FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tips, Info, Tutorials for Double Bass?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakubo  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Tips, Info, Tutorials for Double Bass? Reply with quote

I got myself a second RB2 stock pedal with the splitter I have 2 stock pedals, and I'm trying to get good at using double bass for hard songs (Mayhem Pack, some rock band netowork songs)

So I'm asking for some Tips, Info, or Tutorials

kthxbai
xBluenormandyx  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I could say is, practice, practice, practice. It may take you a while, like months to get very consistent at it, but it's well worth it. Most of the songs on the mayhem pack are fairly slow on the bass pedal so you shouldn't really have any trouble with the speed. You should also figure out if you're going to play heel up or heel down, or perhaps heeltoe, although I'm not sure how that would fare on a stock pedal.
Deathwish91  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips, Info, Tutorials for Double Bass? Reply with quote

Sakubo wrote:
I got myself a second RB2 stock pedal with the splitter I have 2 stock pedals, and I'm trying to get good at using double bass for hard songs (Mayhem Pack, some rock band netowork songs)

So I'm asking for some Tips, Info, or Tutorials

kthxbai

Here is a tip, get a different double bass. Simply having a splitter will NOT let you be able to hold down one pedal and hit the other pedal. In short, it simply does not work. You wouldn't be able to fc anything with just a regular splitter I'm afraid. Even though I've heard some pretty shitty things about it, the twin rocker might be your best bet. Around 20-30 dollars.

7:49 sokushi: the Guitarist is a chick
7:49 LEEMcBAM: I like chicks 8)
7:49 IAmTehWalrus: how do you know?
7:49 sokushi: she keeps missing
Sakubo  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock pedal I bought included the official splitter, I can keep pressing one pedal and the other one still works
FinalSunrise  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakubo wrote:
The stock pedal I bought included the official splitter, I can keep pressing one pedal and the other one still works

Yea but the official splitter is terribly inconsistent and it doesn't even work properly at higher speeds, twin rocker is still your best bet
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the OP was asking for a best bet, but I've had a lot of static electricity problems with the twin rocker, so if you want a BEST bet you probably would go this way:

http://rockbandkickbox.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=19

Or you could get a normal kick box but use a double bass pedal on your kick trigger. Anyway.

To the OP, a good song to practice on is Indestructible by Disturbed. It has nice long bass sections and it isn't terribly fast. The same kind of sticking principles that typically make sense with your hands also apply with your feet:

1) If it's on the beat, I would start with the dominant limb. So if you play right-handed, play the beat with the right leg and the offbeat with the left leg. If you get a series of bass notes that start on the off-beat (I can't think of an example off hand) start with your left leg so that your right leg is on the beat.
2) Don't confuse things unnecessarily. If a part is slow enough to play with one foot, use one foot. Adding the extra limb is sometimes harder than you might think. There were some songs I remember intending to use double-bass to gold, and I ended up golding them with one leg because I was pissing myself off with "dumb" misses on the left leg .

Some things I found tricky:

1) Not speeding up. I find it's way easier to go too fast than not fast enough. What I try to do for a given part is instead of focusing on the speed for the bass overall, I focus on where I need to be by a certain point (if that makes sense). So I try to keep my right leg on time and that keeps my left leg on time. For Dissident Aggressor (another great song to practice) it's more of a triplet feel you want. This becomes especially important if you start playing Expert+ charts like GH:M, where the bass is faster than any RB chart. Focusing on every leg kick would be as absurd as thinking about every stick hit in Everlong. Instead think of them in groups of 2, 3, or 4, and try to keep the start of each beat on time.

2) Hands/Legs not matching. It's easy enough to keep things coordinated if your hands have little to do, or if your right hand is always in sync with your right leg. It's a bit tougher I find when you have to play a steady stream with your right hand while alternating your legs and doing the occasional snare hit with your left hand. For practicing this, I seem to remember "Are You Dead Yet?" being pretty good. Also something like This Calling's intro or This is Exile's verse (pre-first blasts) where you have to alternate legs at a steady tempo while blasting with your hands is easy to break combo on even with two pedals.

I would say those are the main things to work on. Speed itself will be as easy as pie. Hammer Smashed Face's tempo is nothing if you have two pedals and don't go too fast. It's coordination that will be trickier, at least at first.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: