FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Double-bass practice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Double-bass practice Reply with quote

OK, just got my double bass setup.

It's pretty fun although obviously there will be a learning curve.

I was able to 5* When You Were Young forcing myself to alternate feet all the way through. Played through Indestructible and Are You Dead Yet and was able to get 4x a few times in the "obvious" parts, but still 4* runs. I also got 5* on Aqualung, alternating the bass-heavy part at the start and end (which I found to be good practice even though it's slow).

Less successful were Spaceman and Ride the Lightning, both 4* runs with some issues. Ride the Lightning I tried to RL every double-bass hit in the song. I actually hit the super-fast one but I missed quite a few of them.

Anyway all this said, I am wondering what would be good things to practice (or songs to play) to get my technique up to snuff. I have two things to work on:

1) Left leg is not as good as my right leg.
2) Using both legs in coordination.

#1 seems easy enough to work on, just play whatever and use my left leg exclusively. I'm more interested in what would be good practice for #2. One thing I find tricky is playing a steady hi-hat while alternating feet. If I alternate hands and feet at the same time that's a piece of cake but if I try to do R-R-R-R-R with my hands while doing R-L-R-L-R with my legs, at any sort of brisk tempo, that's harder.
Electriczoo  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as you'll probably hate to here this, all I can say is practice, practice, practice, and more practice
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electriczoo wrote:
As much as you'll probably hate to here this, all I can say is practice, practice, practice, and more practice

Yeah, that's a bit of a useless post, since it's pretty clear I intend to practice, practice, practice, based on my having asked about "what would be good things to practice (or songs to play) to get my technique up to snuff".

Anyone got helpful suggestions?
Kelsin  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the Mayhem Pack, take it in practice mode first and play some song using double bass.
I'd say Conquer all is the simplest, it's a constant rythme. When you get to the point where you keep your 4x the whole sections. You can try on other songs, like empire of the gun, and Hammer smashed face.
Then finally, go for Wontak intro, it's really good to practice your legs' independance.

EDIT: This is Exile too, probably before Wontak!
the1and0nly1  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquer All is a great song to practice with. Anything with a basic pattern with your arms along with a lot of bass is good. The Great Satan and the intro to This Calling first come to mind.

(4th riddle now available as of 8/19/09)
Feel free to PM me if you need any help!
SnowLeopard  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer Smashed Face is really great to learn double bass during the parts where the actual drummer uses it. To get coordinated, what I do is try to have my arms be the metranome (sp?) and have my legs try and keep in time with them.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Also if you really want to learn double bass get Guitar Hero Metallica. Its probably cheap now and a pretty fun game. However, once you get decent you might start to hate playing Lar's same patterns over and over again.
Floovenx05  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take the Double bass part of WAHNTHAC because that keeps a steady double bass beat while not having too hard of a workout on the pads.

TopazGrl wrote:
I tried finding out what the name "Flooven" meant but couldn't find it anywhere so I gave up and will call you Jesus for now on.
Auriscope  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floovenx05 wrote:
You could take the Double bass part of WAHNTHAC because that keeps a steady double bass beat while not having too hard of a workout on the pads.

Yes, I second this. He's talking about the chorus, and as long as you don't fuck up on the rolls too often you can get into it and improve your double bass technique. THEN you can tackle fast polyrhythms, and then I guess odd start and stop parts.

So, for specific tasks:

1. Wonthak chorus.
2. This Calling intro and chorus
3. Wonthak double kick part is a GREAT thing to practice, as the double kicks there are some of the fastest and most intricate of any chart.
4. FC Indestructible (Or at least get consistent on the double bass parts; it's irrelevant to the purposes of this thread whether or not there are rolls you can't hit)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add that you really shouldn't get used to useing double bass on parts that don't require it, like when you were young...

I can make you some SWEET split screen videos, PM me

Gamertag: Doodlebro
Midean  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodysseus wrote:
I'd like to add that you really shouldn't get used to useing double bass on parts that don't require it, like when you were young...

I think he said he only used Double Bass to get his feet used to alternating, not because he needed it. It could probably help out with RLR LRL RLR.

Also, it maybe easier at first, for slower double-bass things, to try playing some parts heel-down. I play the Indestructible/Inside the Fire parts totally heel down so I can better control my speed. On stuff like Hammer Smashed, or Conquer All, I definitely go back to heel up.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys.

"I think he said he only used Double Bass to get his feet used to alternating, not because he needed it."

Exactly. I could FC WYWY if I chose to grind it so it's not a song that requires double-bass, it was just a song with steady and slow bass I could use to get my feet wet.

"1. Wonthak chorus.
2. This Calling intro and chorus
3. Wonthak double kick part is a GREAT thing to practice, as the double kicks there are some of the fastest and most intricate of any chart.
4. FC Indestructible (Or at least get consistent on the double bass parts; it's irrelevant to the purposes of this thread whether or not there are rolls you can't hit)"

Been working on This Calling and actually got my score up a bit. Also played Constant Motion and American Woman to work on that alternating bass thing. Almost got gold on AW that way so it's already helping.

I've also been thinking about working on a song like Bad Omen or GM/BF doing the double-bass as RL hits. So much to do...

EDIT: Geez, just had a -2/-3 run on Indestructible! Sweet!

"I hope that makes sense to you. "

It does. I think I'll have to work up from slower speeds in practice mode but it looks like a good place to improve.
Fatsausage  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnowLeopard wrote:

Also if you really want to learn double bass get Guitar Hero Metallica. Its probably cheap now and a pretty fun game. However, once you get decent you might start to hate playing Lar's same patterns over and over again.

Its Lars' Btw...

Just thought i'd clear that up :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: