FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Weird Mutant Serial Port / XBox Strat...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathan  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Weird Mutant Serial Port / XBox Strat... Reply with quote

So I bought Rock Band for 360 the day it was released. I've since, of course, been plauged with several common early-adopter problems. The red pad roll problem and the snapping bass pedal problem (which I showed my solution to in a previous thread). I had heard nasty things about the guitar controllers, so I stayed away from mine and only used my two GH3 controllers, which I like a lot (In fact, one of them is a Gamestop in-store model that's got the GH3 logo on it and was signed by Joe Perry of Aerosmith. I won it for getting second place in the New York City Gamestop GH3 tournament and he signed it there). The in-store model's green fret button is starting to crap out, so I decided earlier to finally switch to the Rock Band guitar. You know, pick it up and plug in it's USB port to the console. But, erm... problem: Does this look like a USB port to you?:

I think not. Looks like a PC serial port to me, right? But the thing is, it's not like they accidentally gave me a PC model or anything. It's got an XBox 360 dashboard button and D-pad on the body, so it's obviously meant for XBox. But.... the 360 has no serial port. Did I overlook some sort of adapter of some sort? Or... Did something odd happen, did the folks at Activision make some sort of weird XBox/Serial Port hybrid??

Shed some light on this for me if possible. Am I stupid or is this a genuine freak? And if so, is there a way to get it to work, anyway?[/url]
drifter1717  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember how the old Xbox controllers had those breakaway plugs? There should be one with a USB port on the other end in the box next to the guitar.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Drifter1717
i5hawn  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all wired xbox 360 controllers come with breakaway cables.
thespike  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the breakaway USB adapter thing.

Those things are so pointless, I always lose them.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ignthespike1
TB666  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the...
Is that standard or just an error ??
Since the x-plorer had the same thing but came with the adapter.

Bathory and Summoning rules.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TB688
JoshNeff  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is how all of them are, except you're missing a 6" cable that plugs into there, and has a standard USB piece on the other end... nothing is wrong, there is just a missing piece. I tried a take a picture of mine but I'm out of town and don't have a way to hook the camera to my laptop >.<

Its like ========____O O_====={]
(the part you have) (the part you need)

it makes =======____))_===={]

its all like voltron
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Ant 612
Gip007  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Mutant Serial Port / XBox Strat... Reply with quote

Nathan wrote:
So I bought Rock Band for 360 the day it was released. I've since, of course, been plauged with several common early-adopter problems. The red pad roll problem and the snapping bass pedal problem (which I showed my solution to in a previous thread). I had heard nasty things about the guitar controllers, so I stayed away from mine and only used my two GH3 controllers, which I like a lot (In fact, one of them is a Gamestop in-store model that's got the GH3 logo on it and was signed by Joe Perry of Aerosmith. I won it for getting second place in the New York City Gamestop GH3 tournament and he signed it there). The in-store model's green fret button is starting to crap out, so I decided earlier to finally switch to the Rock Band guitar. You know, pick it up and plug in it's USB port to the console. But, erm... problem: Does this look like a USB port to you?:

I think not. Looks like a PC serial port to me, right? But the thing is, it's not like they accidentally gave me a PC model or anything. It's got an XBox 360 dashboard button and D-pad on the body, so it's obviously meant for XBox. But.... the 360 has no serial port. Did I overlook some sort of adapter of some sort? Or... Did something odd happen, did the folks at Activision make some sort of weird XBox/Serial Port hybrid??

Shed some light on this for me if possible. Am I stupid or is this a genuine freak? And if so, is there a way to get it to work, anyway?[/url]

Since you obviously need the breakaway cable, I suggest going to Game Stop, eb Games, or Game Crazy to get an extended breakaway adapter so you're not standing 2 ft. from the TV.
Nathan  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dudes, I figured it was something quirky like that. I never owned an original xbox (I actually hate microsoft, I bought a 360 cause it was the only next-gen system that had both GH3 and Rock Band w/ DLC and good online play), so I only recently learned about the breakaway plugs. I'll check the box once I get back to New York (in Kentucky with grandparents for xmas), and if they didn't come with the game I'll pick one up.
TB666  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it should come with the package IMO.
As stated, the X-plorer had the same thing and it came with the adapter(hell it was already attached to the cable).

Bathory and Summoning rules.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TB688
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: