FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Am I an awful singer or is Reptilia the gayest song ever?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tRiViUm256  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Am I an awful singer or is Reptilia the gayest song ever? Reply with quote

I have been stuck on this stupid song on medium for almost a week now. No matter WHAT pitch I sing at, it's never right. Any tips? It may just be that I suck.
TheRidGE  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It truly is a very hard song. It is very chromatic (meaning, it doesn't follow the usual scales; it's all over the place), and I even just 5*'d it on expert today. Even still, I call it the bane of my existence.

Honestly, it's one of those songs that you have to listen to over and over again just so you can get all the weird pitch changes. And the best of luck to you.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: the oRidGEinal Wii Friend Code: 4504280527441862
J-Nasty  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its because I listen to The Strokes on a fairly regular basis, and thus sing along to them. But I found this song to be easier than most of the other songs in the game. I can 5* on Hard no prob and 4* on Expert, but I have a hell of a time with "I think I'm paranoid" on Hard, and "I'm So Sick" on Medium. can barely 3* those 2 songs.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: jtlover08 PSN Name: doucher1788
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRidGE wrote:
It truly is a very hard song. It is very chromatic (meaning, it doesn't follow the usual scales; it's all over the place), and I even just 5*'d it on expert today. Even still, I call it the bane of my existence.

Honestly, it's one of those songs that you have to listen to over and over again just so you can get all the weird pitch changes. And the best of luck to you.

Yeah definitely. I even had a good idea of what to sing and it still took me like 10 tries to 5* it.

Don't be afraid to change octaves several times within the song. I had to do that myself because the song itself is all over the place. Doesn't sound all that good but you'll get points.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation, I five starred every song but Gimme Shelter before I five starred this on Expert. In my book, that makes this one the 2nd hardest out of 58 for me. I Get By and Foreplay/Longtime have a tougher section, but overall this is my 2nd toughest song.
Billtvshow  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I looked, I still have the high score on this one on XBL, which I just got last night. I don't know if there's a magic tip I can give you. My advice is to really listen to the original and understand that the notes are not traditionally dead in tune in with the key of the background music. They may sound a bit discordant, but you need to learn them like that and once you get used to the melody, it really does come easier. I failed it the first time on expert as I had never heard it before, so believe me, it can be learned. I guess more than anything, listen to the original a ton to the point that you absolutely know it and when you play it on the game, look for the small differences that Harmonix throws in there to trip you up and make the adjustments. The same can be said for just about any song. Most songs are pretty faithful to the original for vocals, but I noticed yesterday that in the Buddy Holly vocals, they threw in a spoken part where it is clearly being sung, though it does work as spoken. The same happens in many other songs where they switch briefly to the harmony part rather than the lead and that can be brutally hard if you aren't ready for it.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Billtvshow
ocelot11  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually on of my better songs, but I seem to go against the grain on a lot of things when it comes to vocals. Then again, it's all different for everyone. People are stronger than others at some points, but weaker at different points.

How do you tell the sexual orientation of a song anyhow?
MinPinz  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not you, it's the song. This is the only song I failed on Hard (I finally got a 3*, just barely), and the only one I can't 5* on Medium. As others have suggested, listen to it often. Sing it when you are playing the song on guitar or drums, just to get used to it. Also, you may want to go down a difficulty level and practice until you get comfortable with it...and with shifting between octaves smoothly. That was my big problem when I started vocals, when I tried to shift an octave up or down in the middle of a song, I would miss part of a phrase. Unfortunately, practice really is the only way to smooth that out.
Mr.BannanasII  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not you, its the song. I can't beat it on expert yet..... but on hard. But as for hard, it had some weird pitches, and I had to try some different things.....
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed on Reptilia more than anything else on Expert(I think 2 fails on Should I Stay Or Should I Go, 1 on Long Time, and 5 on Reptilia). Just today I got to 5*, but it is a very tough song to figure out so don't feel bad. I don't think it's as bad as I Get By with its horrendous never-ending tone-deaf section at the end of the 2nd verse, but it's rough.

The pre-choruses seem to be the worst as the singer is drifting in and out of notes. The advice above is good...listen to it, practice and you'll get better at it. Try keeping your pitch changes small too. It helps me a lot in this song during the quiet verses. "Tell me a story, I know you're not boring..."

I agree that this is one of the hardest of the 58. My top 3 are I Get By, Long Time and Reptilia.
IPlayGuitarHero2  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the gayest song ever :] i stopped singing it as soon as it got to the part when he started to sing...it is a REALLY bad pitch
Proud owner of the Log as of 11\24\07 7:34 P.M.
LOL Pro at 9:20PM Jul. 5th 2007 :P
LOL Guitar Hero at 12:03PM Jul. 26th, 2007 :p
LOL Guitar Legend at 7:05PM Oct. 11, 2007 :p
12/27/07 1:23am
Prodigy Kid!
Feeling down? It's okay... Just click the Link: Feel Better Now?
Blinded in Chains Chart!@!@
batsmak  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this song, knew it by heart when I got RB, and 5*ed it on hard first try (haven't tried expert yet), when it is surrounded by tons of 3*s and 4*s, so It is all about knowing the pitch of the song already.

I'm sure you can get it if you listen the vocals a few times.
Dumbyguitar  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try vocals today.

I don't think I should have any problem. I might though, the pitch is wierd.

Can't wait to sing Tom Sawyer

Search and Destroy FTL
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm pretty sure the song doesn't have a sexual preference, it is pretty difficult, yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep im stuck on this in my expert career now.... wtf!!!!
beat hard drums [] stuck on vasoline.. lol i suck
beat expert vocals [] halfway
get top 5 on 10 bass songs [] 3/10 (learn to fly, roxanne, orange crush)
Beat endless setlist with 2 friends on hard []
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: