FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Run to the Hills EXPERT Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghozt360  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombie1942 wrote:
the proper way to play this song is to not roll the hihat with doubles... all singles is the way this type of pattern is played...

However, the key to maintaining stamina is accenting the 1 and 5 beats... meaning the very first hi-hat and the snare of each of the 8 beats (the same beats as the bass drum)... this allows for a sort of resting period for the other beats because youre playing them a bit softer... its hard to explain... but if youre trying to play every beat at the same level of pressure or intensity you're going to make your heart, head and ass explode all at the same time...

when you are accenting the 1 and 5 beats to be a bit harder than the others youre able to roll the rest of the singles much smoother cuz youre playing them on either a down or upstroke of the accents... its a flow thing... and its all wrists with exception to the accents... its the forearms slightly moving up and down on the accents that power the wrist's whipping motion and keep everything in check...

getting good at RB drums will just take time for anyone who hasnt played drums simply because you are developing so same sets of skills as a beginner...

VERY IMPORTANT

another thing that I would guess is having a HUGE impact on people's playing and ability to maintain stamina is your grip on the stick... I would guess that 99% of anyone that has never played the drums is holding the sticks wrong... which really goes against your potential to get really good... especailly with RttH since the ability to play this song rests completely on your rebound and control of the stick...

holding drumsticks correctly actually feels weird at first and unnatural which is why everyone starts off holding them wrong... holding them correctly is hugely important.

watch this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vfKj8FGvYAM

I would also agree that playing it on hard would seem harder than expert because of the break in energy ever other beat with the left hand..

This is a very simple and striaght forward song.. its just requires some stick control... I would have to agree that Brainpower is the biggest kick in the balls for me...

fairly helpful, thank u, i am one of the people with 57/58 songs down on hard and 42/58 on expert...i refuse to even try RTtH again for awhile...i can prob do it if i see someone else play it first, the timing is just weird for me...stamina is not the issue at all for me, timing is, i thought it was my HDTV, switched to a regular 32 inch and still fail about 45% everytime, and its the same thing over n over, it baffles me.....it really does, i mite go as far as saying i HATE this song now...
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man you guys got my juiced up to play this. I havent done quickplay yet to spoil myself. Plus would suck to do it on first run and not have it count for my career.
Damn wife wanted to fight and threaten to throw me out last night so I couldnt play last night.
anonymous_103  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Kataris  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 BPM is slightly slower?

What the hell are you smoking?

EDIT: Oh, and add me to the list of people who have beaten every song - on hard - except RttH.
Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly. Then it'll be, "Well, maybe I can press the pedal with my forehead..." I'd be in a full-body cast at that rate. I can just see myself all wrapped up on a hospital bed in the dark. "I'm...a...high...way...star..." *sniffle*
jameseatworld  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

run to the hills is by far the hardest song for me. I have passed everything on Hard and almost everything on Expert, yet I cannot do anything on Run to the Hills, its a joke.
anonymous_103  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kataris  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I can play the fast reds on Don't Fear the Reaper just fine but I can't play this?
Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly. Then it'll be, "Well, maybe I can press the pedal with my forehead..." I'd be in a full-body cast at that rate. I can just see myself all wrapped up on a hospital bed in the dark. "I'm...a...high...way...star..." *sniffle*
zombie1942  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast reds on Reaper are nothing compared to RttH...

I would bet you money that your red pad is missing every other hit....

you all need to go into practice... select a song that has a long no-drum intro and then put it on 50% speed... so you have plenty of time to wack away at the drums to see what happens...

Watch how many and how often your red pad misses...

put a couple pieces of black electrical tape on the left side of the rim and pull it down over the side and around the bottom... putting just a bit of tension on it to dampen the vibrations... and then see what you get...

dont put tape on the right side of the red pad close to the support arm or it will pick up vibration from the yellow strikes and register hits when you hit the yellow pad...

same with the Green if it misses only put tape on the right outside edges...

the red and green pads being out on support arms with nothing really underneath them makes for alot of extra vibration on multiple fast hits... these vibrations mask your quick hits... (only the fast ones like RttH)... dampen the vibration with tape and youre set.
rhythmjunkie  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass on 1 and 5 and there are 8 beats. so alternate left-right sticking on the red drum and just try to count it out in your head. Anyways.. this little mental trick helped me figure out the rhythm. I guess its pretty basic-- just fast as hell and hard for someone with MODERATE stick control
Unnome  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just beat this song on expert yesterday. Took me a while to get it because I realized that the notes weren't registering as hits because I was hitting the middle of the pad. I tried to hit the very edge of the pad (not the black part) and I beat the song on my first time trying that method. I don't know if it was just my drum set, but its worht a try.
zombie1942  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little tape and your pads should start registering much better...

try it.. .you'll likie.
Cliff  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongSockSilver wrote:
deepbluevibes wrote:
I'm saying, even for someone with zero experience at drums, zero experience at video games or rhythm games, you should be having FAR more trouble with songs two or three tiers lower than where Run to the Hills is comparitively, because Run to the Hills is put up wayyy too high on the tier list.

Problem is, you CAN'T say that as someone who is inexperienced, because you're not. As a damn good RB Expert drummer with no drumming experience (I'm not hooked up to live, but I probably will be soon), I can pretty safely say that it's by far the hardest song to pass (and achieve higher than 3 stars on) for the inexperienced.

-LSS

I agree with this. I have no drumming experience, and RttH is the last song I need to pass on expert drums. The problem with this song is that I simply can't play that fast for that long. With every other drum song in the game, the problem was figuring out a rhythm or sticking patter or being able to separate my limbs a little better. In Run to the Hills, the problem lies in building up the strength, accuracy, and stamina to physically play that many notes that quickly, and I see it taking much longer to pass that song than it has any other (for me).
NoPance  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hard" is totally relative so I agree that's a poor point to argue. Something can be hard because it requires a lot of chops/stamina, it can be hard because it requires a lot of independence, it can be hard because it requires a lot of fast bass hits, it can be hard because you can't conceptually parse or wrap your head around the style of the song, etc. etc.

I think most people will agree RttH is harder than Say it Ain't So, but when you get into the upper tiers of drumming it becomes more of a personal struggle between what trips you up the most. For some people, the Molly Hatchet song messes up their world--but for me I just recognized it as a triplet-based shuffle and nearly broke 200k on sightread. In contrast, I find songs like Next to You to be extremely hard for me because of the lack of rebound in the RB pedal. It's gonna be different for different people, but one thing's for certain: RttH is a decent workout, even if the part isn't conceptually difficult.

XBL GT - No Pance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: No Pance
anonymous_103  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-apples  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepbluevibes wrote:
NoPance wrote:
the lack of rebound in the RB pedal.

whoa, whoa, what? What pedal are you playing on? If I shift my entire body weight onto the RB pedal, I can't keep it pressed down fully, unless I slam it down with all of my leg strength, and once I do that, it pops back up so fast that I can't even keep it pressed down again for a second hit most of the time.

0_O

There are definately some variations in the pedal. Mine probably takes twice the pressure to activate as my buddy's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: