FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to path for G+B

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iRossi  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: How to path for G+B Reply with quote

I would like to start making some paths for songs on Guitar+Bass.
I can read most notation, but I have never pathed anything on any instrument.
So perhaps some resources on Pathing/Charts would help...
But I have no idea how to even begin creating a path for overlapping OD, so anyone that would like to help me would be greatly appreciated!
swedenman  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to path for G+B Reply with quote

iRossi wrote:
I would like to start making some paths for songs on Guitar+Bass.
I can read most notation, but I have never pathed anything on any instrument.
So perhaps some resources on Pathing/Charts would help...
But I have no idea how to even begin creating a path for overlapping OD, so anyone that would like to help me would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have a detailed method, but some important things to keep in mind:

1. Everything that applies to single instrument paths also applies to multi-instrument paths: you want as many notes under OD as you can get.
2. Obviously, having fewer notes under x4 is a lot better than having more notes under x2. You will find that not every activation should overlap, but it is generally best to have both instruments go at the same time in a not so great place than having them both go separately in a much better place.
3. There are exceptions to both things I've said. Be willing to try things that aren't necessarily obviously the best way to go, because you might be surprised.

Well, that's all I got. Hopefully things other people say can help you more.

My Accomplishments
I can haz thread <3? I'm kinda gud
wolf549, when updating our thread after a session wrote:
Did all we get was Rebel Girl?
Mischlings  

Location: The state of Confusion (aka Michigan (Ann Arbor, if you want to get specific))

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Path stats found here: http://rockband.yajags.com/pathstats/

Charts found here: http://rockband.scorehero.com/images/notecharts/contrib/ajanata/guitarbass/index_expert.html

Also, read this thread. Understand the concepts behind full band pathing, just pay attention to guitar and bass instead of the full band focus on getting activations in the right place for vocals and drums first and foremost (obviously).

One thing that you should definitely do is get a spreadsheet program (Microsoft Excel is the standard; if you don't want to pay, get OpenOffice (Calc is the spreadsheet program)) -- it is immensely helpful. Also, you should know how to make a spreadsheet.

First thing, get the path stats (at the bottom of each path stats page you can find the scores per measure separated by instrument, use those), copy them into a text file, and import into the spreadsheet. Also, get the chart and paste it into the spreadsheet somewhere (I would put it in a different sheet in the same file).

From there, pull up another sheet (in the same file), but only bring over the measure number, OD drain number, and guitar and bass scores per measure (vocals and drums, obviously, aren't needed). Next to those numbers, make a column that has the combined guitar and bass points per measure -- this is what you will path based off of. At this point, either using the path stats at the top of the page that you pulled those scores from or by consulting the chart, mark the measures where you gain OD, how much whammy you can get in measures, and how much OD you should have at a certain point (this gets tedious, and requires quite a few calculations). Remember that 7.3 beats of whammy gives 8 OD beats (based off of the OD drain number), and that you can't have more than 32 beats of OD at any given time.

Once this tedious part is done, look at places where you can possibly activate. This is where things become fuzzy -- just try to get a 4x over the sections with the most points, move activations around, and make sure that you have a way of calculating the score that should result from this path.

This is the method I would use, based highly off of the thread that I linked to earlier. I hope it's some help -- it's 1:42 am here and my brain probably isn't functioning at top capacity, so I might not be fully clear or might have left things out.

My YouTube account

Playing:
Rock Band 2
Pokemon Diamond (Friend Code: 2622 6465 1998)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
A million Super Mario World Rom Hacks
iRossi  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.

Quick confirmation: A unison bonus gives you 16 beats (4 measures) of OD correct?

So that means 1 phrase of OD gives you 8 beats (2 measures), 3 phrases is 24 beats (6 measures), and full OD is 32 beats (8 measures). yes?
LethalFishEater  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRossi wrote:

Quick confirmation: A unison bonus gives you 16 beats (4 measures) of OD correct?

So that means 1 phrase of OD gives you 8 beats (2 measures), 3 phrases is 24 beats (6 measures), and full OD is 32 beats (8 measures). yes?

For the unison bonus question, yes, and yes, 8 beats per 1/4 bar of OD (1/2 = 16 beats, 3/4 = 24 beats, Full OD = 32 beats). Listing the time in meaures may not work because of different time signatures (such as 5/8, 6/4, 3/8, 6/8, and the infamous 29/8 time from March of the Pigs).
>tfw you will never have as many posts as bjw ;_;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FoshOtter
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LethalFishEater wrote:
iRossi wrote:

For the unison bonus question, yes, and yes, 8 beats per 1/4 bar of OD (1/2 = 16 beats, 3/4 = 24 beats, Full OD = 32 beats). Listing the time in meaures may not work because of different time signatures (such as 5/8, 6/4, 3/8, 6/8, and the infamous 29/8 time from March of the Pigs).

Of course, the definition of "beats" your using is wrong. The second column of the "pathstats" data is the number of OD beats in each measure, and this may vary by song, by time signature, or change because of tempo changes in the song, and it corresponds to the number of small red vertical lines above each line of ajanata's charts. Those beats determine how OD drains, where actual quarter notes determine how fast you can get OD by whammying.
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawigi wrote:
LethalFishEater wrote:
iRossi wrote:

Of course, the definition of "beats" your using is wrong. The second column of the "pathstats" data is the number of OD beats in each measure, and this may vary by song, by time signature, or change because of tempo changes in the song, and it corresponds to the number of small red vertical lines above each line of ajanata's charts. Those beats determine how OD drains, where actual quarter notes determine how fast you can get OD by whammying.

Black Hole Sun is a good example of this. Most of the song is in 4/4 time but OD drains 1/4 bar per measure, then when it switches to 6/4 time it drains 12 beats per measure. There are examples where it drains slower than the time too sometimes but I am too lazy to find one.

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:
Kawigi wrote:
LethalFishEater wrote:
iRossi wrote:

Black Hole Sun is a good example of this. Most of the song is in 4/4 time but OD drains 1/4 bar per measure, then when it switches to 6/4 time it drains 12 beats per measure. There are examples where it drains slower than the time too sometimes but I am too lazy to find one.

Give It All, Bodhisattva, Ballroom Blitz, Day Late Dollar Short, the fast parts of Aqualung, the fast parts of GGHT - all those come to mind :-) OD draining at half speed often makes good pathing more important :-)
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
beingmused  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there's my favourite, the songs that have one OD Beat per measure. The only ones I've found that do this for more than just isolated measures are Dirty Pool and What A Horrible Night To Have a Curse (a full bar gets you 32 measures - whee!)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: beingmused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: