did this kid of thing for your favorite band, I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining.

I got the impression from the press release that one would be playing through the discography. So it might be a TP with GD skins, but I think they'll have a full game.
Any programmers on SH? How long does it take to chart 40 songs, model the artists, adjust the avatar movements, and reskin the menus/venues?

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtreme2252 wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

Actually, all that stuff would be cool if done right. (ESPECIALLY Expert+ drums. don't think that's something to complain about)

If done right, then exactly. People are like wanting RB3 SO badly, but it could be identical to RB2 with a new track listing. It could be like TBRB gameplay with obviously different track listing, or it could be even better. My point is that until we hear anything about it, there should really not be people dying to get to RB3 since DLC is more than enough for now, and allows people to pick and not get deadlocked into an 80 song setlist.

xtreme2252 wrote:
internetguy87 wrote:

Give me weekly DLC ANYDAY over RB3. Sure you can add 1 or 2 small features, but DLC beats out a disc game anyday.

But that's it. Green Day shouldn't be more than a few song packs. I mean, it'd be like if they released all the Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam songs as Foo Fighters: RB and Pearl Jam: RB

May I ask why it shouldn't be more than a few song pack? Why can't green day have a pack release like AC/DC? They have been around a long time and were at the start of a new generation of music. You can't just make this statement without reasoning to back it up? Not to mention a week of DLC from Green Day could take away the release of your favorite band ever from Rock Band. There is no way to know what band you'd miss out on?

With this release, no one loses any DLC. The chances they release a band game of one you (in general sense) absolutely like is slim anyways.

Quote:
Haha, inadvertant wall of text. TL;DR (and I don't blame you): GD doesn't have the variety the Beatles did, and while this is not a bad thing, it prevents me, a person who needs constant change for things to remains interesting, from buying this game, which appears to be the same chords and patterns for 40 songs (though I might be biased and ignorant against GD).

Two quick things. I don't play guitar, so this is on drums basically but the 3 pack of GD released, all 3 songs very completely different on drums, not similar at all. Granted they weren't amazing songs, but they weren't like each other at all. I am not familiar with a ton of GD, but if those songs are any kind of sample, I fail to see this point.

Also, I would love for a game to finally not be guitar centered. Guitarists can complain ALL they want (if this happens), but for the most part TBRB was extremely repetitive on drums minus a few songs and ACDC was OMG horribly repetitive on drums. I would LOVE for them to finally go to something that evens the score and is better on drums and kind of not on guitar. Sorry if thats mean of me, but its about time.

I play my game online

Last edited by internetguy87 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:17 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
xtreme2252  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:

May I ask why it shouldn't be more than a few song pack? Why can't green day have a pack release like AC/DC? They have been around a long time and were at the start of a new generation of music. You can't just make this statement without reasoning to back it up? Not to mention a week of DLC from Green Day could take away the release of your favorite band ever from Rock Band. There is no way to know what band you'd miss out on?

With this release, no one loses any DLC. The chances they release a band game of one you (in general sense) absolutely like is slim anyways.

I meant that it should be like a number of packs, kinda like pearl jam and foo fighters. both those bands have enough songs to make a game
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtreme2252 wrote:
internetguy87 wrote:

I meant that it should be like a number of packs, kinda like pearl jam and foo fighters. both those bands have enough songs to make a game

You still didn't answer my question. I realize what YOU want, GD to be a pack. What is the REASON that is HAS to be a pack and can't be it's own game? ACDC got it's own game. TBRB got its own game. Now give me a reason GD just can't possible follow and has to be DLC like you state.

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
machchunk  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtreme2252 wrote:

So far the Pearl Jam releases have been 2 albums and a timed-exclusive 3-pack. The Foo Fighters releases have been an album and 4 3-packs. It's obvious with Green Day we're getting a good chunk of tracks from 5 albums each, and we're probably not getting a full album. If you're not one of the people who complain about the Foo Fighters packs, then to each his own. But if you are, then no. For the sake of all of us, we definitely need a disc for this shit.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
xtreme2252 wrote:

So far the Pearl Jam releases have been 2 albums and a timed-exclusive 3-pack. The Foo Fighters releases have been an album and 4 3-packs. It's obvious with Green Day we're getting a good chunk of tracks from 5 albums each, and we're probably not getting a full album. If you're not one of the people who complain about the Foo Fighters packs, then to each his own. But if you are, then no. For the sake of all of us, we definitely need a disc for this shit.

You make a great point. By getting a disc we get the best of all albums and get to avoid all the filler crap. Isin't that a great thing?

I play my game online
blackout4  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an ok idea, but i dont understand why they released the green day dlc now when they could have when the game came out

and green day is a ok band, but not even influential. we should have some better band, like nirvana or something.
oobitydoo  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

So long as the regular flow of DLC continues and RBN stays on track, they can release all the exportable track packs they like and I wouldn't care.

Not to derail the thread, but has there been any news lately about RBN (and star ranking/Ion velocity sensitivity) patching for PS3? It's been a while since 360 got that one, and Lego RB has the stars/velocity bit in it, so we know they have the code working, so what's going on?

On topic: do we know if the content from this will be released separately in the music store, or will it be like AC/DC where to get any of the songs, you have to get the whole thing?

yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, I love this idea that having dlc from one band makes another band not come out. You act like Harmonix comes at it each week with two names and whichever one isn't picked is stuffed in a vault and anyone who mentions it again is executed for their insolence.

Turns out we were supposed to get Led Zeppelin the first week of dlc but Harmonix opted for Cherry Bomb instead.
OCEAT  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:

Two quick things. I don't play guitar, so this is on drums basically but the 3 pack of GD released, all 3 songs very completely different on drums, not similar at all. Granted they weren't amazing songs, but they weren't like each other at all. I am not familiar with a ton of GD, but if those songs are any kind of sample, I fail to see this point.

Oh, were they? I never saw the charts. Chalk that up to ignorance. It's tough for me, as a Wii owner, to talk about this with PS3/360 people, since I'm constantly changing discs and deleting and adding songs from my precious 2 gigs of storage, and you can just export.
Well, that makes the guy I quoted's point more valid, though I can't see much variety in bass; not every song can be I Saw Her Standing There.
And yes, a game not centered around guitar would be great, but wouldn't a game centered around EVERYTHING be even better? That's what's available with (You guessed it!) The Who and Rush.

plutoknight  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought upon hear this:
OMG ITS GOING TO BECOME GUITAR HERO ALL OVER AGAIN!?!

My thought after seeing the trailer and reading about exportability?

Alright!...if the price is right.

Green Day is a good band, yes. Do I think they deserve their own game? Well..if you had to pick one band that is sitll 100% relevant nowadays, I'd pick Aerosmith. But since that's been done..looks like Green Day is a 2nd best choice?

This game isn't targeted at the same audience as the Beatles game....not fair to compare the two I think. But it looks interesting enough to stay on my radar..

Yes, and those words are "Glurmph wrakckin OWWW yragwragy RAARWR"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 20 of 33

Jump to: