FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UGH. PttS blasts are driving me INSANE.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
googleimage  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the triple blasts in Visions are a lot slower. However, on a per-hand basis, they're faster because they're simultaneous blasts rather than alternating blasts.

For the red-blue blasts, you'll count it as follows:

1-.tri-.plet /2-.tri-.plet/ 3-. tri-.plet

Each "syllable" will fall on a . Your best bets to get a hang of the foot speed are the blue stream in between the PttS blasts, and the expert guitar chart where the blasts occur (it's the snaking all-strum section immediately after the sustains). The notes in the blasts are exactly on those strums.
YaMaNick92  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what ive come up with for ptts. if you treat it like this: (yo r yo r yo r)(yo r yo r yo r)(yo r yo r yo r) etc, or in other words, triplets(which, they are), it might make it a bit easier. but basically, you think of it as basically accenting the first note of the successive triplet pattern(in this case, the yo) and you should basically keep time that way. if it helps, the bolded notes are what you accent every time. also, it needs to be understood that the bass is pretty fast, so that makes the blasts very difficult. being as i still suck at every hittin those blasts(ive started to combo them, yet to pass the song though ) i'm still not sure if its better to play the bass heel up or down. also, the overdrive after the blasts sucks...its annoying to like ever hit for some reason, so stop playing prior if you have to, cause im pretty sure providing you activate after the blue blasts break, i think you can end at the end of the blasts. im done talking
edit: sorry for saying everything everyone pretty much said
novicedrummer  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help guys. i think it would be great if someone could make a sticky on identifying what to count certain patters as and how to count them. i know how to count basic 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 notes but the most obvious question i forgot to ask in the first place was how the hell you can telk by looking at the note lane that those blasts are triplets becuase they dont look like your basic triplet.
YaMaNick92  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novicedrummer wrote:
thanks for the help guys. i think it would be great if someone could make a sticky on identifying what to count certain patters as and how to count them. i know how to count basic 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 notes but the most obvious question i forgot to ask in the first place was how the hell you can telk by looking at the note lane that those blasts are triplets becuase they dont look like your basic triplet.
honestly dude, its all about hearing it. if you were to look up some other between the buried and me songs, youll notice they have a fair amount of triplet blasts.here this might help. you know how fp/lt's intro is triplets? and its basically like g g ro bb ro etc? well think of it this way. the blasts grouped at triplets are (yo r yo r yo r), if it helps you think of it as a triplet, think of it as like yo r r. maybe that can help?
ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, i think everyone is overanalyzing these =/ i'm not saying that any of this info isn't useful, but i just think you don't need it to play this section.

This section is FAST. And for most people, (especially those like me who have no musical or real instrument background) counting those blasts as triplets is just going to slow you down.

I definately have had my best success when i just got to the blasts and said "ok pad spamming time" I think you just gotta forget about everything you know and just play them really really fast, and hope you get the right speed. After a while of trying to find the right speed it will either click or you will be able to tell if you are going too fast, and then you can adjust from there.
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
googleimage  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to bump this because I'm starting to become convinced this shit is broken. Even in practice mode, I can drop it down to 50% speed and still only hit about 50% of the notes. It goes well for a couple seconds, where I can hold a 4X and then it inexplicably just stops registering - this holds true for all speeds (although, strangely, I fare best at 70-80% speed, and can occasionally do well at 90%, and have occasionally pulled a 4X at full speed). I've played around with my calibration, lather-rinse-repeat, and I can't seem to resolve this.

I don't get it, because I combo the Embedded alts with ease. I've passed every other song I own - Visions, Embedded, Guns Of Summer, They're Red Hot, etc. And I can... not... pass... this... freaking... song. The best I've done is halfway through the 3rd set of blasts. It's clearly not impossible, because people have passed it, but I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING on it. So what might be going wrong here?
FinalSunrise  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

novicedrummer wrote:
so are the triplet blasts in visions the same speed? and someone mentioned counting. could someone explain in depth how i would count the red blue blasts as triplets?

they are not the same speed because the tempo or beats per minute is different, PttS is triplets at ??? BPM and Visions are triplets at some other BPM lol idk the actual bpms but since they are different the speed isnt the same, knowing theyre triplets doesnt actually help unless you know how to count and keep beats

EDIT: looking at ProfessorJoes post, it is true that you might have better success by not counting, but if you were to develop this skill, it would definitely make you a better drummer in the long run, because just about EVERY real drummer counts beats and keeps a beat
gladiators16  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

googleimage wrote:
I need to bump this because I'm starting to become convinced this shit is broken. Even in practice mode, I can drop it down to 50% speed and still only hit about 50% of the notes. It goes well for a couple seconds, where I can hold a 4X and then it inexplicably just stops registering - this holds true for all speeds (although, strangely, I fare best at 70-80% speed, and can occasionally do well at 90%, and have occasionally pulled a 4X at full speed). I've played around with my calibration, lather-rinse-repeat, and I can't seem to resolve this.

I don't get it, because I combo the Embedded alts with ease. I've passed every other song I own - Visions, Embedded, Guns Of Summer, They're Red Hot, etc. And I can... not... pass... this... freaking... song. The best I've done is halfway through the 3rd set of blasts. It's clearly not impossible, because people have passed it, but I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING on it. So what might be going wrong here?
They're definitely not broken since me and five other drummers have FCed it lol. I bet you're probably going too fast, make sure your right hand in the blasts is playing the same speed as the blue notes in between blasts, if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

googleimage wrote:

I can't pass it either, but the thing is that it's hard to hear the tempo in this song. Slowing it down really doesn't help. I've held 4Xs on full speed too, sometimes for most of a section. They're definitely not broken, like other people have said. Most of the other songs you've mentioned are bad comparisons. I've passed Visions, Embedded, HSF, They're Red Hot, bunches of Megadeth, too... but of those only Embedded has alt blasts. Note that you can almost certainly do the Embedded alts because I believe the Embedded ones are significantly slower (~11/sec instead of 13/sec if memory serves) AND, more importantly, the tempo doesn't change in Embedded - it's at 172 bpm the entire time so when the alt blasts come up you can keep your foot at the same speed. Have you tried playing only half the bass pedal? I hear that often helps.... Remember that the bass pedal there is actually quite fast, at about 6.5/sec and trying to keep up with your foot can slow you down and fail you out. So I've heard, at least.

I am a guy who plays the drums. I use the drumsticks to play the drums. I also play the ukulele. I don't use my drumsticks for my ukulele. That would be bad.
Drums: 14,700,000 points in RB2, 4,700,000 in TB:RB
Accomplishments
Wii FC 5398 0984 3367
KloK  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest tip I've found is to not slow down. You'll think you're not slowing down, but you are ever so slightly and it's messing you up. What I did is go into practice mode and play them. I try to hit it, but if I mess up I DON'T STOP PLAYING AT ALL. I continue at the same speed because at the end when it finishes I'll finish either slightly before or slightly after it's supposed to finish, telling me whether I'm fast or slow.

Another thing I do is just try to line up every 3rd BO. and I make sure I hit 3 B's and 3 O's every time. The R is just kinda there doing it's thing automatically. This is what really helps you to not slow down.

I couldn't hit this for the longest time thing a couple days ago (after not playing the song for weeks) it magically clicked and I passed 3 times in a row, and the last time I actually combo'd through one of the blasts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

googleimage wrote:
Stuff

It's really all practice, try picking up Where the Light was Born from RBN. You can probably do the slow blasts, but the fast blasts taught me a lot. I couldn't do blasts period before I got this song, I played this song so many times and one run, blasts just clicked for me. It only took me a day from failing PttS almost constantly to being able to FC both verses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to suck horribly at blasts until I got double bass. That seems to help a lot for me. I can hit these blasts pretty well, probably could get 85-90% on the whole section. My advice is pretty much HellAshes advice, focus on syncing the bass with your right hand and just let your left hand fall. I'm a drummer in a metal band and it's not much of a translation from the real kit to a rock band one when it comes to blasts. At least for me. I dunno how it'd be for other people. But anyways I'm drifting off. My point is, it's just rolls with bass every other hit at its simplest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dragon has finally been slain. It only took a thousand tries, but in the end, the "every-third-bass-hit" technique won out. I was able to keep the pad streak going like that, and I actually finished the last set of blasts in the high-yellow. Go figure.

fuse wrote:
It's really all practice, try picking up Where the Light was Born from RBN. You can probably do the slow blasts, but the fast blasts taught me a lot. I couldn't do blasts period before I got this song, I played this song so many times and one run, blasts just clicked for me. It only took me a day from failing PttS almost constantly to being able to FC both verses.

It's not available for PS3 yet. I'm also not sure I want to spend my cash on a song that revolves around those pain-in-the-ass alts but I might take a peek at the chart. Ultimately, I think my issue is physical - I can't hit the bass that fast while my hands are going that fast, AND line them up for very long - especially once I start tiring out; I can do one or the other without much issue though.

Thanks for all the advice guys and gals! This calls for a beer or six.
JL87  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did pretty much what Hells Ashes said. I practiced it, and rather than do OY-R-OY-R etc., I did OY OY OY OY without the reds, and got the speed down. Then I added in red when I got a bit more comfortable with the speed. It's going to be a process, but once you get it, you'll get better at blasts in general. Oh don't try to do it when you have little energy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: GooseNation01
MarsPhoenix  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like it's broken because the engine is really unforgiving when notes end up really close to each other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: