FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Best drum sticks to get? (real drums)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangeglacier  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Best drum sticks to get? (real drums) Reply with quote

When I got my drums, I had a bunch of random sticks from my grandfather, so I used those, but most of them have broken now. I was wondering what the best, cheapest kind to replace them was. The ones that were 5B seemed to last a lot longer than the others, so I'm thinking that might be the best size, but I don't know which brand or if that really is the best. I just want durable sticks and as cheap as possible.

GH5 (30/43)(Gamma Ray latest)
RB2 (39/42)(Souls of Black latest)
radoaos  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no single best drum stick. Go to the local music shop. Hold a fwe different kinds, hit some stuff, and see which ones feel good.
Brodysseus  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic 5A's work well as they aren't too heavy and they feel right. 7A's and lighter don't get as much rebound.

I can make you some SWEET split screen videos, PM me

Gamertag: Doodlebro
vipergtsr7588  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a majority of drumsticks out there are very cheap unless your going for like professional marching band sticks or something.

but the term "Best drum sticks" is going to vary from person to person as no two people are exactly alike in style, so therefore the only possible thing i can tell you is go to a music store like Guitar Center and try out some of the different sticks on a practice pad, usually if you are using them for only a minute and aren't pounding on the pad, they aren't going to mind. Do a few paradiddles and some double bounce rolls just so you can get a feel for the drumstick and go with whichever you find the most comfortable.
I personally used a thicker, heavier stick when i first started to drum and now i prefer a medium weighted stick, i forget the number at the moment. But your style may change over time.

also remember sticks are cheap, so if you buy a pair and a month down the road realize you don't like them, you can go get another pair. unlike buying a kit and realizing you don't like it.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: TsH1rTw1tHr1fLe
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for nitpicking, but if it's real drums, this would go in General Chat.

But I use Zildjan 5A's. They're somewhat durable, kind of light, and get some rebound.
adam12343210  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like beefy sticks myself because I play quads on drumline with these:

http://www.innovativepercussion.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?id=192

and

http://www.innovativepercussion.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?id=193

Yeah...they bring the beef. But I can't just grab a pair of Hardimons or Rennicks and just chop it out on a set or. So I just grab some 2A nylon tipped, because I don't like splintering wood on electric drums of any kind.

Check out my band: http://www.youtube.com/user/EverydayGrindMusic
MisterMixelpix  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 7A's. They work okay for me.

orangeglacier  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've pretty much decided which ones I'm getting - does anyone know anything about the EDM brand and whether they're good or not? Also, are nylon tips a good thing to have or not?

beingmused  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangeglacier wrote:
OK, I've pretty much decided which ones I'm getting - does anyone know anything about the EDM brand and whether they're good or not? Also, are nylon tips a good thing to have or not?

Nylon tips are advisable if you're talking about RB drums or a kit with rubber heads.

I'm having fun with my Zildjian 7A nylon anti-vibe sticks. The anti-vibe thing came out of the butt of the stick on one of the 4 I purchased, but a tiny bit of tape on the end of the stick fixed that.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: beingmused
orangeglacier  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do most drum kits have rubber heads? I'm just using these for my real drum kit and I'm not sure what kind of heads it has - they look like standard drum heads.

ThunderPower  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Pro-Mark 420 Mike Portnoy signature sticks. They're slightly smaller than a 5A, and they have nylon tips. Nylon tips are strongly encouraged due to their durability.
FlamethrowerGuy  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangeglacier wrote:
Do most drum kits have rubber heads? I'm just using these for my real drum kit and I'm not sure what kind of heads it has - they look like standard drum heads.

Basically, only electronic kits have rubber heads, unless you're using pad silencers. Nylon tips still work well for acoustic sets though.

Seriously, just try out a bunch of different sizes, see what fits your hands best. Generally, 5As/7As are "jazz" while 5Bs are a rock standard. I use 5As for Rock Band but 5Bs on my acoustic set. Whatever works best for you.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're breaking sticks a lot, you could try aluminum sticks. I gave my sister a pair for her birthday. They're a bit heavier than standard wood sticks but they're literally unbreakable. Be prepared to pay about 4x as much as regular sticks - but assuming the extra heft doesn't bother you, they'll last you nigh on forever aside from occasionally replacing the rubber tips and/or grips.
ZMAN77  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Vic Firth 5A's. Nylon tips so I don't rip through my ion pads. Very good, durable sticks these. Not too light where you can't get any force behind, but light enough that you can roll very roll with them. I like them a lot, and the best sticks I've ever used.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderPower wrote:
I would recommend Pro-Mark 420 Mike Portnoy signature sticks. They're slightly smaller than a 5A, and they have nylon tips. Nylon tips are strongly encouraged due to their durability.

I'd have to second this, I use these whenever I can. Unfortunately the durability seems to waiver from time to time.

For example I had 1 split halfway down the middle within 4 hours of use .

All in all though, they are fantastic sticks.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: