FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1/27 DLC - Grateful Dead Pack 02!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abomstar  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to take this pack out for a spin on drums. I'm not the most adept drummer, and don't typically play them that much, but the first Grateful Dead pack is one of the standards that I play virtually every time I do (other highlights being The Killers and Mission of Burma packs). What draws me to the Dead songs on drums is mostly the "feel" of them; those songs seem very organic to play. It's one of the rare cases where I feel like I'm actually playing the drum track, not just playing to it.

And for the most part these new songs hold up in that respect; the best examples being Doin' That Rag, Uncle John's Band, and Cold Rain & Snow.

Doin' That Rag might actually be my favorite song of the week for Rock Band. The charts are rather intriguing, it has a tricky guitar solo, and the song is full of tempo shifts and unusual start/stop dynamics.

Cold Rain & Snow drums is worth a mention, as it plays like a punk song. Very fast and a ton of rolls. Challenging, but easily overlooked.

These also seem like far better songs for vocals than the first pack, although I haven't tried them yet. Hell in a Bucket has some really great delivery, and even Uncle John's Band, despite being tier 0, seems fun because of the harmonies.

So yeah, recommended.
Catalanowned  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the drum charts are fun except Don't Ease Me In... Spirit in the Sky combined with Truckin' to make a drum chart from hell.
cincyroach  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expert Guitar:

Cold Rain and Snow- A pretty easy song with a lot of strumming and a couple of ho/po in the verses. It's easy, but like most dead songs its got a cool vibe.

Hell in a Bucket- I thought this song was just ok. Sure it has a lot of ho/po and 2 solos, but i just thought that it didnt have the same vibe to it as most dead songs to.

Fire on the Mountain- Really cool song. not exactly the most entertaining on guitar, but music wise this song is awsome.

Doin' That Rag- Wow, this is a really awsome song. it has a really cool vibe that flows throughout the song, it has very cool sounding riffs, and its got an awsome solo.

Uncle John's Band- A cool little campfire dead song that has mostly acoustic chords, with some licks sprinkled in. a pretty fun song.

Dont Ease me in- The most fun guitar song this week. Plently of variety, and a really cool solo to boot.

What I Recommend- Optimally get the whole pack, but if short on MSP, pick up doin that rag, and dont ease me in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxxxers wrote:
there are also 6 songs that are now available on the Wii for DLC today

they are:
Attack by 30 Seconds To Mars
Gimme Three Steps by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Just What I Needed by The Cars
Live Forever by Oasis
Siva by Smashing Pumkins
Tell Me Baby by Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Wii is ripping you off. 4/6 of those songs were already available for Wii on the Track Packs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Kamen Islands
deathbat911  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace-kicker wrote:
Npeaen wrote:
video links this week could be hard to come by. Grateful dead is WMG and my usual videos have pretty much all been canned so far, I've disputed, but six disputes over the course of an hour is likely going to end badly for me and my account.

that is so dumb. what is wrong with youtube these days

Dont you mean whats wrong with WMG?
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pack looks ok, I've never been a fan of Grateful Dead and I'm low on MSP, but I might pick up one of the funner ones.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
maxxxers  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augthebomb wrote:
maxxxers wrote:
there are also 6 songs that are now available on the Wii for DLC today

they are:
Attack by 30 Seconds To Mars
Gimme Three Steps by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Just What I Needed by The Cars
Live Forever by Oasis
Siva by Smashing Pumkins
Tell Me Baby by Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Wii is ripping you off. 4/6 of those songs were already available for Wii on the Track Packs.

ik this is SO DUMB that HMX is putting songs for DLC that i already have! its so dumb. any1 that bought the track packs are now regretting it, i know i am. so i guess that i might as well just drive over to gamestop now so i can get 1/4 of the money back for these games.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I was wrong about this pack. For whatever reason, several of these are now appealing to me. I've never cared for any of the Dead songs from the first pack. Anyway, whenever Target has another one of those points sales, I'll probably have my eye on everything but Uncle John's Band and Fire on the Mountain.
espher  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed some of these.

I expected them to be fun, but not as fun as they were.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
orangeglacier  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good on drums. Overall, I'd rank the 12 Grateful Dead DLC on drums, from best to worst:

China Cat Sunflower
Hell in a Bucket
Casey Jones
Sugar Magnolia
Fire on the Mountain
Cold Rain and Snow
Doin' That Rag
Truckin'
Uncle John's Band
Franklin's Tower
Don't Ease Me In
I Need a Miracle

GH5 (30/43)(Gamma Ray latest)
RB2 (39/42)(Souls of Black latest)
ace-kicker  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathbat911 wrote:
ace-kicker wrote:
Npeaen wrote:
video links this week could be hard to come by. Grateful dead is WMG and my usual videos have pretty much all been canned so far, I've disputed, but six disputes over the course of an hour is likely going to end badly for me and my account.

that is so dumb. what is wrong with youtube these days

Dont you mean whats wrong with WMG?

you're right
platinum trophy for rb2 [ ]
Catch a shiny Giratina (started march 29th 2009) [ ]

youtube name--> (iamjoshconrad)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jonfen88 PSN Name: Johnny_bananas
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People on drums need to stop ragging on Don't Ease Me In. It is 100x more fun than Truckin. The pain with Truckin was 2 things. First of all it is very very long, a score of 350,000 on drums is possible which is so high. Also, the bigger problem was that it came out when people were still not quite adept at drumming yet. This meant people's left hand could not take a 6 minute song that used it as much as their main hand. (Or vice versa for left handers).

Don't East Me In does not have the length truckin had, and has a much easier part for your left hand to play. It is a lot more fun in my opinion to play the high hat like this song than to keep just a constant beat we see in many songs.

I am not saying this is the best drum song in the pack, but it is definitely not the worse, and it was the only song I played twice last night because it was fun and somewhat tricky.

As for vocals... Doin the Rag and Hell in a Bucket are beasts.. the rest are pretty easy to get down quick.

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
Nuke39  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice little touch I noticed.

When you play Uncle John's Band, the whole band will sing along with you during the ENTIRE song. I just thought that was pretty cool on HMX's part
roysche  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SERIOUSLY SHOULD NOT BUT THIS PACK BUT HELL IT LOOKS LIKE A GOOD ONE A FEW MORE GOOD SONGS CAN'T HURT AND MY BROTHER WOULD LOVE IT HAHA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Roysche
purkie103  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roysche wrote:
I SERIOUSLY SHOULD NOT BUT THIS PACK BUT HELL IT LOOKS LIKE A GOOD ONE A FEW MORE GOOD SONGS CAN'T HURT AND MY BROTHER WOULD LOVE IT HAHA.

This is definitely not the kinda 1st post i would of made on the forums. Hint caps lock is bad.

I havnt bought any DLC for a while but from what ive seen and the reviews you guys have given i think i might get this one i prefer to play fun songs over hard ones which is hows this packs sounds.
This is my favorite gameplay advice ever.

"Just relax and pretend you're slaughtering Native Americans."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: