FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
People More Involved w/ Music Tend to Better at Drums?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amadedus  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't play a real instrument, but I've passed every song I've played on RB1/2 X guitar, and I've passed all but a few songs on drums (DFTR/RTTH, the last five on RB2 + Peace Sells).

I've got a reasonable sense of rhythm and I've certainly listened to a lot of music.

As a side note, I work in post-production, including cutting a bunch of music videos (I worked on Float On, for one, so it makes me laugh that it's in RB2). ALL the best editors are musicians, even moreso if they're drummers, since visual story has a pace and a flow to it.

(And all the best directors are editors, but that's another story.)
Blacktooth  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummers are the time keepers for the band. Whatever tempo they play, the rest of the band follows. Previous music experience never hurts, but it isn't a guarantee that you have limb interdepence either.

I disagree it's just about hand/eye coordination. Mute your game when you play and tell me you still get the same scores on songs like Panic Attack or Pain Killer. It's a combination of skills, and your ears play an important role.
Kaelaen  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacktooth wrote:
Drummers are the time keepers for the band. Whatever tempo they play, the rest of the band follows. Previous music experience never hurts, but it isn't a guarantee that you have limb interdepence either.

I disagree it's just about hand/eye coordination. Mute your game when you play and tell me you still get the same scores on songs like Panic Attack or Pain Killer. It's a combination of skills, and your ears play an important role.

I always do poorly on Ace of Spades, why? Because the singer irritates the hell out of me. His voice is like nails on blackboard, it's just frickin' terrible. It's why I always do poorly on that song in full band, I don't put the sound on mute because for some reason the singer can't have her voice come out on my headset during gameplay. When I'm by myself though I do just fine because my tv is in fact, muted.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemmy's voice is so bad that it's good

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more of a coincidental thing that people who are good at drums have musical experience. As people here before me have stated, you need to have a solid understanding of rhythm, rhythmic patterns and keeping time and tempo. As a student in a music school, I hang out with musicians (both student, amateur and professional) all the time. And the reality is that a lot of them do not have an understanding of those essentials (yes, even professionals). Many of them simply cannot read rhythms correctly. This phenomenon tends to be more prevalent among singers and string players, but instrumentalists do due it too sometimes.

If anything, I would propose that people who did well in math would be better at drums. They would more easily understand beat numbers, division of beats, and pattern memorization. The physical parts of the drums would come later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to point out that I was in fact in the advanced math course during all of high school but I always did so bad during it. Especially during 11th and 12th grade

So that plus my extreme distaste in music just leave a giant question mark in my head at why I even play this game and also why the eff am I as good as I am.

Need hi-res pictures of any of the 4 instrument icons? Your search is over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ThePinkDrummer
azeldin  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a huge advantage for drums, but it certainly does help. Knowing general concepts by heart (like feeling downbeats and the strong-weak-medium-weak emphasis of measures) gives an instinctive understanding, but beyond that, I believe it's more a matter of good coordination and stamina.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having some previous musical exposure can help with a sense of rhythm, but you could get that sense of rhythm any number of ways. I also think that previous musical exposure might also HURT in some cases. For example, if you are used to playing on the beat the end of Peace Sells is just awful. But if you were to put that song on mute and just play the notes (e.g. pure hand eye coordination) the fact that it's all off-beat might not bother you.
One3Se7eN  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
But if you were to put that song on mute and just play the notes (e.g. pure hand eye coordination) the fact that it's all off-beat might not bother you.

I should try that as a control test.

Need hi-res pictures of any of the 4 instrument icons? Your search is over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ThePinkDrummer
SketchyGalore  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i play guitar and listen to music all the time, and i'm ranked 187th or so (not to brag... XD)

i didn't really have much trouble learning drums.

some people i know are really suckish, and i'm pretty sure they don't listen to music like i do. also, they don't play instruments.

so i agree
Best Yahoo! Answer Ever: You're 13, you're not supposed to be drinking you stupid, drunk, idiotic, whiskey-swigging, buzzing, naive, booze-crazed, asinine, senseless, hare-brained, insane, crazy, senseless, imbecilic, freaky, irrational, preposterous, illogical, incongruous, brainless, thick-headed, wannabe-21 moron.
sedron  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Rock Band drums (or other GH/RB instruments for that matter,) the game can be played two completely different ways. In the first way, the game is really just a game of reflexes. My Dad, who has some musical background, plays this way. He just sees notes on the screen and plays them regardless of whether or not they are off-beat. If the notes are off-sync or the game is uncalibrated, it doesn't affect him.

I play rythmically. In this case, musical background is very helpful. I see notes on screen and play them as patterns and beats. Off-beat notes and patterns can beat me to a pulp since I play this way, but since I'm not just reacting to each note as they come, I have the advantage of hitting most anything that is rythmic (provided I'm fast enough to hit it and my equipment doesn't crap out on me.)

So, a musical background can be helpful, but isn't necessary. It also brings with it some downsides. It depends on how one plays the game. Sorry if I'm repeating a lot of what's already been said here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: