FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
dead on arrival = impossible
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halcyonryu  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: dead on arrival = impossible Reply with quote

I have been doing pretty well, 4-starring my way through the drum career. Then I hit this, and I literally have no hope of passing this song. My record so far is around 25% after like 30 tries. I don't seem physically capable of hitting the pedal in between the pad hits at that speed for that long. I have problems with fast pad-pedal-pad-pedal parts in other songs also, but this song does nothing but that the entire time and it just beats me to death. I even tried skipping every other bass hit just to make it easier, but I still just get all retarded and can't keep up enough to survive. The motion of hitting the pedal between the pads at that speed just seems completely unnatural. Is this actually how the drums go in this song? I have a hard time believing anyone in fall out boy has enough talent to do this.

It's getting to the point where I almost asked a friend to hit the bass for me just so I could get to the next tier, but I fear that I'm just gonna run into more of this later so I guess I need to figure it out. Just seems hopeless right now, I've never hit a roadblock like this in guitar hero before. If I ever got stuck I knew what I needed to do. But on this I just can't seem to make my foot do it. It hits right for like 2 hits then it just starts hitting right along with my hands, no matter how hard I try to make it hit between the hands.
m4tth4x  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key on really off beat bass rythms is to mentally seperate your hands and your feet in terms of rythm. Trust me when I say that you will get it time, what seems unnatural now will seem second nature after enough practice. Just focus on doing better on earlier songs for now.

Drum Goals-

Get 1st place on a song [X] (Even the Losers and Here Comes My Girl (Live))

Guitar Goals -

FC Chinease Democracy [ ]
FC Godzilla [X]
FC Chrion [-1]
FC Mud On The Tires [X]
FC Tripolette [-2]

Add me on XBL if you wanna play RB/GH
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On w hich difficulty?
I just checked a medium run and looked easy enough.
I hate the ones that are R+Y, Bass, R+Y, Bass, R+Y, Bass...
Specially when fast. I did a bit better if I count along with it but thats one of the only ones so far that Doing 2-3 times hasnt made me get it.
Shortmann  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on Expert, the off beat bass is extremley difficult to catch in a site-read. I had to replay it a couple of times and take it into practice to figure out where those bass hits fell.

But, like m4tth4x said, it's hard, but play enough songs with off beat bass hits, and you'll eventually begin to learn how to multi-task. Doing 4 different things (or 3 in Rock Band's case) at once is the hardest part for new drummers. The best advice is to slow it down, and count it outloud, and pray muscle memory kicks in.
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod, I got it first try on hard. It was a bit odd and outta whack.
I like how scaling difficulty seems non existant.
I do go with the flow, rough, was blinkin red for first time in any song, and I barely passed,3 and half stars prolly.
Then comes ball room blitz, easy 5*
then DOA which I 4 and change.

I dunno, usually last in the tier is hard and first is easy.
seems rockbands drums is first 1 is hard, 2nd not so much, 3 and 4 is a free ride, then 5 is usually just long and easy to 5*
dragoon013  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first song my drum-playing friend failed repeatedly, and the first song I couldn't beat on expert.

The kick isn't actually terribly hard, as it does repeat its pattern, you just have to figure out the first ten seconds or so. It mostly continues throughout the entire song.

I had a lot more trouble with Detroit Rock City, actually.
rhythmjunkie  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, coming from an un-trained drummer/percussionist this song is VERY hard to learn. I started to get the rhythm after about 8 fails, but still... The one emo song they have to include has to be so difficult that you have to hear all 4 min of its terrible-ness over and over... lol /wrists
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragoon013 wrote:
This was the first song my drum-playing friend failed repeatedly, and the first song I couldn't beat on expert.

This was the ONLY song I failed on expert on my sightread (been playing drums for 12 years). It is WAY out of place.

Proud Carungiist - If you are a Carungiist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Carungiists are on ScoreHero!
yakityyakblah wrote:
OMG it's called scorehero not shitty argument hero.

Author for RockGamer Studios
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
ocelot11  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally beat this on expert today (right after I finally beat RttH on hard lol).
The key for me was to take it into practice and slow it down to get the patterns down and what not. I didn't practice it solid until I memorized it, but having a general idea of what was going on helped.

I just remember the first time I came across a bass hit in between pad hits, I thought I'd never be able to hit that, and consequently never play drums on hard or expert. It's amazing what a little practice can do.
dragoon013  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just beat it yesterday, too.

It was almost like every time I tried to think about it, I screwed up, but when I just relaxed and let my foot hit the pedal without trying to get it exactly right, it just did mostly what was required naturally. My foot actually learned the bass beat and didn't need to see it on the screen. Haha, one step closer to actual drumming.
NoPance  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely made it through my sightread. It wasn't too bad when I figured out what the rhythm was, but it was definitely hard to pick it out first time.

Really the thing to do is just aim for the double-stops which are on the beat, and let your foot fill in the gaps. Trying to think that fine-grained about your foot being on the offbeats will probably trip you up. Just aim for the red/yellows and let your foot happen naturally between them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: No Pance
SamuraiVern  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is without a doubt the worst note chart in the game. If you listen to the song it is NOT difficult to play IRL. The way they positioned the notes, the inconsistancy of the drummer, and the inconsideration for the limits of what one can do while reading streaming notes culminate to make this song suck ass. No joke, I hate this song. I hate this song. I hate this song. This is the only song I haven't 4 STARRED yet.
phoenix4417  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I actually love playing this song. Idk how you could hate it

anyways to the OP It just takes practice. I thought I would never beat it so I just went and played some other songs then came back and started doing better and finally got the beat down.

And just wondering and I kno this is off topic.... But why can people beat RttH and not beat Won't get fooled again?? I beat that and I am no where near close to beating RttH : /. Thats the only song I havent beaten to finish up expert career.
Get 100% on 60 songs on expert [x]
Get 100% on 65 songs on expert [ ] (63)

I could easily have all of these goals finished but I never play GH3 much and when I do I am not going for these goals lol. I usually just play coop/PFO.
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love playing this song, too. I always make sure that I do a run-through before I'm done playing drums for the night. It's short, fun, hard, and I'm FINALLY able to do that long, fast fill going into the last chorus!

Proud Carungiist - If you are a Carungiist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Carungiists are on ScoreHero!
yakityyakblah wrote:
OMG it's called scorehero not shitty argument hero.

Author for RockGamer Studios
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny because I can beat Flirtin' With Disaster and Tom Sawyer and can't even touch this song still... This is so frustrating... I'm starting to get off-beat bass patterns, but with it being such a fast song, it's really hard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: