FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Above "Optimal" Index: 7/31/10: 7 New Songs! All Finished!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the1and0nly1  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sokushi wrote:
I just want to say thanks for this thread! This is the type of stuff that I love to read about on SH, plus I'm sure this is a lot of hard work for you. I'll try some of these DSO paths tomorrow. I thought the Attack path was really easy so I'm curious to see how much harder these other paths will be.

I'm glad you're liking this thread

It's a ton of work actually, but I don't really mind. This is the first summer I don't have a job so I have nothing else to keep me busy.

Good luck with the songs! To give you an idea of the difficulty of them, I got the Attack one on my 2nd try. I tried at least 8-10 times each for Epic and Hitch A Ride and I could not get either one (some of my closest tries I felt like I should've got, though). According to the timing window, Epic is the toughest one, so I'm not surprised.

(4th riddle now available as of 8/19/09)
Feel free to PM me if you need any help!
BeeEmDubya  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand your explanation of DSO paths at all. Can you explain what exactly they are and how they work? How can they get you more than a couple hundred points?

the1and0nly1  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeEmDubya wrote:
I don't understand your explanation of DSO paths at all. Can you explain what exactly they are and how they work? How can they get you more than a couple hundred points?

Let's use Attack as an example:
[url]
http://rockband.scorehero.com/images/notecharts/contrib/ajanata/drums/attack_drums_expert_blank.png[/url]

You have two OD phrases in measures 30-31 and 34-35. You need to activate at measure 38... but DON'T get the phrase that starts at measure 41.

It reminds me of a double squeeze.... but reverse. So I call it a double squeeze-out.

Notice how the path changed from 1,0,2 to 0,0,0,2 because of this. It gives you a decent amount of extra points.

sokushi  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got optimal scores on That's What You Get and Nine in the Afternoon. I can confirm that the paths are also correct for Almost Easy, Give It All, and Uncontrollable Urge, but I'm having problems with the Alex Chilton path. Three times in a row I broke combo on the third activation, so there might be something wrong with that path. I could just be coincidentally hitting the frontend late though. I'm unsure about the Spoonman path too; I finished 1500 below optimal. I'm assuming this is all in backends so a better squeezer is needed to confirm this path.

The DSO paths... yeah, those are tough, maybe impossible. Attack is the only one I could pull off. I think I would of got Hitch a Ride if I just hit a fraction of a second later on the squeeze out. I'll keep trying Hitch a Ride, but the others are way too difficult for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sokushi wrote:
I'm having problems with the Alex Chilton path. Three times in a row I broke combo on the third activation, so there might be something wrong with that path. I could just be coincidentally hitting the frontend late though.

EDIT: Sorry about that! I forgot to enter "(Late Hit)" for the 1st activation. Hope it didn't cause you too much frustration. Hit the first one really late. You should have a fill not appear and the rest of the path should work fine. Sorry again.

sokushi wrote:
I'm unsure about the Spoonman path too; I finished 1500 below optimal. I'm assuming this is all in backends so a better squeezer is needed to confirm this path.

This one is my fault. You actually got optimal. Good job! And sorry about that.

Hope there aren't any more mistakes

sokushi wrote:
The DSO paths... yeah, those are tough, maybe impossible. Attack is the only one I could pull off. I think I would of got Hitch a Ride if I just hit a fraction of a second later on the squeeze out. I'll keep trying Hitch a Ride, but the others are way too difficult for me.

Yeah... I knew they'd be very difficult. I'm still leaning towards them being possible though (maybe not Epic). If I see more people trying them unsuccessfully, I'll probably take them off the list.

sokushi  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem on Alex Chilton. I didn't get optimal on Spoonman, I was 2500 below the score you had for optimal instead of 1500 like I said. I also think the DSO paths are still possible and I'll keep trying them out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok... well, about Spoonman, I'm pretty sure the path I have up now is correct (especially after double checking it earlier). So, you should be able to get 1000 more points?

Btw... thanks for letting me know what's been working and what hasn't. It's been really helpful

ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok 2 things real quick

1) how does audio calibration affect fills? Video calibration makes sense but not audio. Plus, isn't it hard as hell to play a song with 300ms video lag?

2) wouldn't changing your calibration to not get a fill to show be illegal?
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
the1and0nly1  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProffessorJoe wrote:
ok 2 things real quick

1) how does audio calibration affect fills? Video calibration makes sense but not audio. Plus, isn't it hard as hell to play a song with 300ms video lag?

I'm actually not sure exactly how it works (that might be a question for eXcelon969 since he's the one who gave me this method). Here's my theory though: OD fills are placed over drum fills in the real song. If the audio for that drum fill in the actual song is 300ms behind what you're seeing/playing, the fills will show up that much later.

And yeah, it'll probably be very tough to play a song with that much audio lag. In my thread I make the suggestion to play with your sound off. The video lag isn't affected so there shouldn't be a problem playing.

ProffessorJoe wrote:
2) wouldn't changing your calibration to not get a fill to show be illegal?

Not at all. Calibration is in the game to help people with TVs that are off-sync. If someone has their TV set to 300ms by default, don't they already have the advantage with this method? Setting your own audio lag to whatever you want is your own choice. It is in no way cheating.

ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still fairly confident its video lag, not audio. Of course i can't say for sure as i don't know, but i thought that all drum fills were dependent on scroll speed. thats why on hard fills don't show until 1.6 seconds audio would not change on hard, only scroll speed. If you mess with your video calibration, the game thinks you are hitting the note much later on the fret board than you are, which is what it uses to start its calculation since the fill covers a set section in the note chart. The reason why i thought it was cheating is because you are abusing the game mechanics to your advantage, similar to score duel scores. But thats scorehero's decision to make, not mine. :-)
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
the1and0nly1  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProffessorJoe wrote:
i'm still fairly confident its video lag, not audio. Of course i can't say for sure as i don't know, but i thought that all drum fills were dependent on scroll speed. thats why on hard fills don't show until 1.6 seconds audio would not change on hard, only scroll speed. If you mess with your video calibration, the game thinks you are hitting the note much later on the fret board than you are, which is what it uses to start its calculation since the fill covers a set section in the note chart. The reason why i thought it was cheating is because you are abusing the game mechanics to your advantage, similar to score duel scores. But thats scorehero's decision to make, not mine. :-)

I really don't know why audio lag works, I just know it does. I've had at least two people now confirm a good number of these new paths by changing their audio lag.

THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that these calibration paths are not legal. I believe it has been stated that changing your calibration in order to hit squeezes is not allowed, and I figure the same would apply for drum fills.
sokushi  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THABEAST721 wrote:
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that these calibration paths are not legal. I believe it has been stated that changing your calibration in order to hit squeezes is not allowed, and I figure the same would apply for drum fills.

What about people that have to naturally play with high calibration settings? I don't think it's fair that they get access to paths that no one else can use. The fairest solution is to let everyone use them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, but until I find out for sure if the calibrated paths are legal or not (even though I'm pretty sure they should be) I'm not gonna be putting up any more paths. It's just too time-consuming to be doing if, in the end, they just have to be taken down.

Any other types of paths will still be added though.

THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to use these calibration paths until I hear an official ruling on them. Now that I have tried them out for myself, the Alex Chilton path needs to be changed. The 4th activation should be 0 - YO (hit late) because I played through it, and I managed to cause that fill to not show up as well. It gives 1900 above current 1st place score, and optimal is 183,975.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: