FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UPDATE: No new WMG deals for Rock Band since last August
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NexustEra  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: No new WMG deals for Rock Band since last August Reply with quote

UPDATE:

A new article has just hit billboard.biz today titled "MTV Games, Warner: No 'Rock Band' Boycott Of WMG Artists." Basically, they say that they're just not able to reach any new deals. So while maybe not technically a boycott, there has been no more licensing going on for quite some time.

I have bolded what I thought were the most interesting parts of the article, and I have bolded and italicized the dumbest part of the article where it's obvious they didn't fact-check very well (Paranoid as DLC, lol):

Quote:
MTV Games is not boycotting Warner Music Group artists from the “Rock Band” franchise, despite what an article in the current Wired magazine claims, according to sources from both camps.

Rather, the impasse is best described as a stalemate.
WMG CEO and chairman Edgar Bronfman Jr. said last August during the company’s quarterly earnings call that it would start demanding higher licensing rates from music-based videogames.

According to multiple sources involved, WMG has not struck any new content deals for the “Rock Band” platform since.

MTV requested several new licenses in that time, under the same deal terms as before, but WMG responded with counteroffers that MTV would not agree to. So MTV has stopped requesting new licenses until both parties can resolve the licensing dispute.

“Rock Band” releases new music that can be downloaded to the game every week. Rival “Guitar Hero” does so far more infrequently. Since the beginning of this year, several WMG artists—such as Belly, The Grateful Dead, and The Pretenders, among others—have been added to the weekly download offers. And more are in the pipeline, including the entirety of Jane’s Addiction's “Nothing’s Shocking” sometime in the next month.

But these releases are all a result of licensing deals struck prior to Bronfman’s statements last summer. If no deal is reached soon, “Rock Band” will run out of new WMG content to sell in its weekly updates early this summer. What’s more, even once the stalemate ends it could still take as long as four to five months before new WMG content is reinserted into the weekly pipeline, given the time it takes to program music into the game as well as the need to give priority to deals made earlier.

By all accounts, WMG is ready to wait it out. It recently pulled its content from YouTube over a similar licensing disagreement, and previously removed music from Last.fm and Nokia’s mobile music store.

But it faces a more difficult challenge with videogames like “Rock Band” and “Guitar Hero.” Unlike digital retailers--which really need content from all four majors to offer a compelling product--these games only offer a segment of available music to its users. And both are also able to offer cover versions of songs for which they can’t get master recording rights. Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid,” for instance, is one of the top 10 best-selling songs available on the Rock Band downloadable content platform… as a cover.

Until now, the back-and-forth between the videogame makers and WMG was limited to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick—publisher of “Guitar Hero”—and Bronfman. MTV has been far more diplomatic in its response, but is rather letting its actions—refusing WMG’s new licensing terms—speak louder than its words.

Previously:

I'm taking this from a thread in the official RB forums. I thought it would generate some interesting discussion here considering the other thread discussing the effects of the deal with WMG and YouTube falling through too.

Quote:
So, i just got my march issue of Wired magazine. On the cover there is a caption
"Why the music industry hates Guitar Hero----19"

So you know i turned straight to 19. After reading this article, i was filled with some interesting news, and here it is, for you to all see.

"The money Warner recieves for the use of its songs is 'paltry' [Bronfman] said, and if the game makers dont pony up more cash, 'we will not liscense to those games."

"...Rock Band publisher MTV Games is now boycotting Warner artists, according to a source close to the negotiations."

"...Aerosmith has reportedly earned more from Guitar Hero: Aerosmith than from any single album is the bands history."

So, those are the interisting tidbits. To see a list of the artists we may (or may not) see from this whole fiasco, check this link out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Music_Group_artists

Thanks to ZOMG_A_RANCOR on the RB forums for relaying this info.

How does everyone here feel about MTV Games boycotting Warner? Do you think they're potentially in the wrong and that Warner is only asking for adequate compensation? Or do you think the exposure artists are given from Rock Band could justify nearly any kind of "paltry" profits for the record labels?

Warner is really starting to isolate themselves from revenue streams like Rock Band and YouTube by demanding more money from their partners in each case. I wonder how long they'll hold out before finally caving in. I'm not sure their business model right now is particularly wise.

Last edited by NexustEra on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
DYRE  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, while Warner certainly has a right to ask for more money if they want (it's a capitalist economy, after all, so it's all about whether or not people will pay what they're asking), MTV also has a right to do what they want.
Neither company is doing anything wrong, as this is simply how our economy works. The problem is, however, that this could have a negative effect on the consumers...
Boycotting WMG means no more DLC from those bands... and there's a lot of music that WMG owns the rights to. However, even this presumably won't be too much of a problem. There's still other music available to choose from for DLC.

So, I don't really know how I feel about this, actually.

By the way, if Activision decided they were willing to pay WMG more money, MTV Games would likely be completely screwed by their boycott, since then Guitar Hero would get tons of music that Rock Band would not get. Although... I kind of doubt that's going to happen.
Swivle  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that MTV Games is doing the right thing by boycotting WMG. They'll see other labels making tons of easy extra profit from these games, and realize that their greed isn't going to get them anywhere.

Asenn34  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think that MTV games is doing the right thing here. As you can see artists having the songs on rockband have really increased there popularity. an example

Bang Camaro- After Night Lies was on rock band 2 i heard of people going to there concerts and everything.

Hopefully all will go well in the boycotting process
KJHall  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think MTV is doing the right thing here... There are a lot of good bands in that list we'll be losing... Let's just hope Harmonix acquired a good number of songs from said bands and part of the boycotting process is releasing them all. =D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this apply to Warner Records only, or all their affiliated labels/subsidiaries as well? If the latter, we're talking about a LOT of artists here. If the former, then meh. Let 'em rot. Funny thing.. Warner goes greedy and ends up getting less than they were getting before.

Sucks for us tho.
ThunderPower  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paltry?

PALTRY?!

Adequate compensation is what they were fucking GETTING for their music, they deserve NOTHING MORE. NOT ONE CENT.

Warner should be paying Harmonix to put their music in their games!

Boycott Warner completely. Don't even buy their albums, don't buy concert tickets, don't even buy iTunes or Amazon MP3 - the "full circle deal" means the label gets a cut of everything. Choke them off.

Last edited by ThunderPower on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
espher  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not oppose such a boycott.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
yamo5  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of awesome artists. Damn, Warner Music Group sucks. Aren't these the guys doing all this Youtube banning also?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Shotkillakilla
JaKE740  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamo5 wrote:
That's a lot of awesome artists. Damn, Warner Music Group sucks. Aren't these the guys doing all this Youtube banning also?

Yes, WMG has been responsible for the whole YouTube banning thing lately.

As much as I hate to see some of my favorite bands involved with this, I think Harmonix is definitely doing the right thing with this.
BShea  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Music_Group_artists

Wow.. lots of good ones.

(including AC/DC )

I think maybe thats the problem. Warner probably doesn't understand the difference between Rock Band: AC/DC and GH: Aerosmith. They are probably comparing the money made and calling that "paltry". They don't realize that AC/DC was not meant to be a full game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...is this a good thing or a bad thing
Armisael  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those comparing MTV Games to the brave heroes fighting against an evil empire...

Do we actually KNOW how much MTV pays WMG for their songs? Y'know, it COULD actually be a paltry sum, relatively speaking. I don't think we should take sides until we actually HAVE some figures that we can use.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armisael wrote:
To those comparing MTV Games to the brave heroes fighting against an evil empire...

Do we actually KNOW how much MTV pays WMG for their songs? Y'know, it COULD actually be a paltry sum, relatively speaking. I don't think we should take sides until we actually HAVE some figures that we can use.

Unless they're somehow getting less than they would off of mp3 services, seems pretty fair to me.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, it's not like I would've ever gotten what I want from Warner's list of groups anyway. Stick it to 'em, I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: