FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stickings and You -- Making Parts Flow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catalanowned  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see sticking for Kool Thing, lol. Completely insane.
Dozck  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx for the help
laconic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catalanowned wrote:

I'm gonna assume this is the part you're having the issues with:

The problem with Kool Thing is the rock band drum set. On a real set the sticking is pretty much all 8th notes with your right hand, and 16th notes with your left hand.

With the high hat being above the snare on a real kit, it's easy to use your left hand mid roll to hit it. On a rock band kit you would have to cross your arms. Some songs are also harder due to the lack of a left side crash.
Thom1234  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any one have any suggestions for the sticking of the fill in Black Hole Sun's Outro? It is driving me crazy (I signed up to Scorehero just to ask about it.) I've tried it like this:
B R R Y R Y B B B B B B G G G B
R L L R L R R L R L R L R L R L
Should I work on getting fast enough to do it like this at full speed or are there any more efficient methods? Any help will be appreciated.
HARDLUCKDUCK  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laconic wrote:
Catalanowned wrote:

I haven't played it but I would assume: R L R L R L L R L L.

Also, this is kind of cool because I never played drums before and when I made my way through, I actually learned some of these naturally without knowing what they were.

Like one of the big ones that came naturally to me was the paradiddle, so I think it's pretty cool! Great topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just getting to a point where I'm starting to get good at drums but still needed some guidance on fills. This post is exactly what I was looking for when I came to the technique forum. Thanks a lot.
It would help if the sections towards the end had a little more visual like the first sections included.
I just wish I could physically do RttH on HARD. I've tried so many sticking techniques for that song but I end up finding myself just saying fuck this and hitting the red with L as much as I can and hitting yellow when it comes up with R...
MHSTenor09  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrackerRiley wrote:
I'm just getting to a point where I'm starting to get good at drums but still needed some guidance on fills. This post is exactly what I was looking for when I came to the technique forum. Thanks a lot.
It would help if the sections towards the end had a little more visual like the first sections included.
I just wish I could physically do RttH on HARD. I've tried so many sticking techniques for that song but I end up finding myself just saying fuck this and hitting the red with L as much as I can and hitting yellow when it comes up with R...

Personally, I used the RLLRLLR... sticking for RttH on hard. You're basically keeping quarter tempo with your right hand and adding the two-note drag with the left.

The rhythm is exactly the same as The Trooper in GH2... The idea of keeping tempo with one hand is something that isn't just useful in Rock Band, but also real drumming.

Of course, if you have a strong enough right hand at this point in time, it may be easier to do R RLR RLR RLR instead. You'd be keeping an eighth note tempo with your right hand adding in the galloping lefts. Definitely a good practice technique for building strength in your right hand.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: wafflecopter05 PSN Name: wafflecopter05
CrackerRiley  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHSTenor09 wrote:
CrackerRiley wrote:

Personally, I used the RLLRLLR... sticking for RttH on hard. You're basically keeping quarter tempo with your right hand and adding the two-note drag with the left.

yeah, I tried that sticking when practicing tonight... but, for a newb drummer like me for some reason I couldn't get my brain to wrap around it and get my hands to do what I wanted them to do. Even on 50% speed.
MHSTenor09 wrote:
Of course, if you have a strong enough right hand at this point in time, it may be easier to do R RLR RLR RLR instead. You'd be keeping an eighth note tempo with your right hand adding in the galloping lefts. Definitely a good practice technique for building strength in your right hand.

I was just playing around and starting using this sticking and could actually do it pretty well after awhile. I was able to get 100% on sections I was practicing on 80%, but anything faster and I completely lost it. But I think with enough practice this will be the sticking I use to beat that damn song... and hopefully I'll get good enough to keep a combo and not just struggle it.

Also, I beat FP/LT tonight on expert after reading this thread. Never thought I would beat that in a million years..
nonny  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've signed up here just to thank the original poster.

I recently got through hard mode on drums and only came across this thread when I hit the final tier. Its helped me immensely and I've since gone back to earlier songs and improved a huge amount by re-applying some of the basic techniques.

I've found rock band drums to be a complete eye-opener. Im a left handed drummer but strangely I find playing in right-hand mode (default) the most natural and it was the drum fills that was really killing me.

So really I would just like to say a huge thank you for sharing such valuable information... and now Im off to tackle Expert mode (which may take a while).

zzled  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shout out to the original poster NoPance -- this is an incredibly useful guide for untrained RB drummers like myself. I've muddled my way up from Easy to Expert (stuck at Run to the Hills on Hard and The Hand That Feeds on Expert) and have only recently started getting the hang of the basic fills and a few complex patterns. This guide lays out the techniques I'll need to take my drumming to the next level.

THANK YOU!
WVUMountaineers  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use an in-game example for left hand leads on natural sticking, two good ones are the fills in the In Bloom chorus, and the riff in That's What You Get
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MitRialb
azelauskas  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow very nice
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: AZelauskas
MisterMixelpix  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrackerRiley wrote:

It's a matter of training, really. I do normal sticking on all of those runs, and the only thing that muffs me up is when the kick is irregular. What makes it easiest to me is think about your right hand more than anything. Time it so your right is hitting when it should and just get your left to sit in between.

A whole lot of it is in the wrists. If you're trying to make your forearms move you're gonna die.

xBluenormandyx  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARDLUCKDUCK wrote:
laconic wrote:
Catalanowned wrote:

I haven't played it but I would assume: R L R L R L L R L L.

Also, this is kind of cool because I never played drums before and when I made my way through, I actually learned some of these naturally without knowing what they were.

Like one of the big ones that came naturally to me was the paradiddle, so I think it's pretty cool! Great topic.

That's how I play Kool Thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: