FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The most insanely cheap/ghetto drum pedal fix ever.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bodom0015  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: The most insanely cheap/ghetto drum pedal fix ever. Reply with quote

As many others' medals have done, mine became severly cracked just last night. It started as a small crack on the right side, then one on the left appeared. They slowly started to grow until they nearly met each other in the middle. Now they were about [----] that far apart when I decided to do something about it. I saw the rubber stopper fix thread, but I'm lazy, cheap, and it was 3 AM. I ran downstairs thinking, "What can I possibly use as a stopper?!?!" I just needed something soft the can take pressure without breaking. I looked in the pantry and found my solution:

.... MARSHMALLOWS!!!!!!

Now normally, I'm not the one to do hardware mods, as it usually runs a greater risk (in my own mind) of breaking the thing even more, but in this case, an external mod can just be removed if I need the warranty to bail me out anyways!

Here is what I used:
-Scotch Tape
-Packaging Tape
-a Bag a small-sized Marshmallows (mine were semi-stale, don't know if it matters)

Here is what I did:
1.) Take about 22 small-sized marshmallows.

2.) Place them in 2 groups of 6 (aka the #6 groups) and 1 group of 10 (aka the #10 group). The #6 groups go at the pressure points on either side of the pedal, while the #10 group goes on the front to balance it out. The #10 group also works to quiet the pedal when playing.

3.) Wrap all 3 groups tightly with Scotch tape.

4.) Now comes the tricky part: Taping them all onto the pedal. For me, I just placed the #6 groups directly below the pressure cracks and the #10 group in between the 2 rubber stoppers at the front. Once you find where you want them, Tape in all up with packing tape. Make sure you don't tape the pedal to the base. I used tons and tons of tape and my pedal still works like a beauty, so I don't think the amount matter very much.

5.) Check the pedal's pressure. I stomped a little and stood on mine a few times before I was satisfied. Keep in mind that the rubber stoppers at the front don't have to make contact with the plastic, the magnet inside the front just has to come close enough to make contact with the other magnet and complete the circuit (or at least that's what I've come to understand).

Here are some pictures of the final product:
Top Down View:

Left Side:

Right Side:

From the Front:

Upside-Down View:

I just thought I'd share this quick pedal fix method with you.

P.S. I am not responsible for any broken hardware or injuries that result from attempting this quick fix. Also keep in mind that this is most likely a short term fix and probably won't work as a permanent one. The pedal has worked for me through several expert songs, including Enter Sandman, Learn to Fly, Epic, Are You Gonna Be My Girl, and a few others. I make no guarantees.

P.P.S. I apologize for my terrible pictures. My camera takes the pictures at like 2560x1920 and I had to shrink them A LOT for photobucket to accept them.

Thank you, have fun, and keep rocking.
TB666  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't those things become very hard after a few days ??

Bathory and Summoning rules.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TB688
bodom0015  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB666 wrote:
Won't those things become very hard after a few days ??

They were already pretty stale. Either way, I can just replace them if that happens.
NoPance  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahha...

I would criticize where this mod will likely fail--but I'm content just reveling in its ghetto awesomeness.

Nice job. :P

XBL GT - No Pance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: No Pance
bodom0015  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoPance wrote:
Hahahha...

I would criticize where this mod will likely fail--but I'm content just reveling in its ghetto awesomeness.

Lol thanks. Yeah, like I said, most likely a short-term fix, but hell a bag of marshmallows can last a long long time.
lordryan29  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, ROCK ON! never thought I would find marshmellows in the hardware section....Beer mod red pad fix anyone?
"It presently learns, that, since the dawn of history, there has been a constant accumulation and classifying of facts. But what is classification but the perceiving that these objects are not chaotic, and are not foreign, but have a law which is also a law of the human mind?"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: lordryan29
bodom0015  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoPance wrote:
Hahahha...

Well over a week later and the pedal is still going strong. I finally took it apart and even though they were completely hard, the marshmallows kept it from breaking all the way. I only had to push a little bit harder to get the hits to register.

Anyways, just thought I'd let you know that it worked quite well, but now that I've got a replacement pedal on the way, I don't need it anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: