FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What kills me as a noob drummer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metasynthie  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: What kills me as a noob drummer Reply with quote

... is offbeat bass drum. Like someone said in the thread about the Fall Out Boy song on expert, I can do it right at first, alternating with my hands, but I can't keep the damn rhythm even for a long stretch! I'm totally fine with just my hands, or just my feet, or patterns where sometimes the bass goes in unison with the other pads and sometimes is absent. But alternating bass and sticks? I fall apart.

Anyone have suggestions for this other than practice, practice, practice? I even screw up these sections on Hard charts (Reptilia, Wave of Mutilation) and it's embarassing. I can play them at about 80% speed but at 90% I start losing the rhythm halfway through and I just can't get my brain to work right. It's really frustrating. Tips for wrapping my head around it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Metasynthie
Zknet  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What kills me as a noob drummer Reply with quote

metasynthie wrote:
... is offbeat bass drum. Like someone said in the thread about the Fall Out Boy song on expert, I can do it right at first, alternating with my hands, but I can't keep the damn rhythm even for a long stretch! I'm totally fine with just my hands, or just my feet, or patterns where sometimes the bass goes in unison with the other pads and sometimes is absent. But alternating bass and sticks? I fall apart.

Anyone have suggestions for this other than practice, practice, practice? I even screw up these sections on Hard charts (Reptilia, Wave of Mutilation) and it's embarassing. I can play them at about 80% speed but at 90% I start losing the rhythm halfway through and I just can't get my brain to work right. It's really frustrating. Tips for wrapping my head around it?

I've noticed it's a common for problem for a lot of people, myself included. I've almost beat hard, and I still fail Reptilia every now and then if I lose my rhythm.

Only advice I can think of: obviously practice, and counting. Count out the rhythm, in your head or out loud. Or, just vocalize the rhythm with whatever sounds good to you. Play to the beat in your head and not to the notes you see on the screen.
MasterBlaster  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the opposite, if you don't think of how it should sound and just play what comes, not thinking about the sound, it's easier. I'm also kind of a noob, but that works.

Also, if you can learn the beat to one offbeat song, then it'll make the next one easier and so on until you can do it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd like to practice alternating bass and both hands at once, you don't even need the game to do it. At this stage, the game is irrelevant because the problem lies with your brain trying to coordinate more than one thing at once.

When you're sitting around not doing much of anything, play it out on your lap. Tap your knees with both hands, them tap your foot. Start VERY slow. If it's moving too fast for you to read in game and you're getting confused, you need to practice slower to build the coordination.

Like you said that's the obvious answer, but it can't be stressed enough that good drumming is a result of two things. One, muscle memory. Two, separating your mind from your body.

I'm actually a drummer so it's not too bad for me, however I remember certain guitar parts in GH2 I would stop and watch scroll by because I just wasn't coordinated, and this works the same way. Once you learn to stop thinking about it and just "do it", you'll find things click.

Good luck with your practice!
Slowhand  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suck at drums but I'm getting better so this might not be good advice. I have done 78 of 79 hard tunes and I'm 1/2 way through expert and thes no longer scare me.

I normally just tap the kick pedal lightly but when those parts come up..

I lift my foot much hgiher than normal on the RB notes (or RY notes) and then hit the kick much harder and with more motion than normal. So as I'm hitting down with the hands my foot is going up and vice versa. That's how I got around those and I can hit them as good as other parts now.

The Queens of the stone age drummer does this ALOT, the dlc pack is good practice.

Now if you can tell me how to do a really really fast high hat ride I can pass RttH. oh yeah...practice.
Vocal Stylings for Throat Punch
PSN - jaypen123
GH3 and RB community - Slowhand123
Powder  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowhand, for the hi-hat and any other fast rolls, get your arms *very* close (In terms of height) to the pad. Fast rolls are from moving your arms around. They're all in the wrist. For run to the hills you shouldn't need any stick bounce, that should all be possible single stroke. If you aren't already try to strike just from wrist movement. As always, slow it down in practice until it doesn't feel awkward.
hithereyou  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly i had a problem with off beat bass for a bit, then practiced in on cherub rock for a few and since then ive been fine.....my biggest problem is consistent rolls.
Tahmer  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i do for offbeats is lift my foot up on the beat right before it then come down after that beat and then left up on the next beat, and down again right after. works like a charm, but i still can't do it super fast like in Timmy on expert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: