FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Paranoid expert...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kataris  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Paranoid expert... Reply with quote

Wtf..

Does anyone have any tips for this damn song?

I can't do the bass part. Period.

My foot can not work that fast without keeping a steady rhythm.
Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly. Then it'll be, "Well, maybe I can press the pedal with my forehead..." I'd be in a full-body cast at that rate. I can just see myself all wrapped up on a hospital bed in the dark. "I'm...a...high...way...star..." *sniffle*
SamuraiVern  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as fast as you might think. Epic is much much faster, and so is Welcome home. On Paranoid, try and focus on your hi-hat hand (your right hand if you're right handed) and your foot working together. Just drop the bass in between your hand and you'll get it everytime.
Kataris  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck this fucking song.
Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly. Then it'll be, "Well, maybe I can press the pedal with my forehead..." I'd be in a full-body cast at that rate. I can just see myself all wrapped up on a hospital bed in the dark. "I'm...a...high...way...star..." *sniffle*
Powder  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about in general or for the breakdown towards the end with the very fast triplets? If it's the triplets, don't worry, they're very hard to get. If you're talking about the chorus line that dominates most of the song, look at it this way.

Pretend you're playing 8th notes. (ONE AND TWO AND THREE AND FOUR AND)

If you notice, when you hit the snare (red) there is no bass note.

Thus, every 4th note is a snare hit.

Using the counting method listed above:

ONE(B) AND(B) TWO(B) AND(S) THREE(B) AND(B) FOUR(B) AND(S)

Once you have that down, and you should try it in practice for a bit, you can incorporate the other notes. Not too hard once you break it down.
Kataris  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is how fast the bass hits are coming. I can't consistently move my leg/foot that fast.
NoPance  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kataris wrote:
The problem is how fast the bass hits are coming. I can't consistently move my leg/foot that fast.

Yeah it can suck, especially with RB pedal, but your only option really is to try to optimize your motion so that you're using the least amount of energy possible, and build up some chops.

Alternatively you could keep overdrive, and in the fill sections pause it to take a break, but I feel ya--that song can definitely burn.

XBL GT - No Pance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: No Pance
rabies  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed it last night.

If you are just looking to pass..what I ended up doing is just ignoring the 3rd bass drum hit on each measure....and only hit the first two...this made it 100 times easier on me and my leg could last the whole song. When I tried hitting all 3 beats..my leg was fried about 15 seconds in and I started screwing up everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how people use the old "skipping method" from that "Advanced GH Techniques" video now. That was the funniest shit when it came out. For the drums, I have to use it to pass several songs.
disquette  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trouble with the bass part on Creep still

I can only get it correct about 1/3 of the time. On 90% practice speed I can get it about 3/4 of the time. So frustrating. I'm just going to come back to it after playing the rest of the game some, and hope I've built up enough chops to muddle my way to a 5 star on it.
zombie1942  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if youre trying to play heel down... stop... play heel up... use the ball of your foot...

I think one big factor in songs with alot of bass beats is people sitting in chairs to try and play... this is putting your hips too low and forcing you to use way too much energy and keeps your body off balance because you are having to lift you leg first...

you need to be sitting at least with your thigh parallel to the ground... and even a bit higher for maximum balance and efficiency... I sit on my drum throne with my thigh slightly sloping down towards my knee... ala Mike Portnoy... this makes you very balanced and keeps all of your energy down in your legs and feet... plus sitting in low chairs is making guys practically STOMP on their kick pedals...

get out of the chairs... especially the metal folding ones and anything that has you sitting too low to the ground... this will make a HUGE difference.

quick hits like this and like somone mentioned with Creep should be almost all coming from the ankle... but when youre sitting too low, you are forced to bring it from the hip and thigh... thats bad.
disquette  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for the tip. I'm going to mod a pedal tonight (if my dad's soldering gear is available), and will get a stool to go with the pedal.
Powder  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie's totally spot on. I've been playing with my actual drum throne, and was over at a friend's house last night. He didn't have a throne so I had to use the folding chair he's been using.

All I can say is Wow, what a difference. If you're using a chair now, switch over to a stool or actual drum throne as soon as you can. It really is a world of difference.
Kataris  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck.

I fucking hate this song.
Plaguefox  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I panicked at first when I did this song, then I found that I could keep myself going by doing what was essentially the opposite of the "skipping method": during the sections with the triplets, I added a hit between each set.

So I could just hammer on the bass pedal and concentrate on other stuff. The extra hits definitely ruined any chance for combos but the rest of the notes kept my life bar at about the same spot throughout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: