FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stickings and You -- Making Parts Flow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aryall  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to register to echo the request for working images. I'm working my way through Expert now and have hit the wall where I need to practise and learn technique to pass songs. This looks like an awesome guide to helping me through it.
Lloyd1337  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix images please. This looks like a great guide that would help me a lot, but I'm a visual person, and I have trouble visualising stuff like this in my head.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Lloyd1337 PSN Name: Lloyd1337
qirex  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stickings and You -- Making Parts Flow Reply with quote

The images (by name, at least) appear to be the rock band drum freticons

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27034

I've taken the liberty of doing a search and replace on the URLs until the OP gets his server up and running. Relevant parts included below.

(note: the only icon that didn't seem to match up with an existing RB drum freticon was e.gif. From what I can tell, it was used to indicate a blank space, so I eliminated it and just put a blank emoticon
Code:
:-:
in place. Hopefully this creates a visual representation of what the OP had done (i didn't see this topic prior to the pictures being unavailable so I'm not 100% sure.)

NoPance wrote:

2. Natural (RLRL) Sticking

(fills with even groupings)

(16th-note hi-hat patterns).

2.1 Right-hand/Left-Hand Lead Natural Sticking

3. Right-Hand Lead (R RL R RL) Sticking

4. Paradiddle (RLRR LRLL) Sticking

5. Puhduhduh (RLL RLL) Sticking

6. Double-Stroke (RR LL) Sticking

6.1 A Sidebar to Quad Playing - Sweeps/Scrapes

Mods: since this topic is sticky, and since it looks like the OP has been out of action for a while (based on post history), you may wish to edit the original. Or not - this should be sufficient (unless the topic grows more pages, in which case this could get lost in the mix.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stickings and You -- Making Parts Flow Reply with quote

qirex wrote:
Mods: since this topic is sticky, and since it looks like the OP has been out of action for a while (based on post history), you may wish to edit the original. Or not - this should be sufficient (unless the topic grows more pages, in which case this could get lost in the mix.)

I was already considering editing the original. This just made it easier to do--thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So suppose I have the following pattern:

. . .

This is Guitar Solo B and C from (Don't Fear) The Reaper on Hard. The rolls go pretty fast.

Anyway, the first sticking I tried was

RLRLR RLRLR RLRLR RLRLRLR

Which worked alright, but I couldn't do it as accurately as I wanted to. I also tried to do the double-stroke:

RRLLR RRLLR RRLLR LLRRLLR

This also worked, kinda. I just had to remember to start on L for the 6 note roll things.

Which sticking is more correct?

Anyway, a bit later the song has a long roll on red (eigth notes?), and then after a while the roll switches to what appears to be triplets. IOW it goes from 4 beats per bar to 6. How should I handle this change?
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Lloyd1337 PSN Name: Lloyd1337
NoPance  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for updating this thread for me--I've been AWOL for a little bit with work and other factors. Sorry to those who were left in the dark with the broken images.

Lloyd--

I do that part with the sticking you described for no real reason other than it's what I naturally played when I came across that part, but it has the added benefit of letting you keep steady 8th notes in your right hand to stay in time.

The distance between the cymbal hit and the next snare hit is a 16th rest, so you don't go out of time doing it if you concentrate on your right hand:

RlRlR(x)RlRlR(x) ... etc.

An alternative sticking if you want to be smoother is to use left-handed paradiddles or double-paradiddles, but depending on your experience with that sticking that may end up being more uncomfortable for you (lots of people have trouble with left hand leads:

LRLL R LRLL R LRLRLL R

Mileage may varry.

XBL GT - No Pance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: No Pance
BadAstronaut  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fantastic guide!

I somehow managed to finish the expert tour with no technique, but I had to do some pretty cheap stuff for a few songs (such as only playing bass+snare, or saving an overdrive for a long time).

Hopefully with these techniques I can work on actually playing the songs well.
Rickjames730  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a lot of useful information.
Well-deserved sticky.

-Insert religious belief/disbelief here.- -Insert stupid comment about said belief.-
Seriously I'm tired of seeing those types of signatures. Nobody cares.
mdouet  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right handed and it feels awkward to start a drum roll with my right hand, feels more natural starting with my left, is this normal?

Because of this I'm having alot of problems with the methods described here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this!! Hope it helps

Rock Band: Led Zeppelin
Rykan  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdouet wrote:
I'm right handed and it feels awkward to start a drum roll with my right hand, feels more natural starting with my left, is this normal?

That really isn't normal, I believe ;
But if it feels comfortable, it feels comfortable. Although I can foresee a -lot- of problems in your future...

Yusuke wrote:
I have a question:

Are You Gonna Be My Girl is one of my fav songs in this game, and I prolly could FC if I concentrated enough except for ONE FILL. It happens at chorus 1a and 2a and goes like this:

RYRRYRYB

Is there an easier way to do this?

How I do that is this:

Code:
RYRRYRYB
--------
LRLLRLRR

I hope that helps.

~Scores~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: KernalCack
Formose  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that part from Foreplay, am I mistaken or do you suggest playing it RLL, RLL? Because the way I read that it means R (red), L (Red), L (Blue/Green)

Which makes no sense because you have to hit red and subsequently Blue/Green with your left hand?

I just do it RLR RLR and get no problems at all. I dunno if you mean something else by that it just seemed counterintuitive to me.
SubIime  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you mean the reall loud section, you should probably do this.

RLLRLLRLL
Abaddon  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Sticking for "I Fought The Law" intro? Reply with quote

So, I found this thread a while ago, and as a non-drummer in real life, I thank the OP and the contributors since, because this is invaluable info for someone like me.

That said, I hadn't really had to apply it since I skipped RttH on Hard and went directly to Expert, and so far I have muddled my way through. That has come to a screeching halt with "I Fought The Law". I suck at the yellow roll intro, but can muddle my way through it, since it is obviously not complicated. But once I hit the part where the guitar comes in I'm hopelessly lost. I tried playing it at 50% and just could not get comfortable with anything.

So, I took a look at the chart linked on this site (a great resource!) and I've come up with a sticking that I think would work for me. I'm interested if this makes sense or if I should maybe rethink it. I have air drummed it out a few times at slow speeds while counting and I think it will work but would definitely not mind feedback.

So, without further ado, starting with the first cymbal crash, here's what I am thinking:

Code:
G YRR YYYYYRR YYGYYRR YYGYYRR
R RLL RLRLRLL RLRLRLL RLRLRLL

I think this should work pretty well, I do have an R R on G/Y but there is a beat inbetween that hopefully is enough time to move over, and it sounds like a "scrape" as mentioned in the OP. Other than that it seems like it is mostly natural sticking with a little paradiddle thrown in.

Thoughts? Does this seem reasonable? Is this how other people play it?
KEFIOX  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdouet wrote:

I have the same problem, although I am left handed but... practice makes perfect right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: KEFIOX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: