FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anyone? How to Strum correctly with the Strat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingNuclear  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Anyone? How to Strum correctly with the Strat? Reply with quote

I know this question sounds absurd, but give me the benefit of the doubt.

How do you get used to the strat? without the mundane answer of practice."

With the Les Paul & the Xplorer- I have around 40+ F.C, using alt strumming.

I can't FC one song on the Strat for some reason, and I have a 4th Generation.

Just got #3 In the mail yesterday.

It just seems so lose ( mabye I'm used to the clicking), I try pressing hard, soft, up down, it works fine, but when it comes to 1/32 Combos I'm positive I'm strumming correctly, I never miss on the GH guitars.

Is their a different method used, when using the Strat for strumming?

Few people mentioned breaking it in with use., or inserting a "penny" in the guitar somewhere, I'd like a verification from a expert level F.C. player to verify this.

Thanks,

Nuke
Expert Set list completed 2x
Mr.BannanasII  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use your X-Plorer or Les Paul. That's what I do.
KingNuclear  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was, up until when you play Score Duel expert, both of you F.C. and use perfect overdrive, only to lose by less than 200pts. due to a Big rock Ending, Les Paul VS Strat for ending bonus ; ;
Expert Set list completed 2x
WiseOldUnicorn  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Strat, but the strum bar was the hardest part for me to adjust to. I've found it seems to respond best to a fairly light flicking motion--think of it like you're strumming an actual guitar string, and strum it like that. Alt-strumming is especially hard to get the hang of thanks to the lack of clickiness, but I've found I'm getting a lot better at that with practice. (And on the upside, the clicky frets have made trills a lot easier to hit for me.)

Other than that, I dunno what to tell you. Sorry if that didn't help any, haha.

Rock on, Pufferbutt! \m/ O_o \m/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: WiseOldUnicorn PSN Name: WiseOldUnicorn
Powder  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiseOldUnicorn wrote:
I love my Strat, but the strum bar was the hardest part for me to adjust to. I've found it seems to respond best to a fairly light flicking motion--think of it like you're strumming an actual guitar string, and strum it like that.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Quiet and loose strum bar for the stret as opposed to the tight clicky guitar hero strum bars takes some time getting used to. I also find that the lighter I strum, the better I play. Ultimately I think this totally comes down to personally preference, however.
Jaguar  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best technique so far seems to be to fully strum up and down -- that is, moving the bar all the way down 'till it won't go any farther, and then all the way up.

On a GH guitar, I don't have to do this, because the clicking tells me when it's far enough and then I reverse. But if I don't push it all the way, I'll always end up with a missed note where it doesn't register a strum because it didn't go far enough (usually an up strum).

So the feel of getting the strum bar as far as it can go is my new "clicking".
midgetspy  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to test this theory because I'm in Canada and it's still not out, but what I figured from my 24hr stint of RB is this:

The strummer on the Strat actually sends the strum signal when it is moved only very slightly downwards. What I mean is that from rest, the strum registers in the game when the strummer has only been pushed maybe 30% of the way, and the other 70% of the way until it's as far as it goes does nothing. For normal notes this isn't a problem because you hit the strummer sharply when you want the note to play. Only on fast double-strums does it cause problems. When I double strum in GH I smoothly move the strummer from top to bottom, timing from when it hits the bottom/top (which is about the same as when it clicks). I do the same thing with the Strat, but because the strum happens quite a ways from the bottom/top of the strummer's motion it's constantly strumming early. Without adjusting my timing I think the best way to fix this is to adjust my strum style so I'm kinda slapping it up and down instead of gripping it and just pushing it down/up smoothly. But like I said I haven't been able to try this since I don't have my own RB copy yet... hopefully I'll know for sure by Friday.
Freequebec86  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt play a lot with the strat.

But did someone try to play with a pick?

Maybe it will work great !
kleners  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actualy played better with the strat vs the GH pieces. i do agree it takes a lighter flick to strum more consistently. last night i picked up a pick and my score shot up alot higher. i am having issues with fast notes due to i dont have my down up timing with a pick yet. but it feels a lot better and becuase yoru using a pick to flick the strum like you would a string you wont get in the habit of trying to mave the strum go the full travel when the switch is 20% from center
Freequebec86  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kleners wrote:
I have actualy played better with the strat vs the GH pieces. i do agree it takes a lighter flick to strum more consistently. last night i picked up a pick and my score shot up alot higher. i am having issues with fast notes due to i dont have my down up timing with a pick yet. but it feels a lot better and becuase yoru using a pick to flick the strum like you would a string you wont get in the habit of trying to mave the strum go the full travel when the switch is 20% from center

Nice to know, i will try it when i will get the game !!!

Maybe using a pick will "less break" the strum bar !!! ( im scared of breakin it !!! )
JoshNeff  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the old school strat, and ended up moving the contacts inside and putting rubber bands on the inside of the strum bar, so it pulls to the middle really quick after a strum, and its extremely touchy... that seemed to help quite a bit.

Instead of "hold the strum bar GH style" i tap it with my thumb for downstrum, then tap it with the side/tip of my pointer for upstrum.

Just tapping with your thumb, then thumb/finger for alt strumming works like a charm for me. (I really don't hold the strum bar, my fingers are pretty loose on it)

If I try and jam it all around like a wild man, it never seems to work worth beans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Ant 612
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: