FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
No Part: thoughts?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: No Part: thoughts? Reply with quote

This is what happens in band when you try to play The End from Backspacer. Now, the impact of that image may be lost to some. (Especially those of you who know your GH DLC)

What that is is a No Part on drums (Something that until today was a vocal-only experience for RB fans). I've heard various things about RB only being able to support a No Part on vocals, or that HMX wouldn't use songs with No Part for the three non-vocal instruments. These ideas are clearly wrong, although that's no fault of anyone who believed these things.

However, I can't complain about this new thing that HMX is doing with their "music game platform". It will open quite a few options for DLC, explains how the White Stripes will be possible, and adds what could be called "fairness" to what was previously a system slightly skewed "against" a vocalist.

Now I know this could easily spiral into wishlisting, but I'd really prefer that that not happen. (I hesitated a while on posting this as a result, and if the mods want to deal with it, that's fine) What I'm really posting this for is a discussion of what this means for the "platform". I'm not against using a song like The End or Maggot Brain as examples of what's now possible, but please don't just post a wall of songs with one part missing with no real purpose.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: INV4DER
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This totally means that Never Gonna Give You Up is coming now. >_>

Seriously, though:
I think it's interesting that we have finally seen a "No Part" in RBDLC outside of vocals. I distinctly remember reading that HMX had guaranteed guitar, drums, and bass as being mandatory aspects of gameplay, but either that was wrong, or HMX went back on it.

I'm all for the inclusion of such songs on an occasional basis, but I have to say I vastly prefer a song that I can play with everyone rather than a song where someone will have to do something else for a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
I think it's interesting that we have finally seen a "No Part" in RBDLC outside of vocals. I distinctly remember reading that HMX had guaranteed guitar, drums, and bass as being mandatory aspects of gameplay, but either that was wrong, or HMX went back on it.

I'm all for the inclusion of such songs on an occasional basis, but I have to say I vastly prefer a song that I can play with everyone rather than a song where someone will have to do something else for a few minutes.

Well, of course they'll be a rare thing, since even instrumentals are pretty rare currently, compared the 800 or so songs in RB. (We're at what now, 7? 8?)

It's a good idea to have the option, but this is a band game and having a relatively large fraction not include parts of the band at all is a bad idea.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: INV4DER
Stormrider2112  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's part of a full album, I say fair game. But, for songs released as singles/random packs, no way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think this means a whole lot for the platform. Of course we'll get a song or two that have some blank parts, but the DLC choices in the past have been pretty solid. Assuming that we get more Caprici di Diablo and Rude Mood and less Master/Slave and The End, the 3-part songs could actually be really cool.

You specifically said you don't want this to be a wishlist thread, so I won't name any names, but there are some awesome songs revolving around the drums. Having no limitations on what songs can be picked for Rock Band can actually be a really positive thing...

...if Harmonix plays their cards right.

[Customs] - Click here if you like awesomeness

Goal: FC 75% of ALL on-disc Guitar Hero songs (Band Hero doesn't count) - (430 / 575)
Current: 368 / 575 - (64%)
beingmused  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage probably thinks this screws over vocalists somehow
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: beingmused
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormrider2112 wrote:
If it's part of a full album, I say fair game. But, for songs released as singles/random packs, no way.

Caprici is as of right now the only non-album song with a No Part. (Unless I forgot one >__>) That said, Malmsteen isn't known as a master lyricist.
diablocon  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against it in moderation, with album releases being the obvious exception (so far only one No Part song hasn't been part of an album).

It does certainly help open up genres that may have been off limits before, since not everyone uses the usual four-man setup.

I think the question though is will they use No Part on guitar?

With vocals it's kind of hard to avoid the fact that a song might not have any, and should a song have no percussion, then drums are pretty screwed too (Saucy Jack has no drums, but a lot of other instruments to drum along too for example). Bass can take the guitar route and chart other instruments (tuba in Saucy Jack, lower sounding guitar in Maps, but the White Stripes are obviously going to be troublesome).

But we've already had songs with no guitar, and instead of getting No Part we get some of the most insane charting ever (I'm looking at you Clint Eastwood). Is there anything that HMX won't chart to guitar should the opportunity present itself? It does seem HMX will go out of their way to avoid a No Part at all costs, even if it means some pathetic charts in the process (Polly says hi).
vkw619  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beingmused wrote:
Icemage probably thinks this screws over vocalists somehow

Thats mean but i gotta admit I lol'd...lol

But still I think this helps broaden out the game where we can have a lot of different types of music even if it doesn't fit the RB criteria.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: vkw619
Sully  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only play Guitar and I couldn't be bothered in the least if there were songs every week that had no guitar part. I don't see why this makes people mad.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
I only play Guitar and I couldn't be bothered in the least if there were songs every week that had no guitar part. I don't see why this makes people mad.

I'm pretty sure it's the idea of "exclusion" of a band member. That said, if it gets us new and interesting songs that are fun the instruments that do have parts, it's not a bad concept at all.

However, the idea of having a large portion of songs excluding a single instrument would be a bad idea.
diablocon  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
I don't see why this makes people mad.

If I remember correctly back to when Moving Pictures was released, it's not so much the songs themselves so much as the fact that in band play that instrument has to leave entirely in order to play the song that got some people's knickers in a twist.

The only thing that annoys me about No Part songs is that we get incomplete album challenges (Moving Pictures album challenge doesn't have YYZ in its lineup regardless if you're on vocals or not), but even that's a very minor complaint.

I'm sort of hoping for the No Parts pack, which has four songs, each missing one instrument. Would make me laugh.
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Sully wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's the idea of "exclusion" of a band member. That said, if it gets us new and interesting songs that are fun the instruments that do have parts, it's not a bad concept at all.

However, the idea of having a large portion of songs excluding a single instrument would be a bad idea.

I can't imagine HMX would suddenly release dozens of songs with no part. I think the main idea is if HMX finds a cool album, a single song shouldn't impact whether they release it.

This is the precedent that has now been set, and it's nice that they will do this, since if you buy a full album you essentially get some free songs, so the price is really reduced, and you don't "pay" for it.

Releasing 3 packs with a no part is going to still be more risky, and probably should be avoided at all costs. I think the majority of artists HMX would ever release have 3 songs with instruments on all parts, or at least SOMETHING that can be charted to each instrument (hello Clint Eastwood, Saucy Jack, etc)

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
Abomstar  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind it at all -- it only opens the door for more amazing songs. The only time it's inconvenient is in a multiplayer band scenario, which I never play anyway, but I think they should've implemented it so that the person with no part can just freeform instead of being kicked out. As if it wouldn't be completely rude to choose a song that forces someone to do nothing anyway.
GanonMetroid  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only see this as a way to get more variety of songs into Rock Band. So, now that we see that it's ok for a song not to have drums, that means we could get some Flight of the Conchords.

I can dream, right?

Videos. Guitar Hero accomplishments. Rock Band accomplishments. GH customs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv Ganon PSN Name: PanOfMopsicle ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: