FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Drum roll" - a drummer's rant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: "Drum roll" - a drummer's rant Reply with quote

Let me preface this post by saying I do not mean to come across as elitist in any way. I'm really a nice guy - ask Draktyr, Defiler, or TheBigBB. If I offend anyone or come off as condescending, I'm sincerely sorry, but I need to get this off my chest. I've been playing drums for 12 years, have a college degree in music performance (percussion), and have played in numerous rock/punk bands, jazz bands, marching bands, concert bands, and orchestras, and therefore consider myself very well educated in the area of drums and percussion. I've also taught many students on drumset, in marching bands, and on other percussion instruments.

Mods, if this post gets too "flame"y or you see it as unfit to be on these forums, than feel free to remove it. However, this is a forum for Technique, which I feel this belongs in.

/rant on

On these forums, the word "drum roll" seems to be thrown around pretty loosely. The common usage of the word here seems to be the patterns of fast notes, such as in the middle of Aerosmith's "Train Kept A-Rollin" or most of all of Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills".

A drum roll, as commonly used in the drum/percussion world, refers to a closed roll, or "buzz" roll. Taken from the Wikipedia article "drum roll":
Quote:
The most common snare drum roll is the closed (or "buzz") roll. The open roll (or "double-stroke roll") is played with double strokes alternating between the left and right hands; the closed roll or multiple-bounce roll is produced by applying slightly more pressure to the fulcrum upon impact which allows for the stick to bounce many times on the drum head. One stick hits the head slightly before the other bouncing stick is pulled up from the head. This produces a near continual sound when the technique is mastered.

Let me assure you that mastering a closed roll is exponentially more difficult than anything in rock band. Yes, some of those songs are fast, but none of them use the technique quoted above. Most are just really fast 16th notes (as in the two tracks mentioned above), some sextuplets, some 32-nd notes. There is nothing in Rock Band that simulates a closed roll. The closest would likely be the opening to Smashing Pumpkin's "Cherub Rock", although again, those are just fast single strokes.

While technically, there is such a thing as a single-stroke roll (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-stroke_roll), it does not sound like or feel like a closed roll.

I can guarantee that if you asked an experienced drummer sitting behind a drumset or standing behind a snare drum to play a drum roll, they would play a closed roll (or at least I would hope so).

/rant off

So, I don't really know what I was trying to accomplish by writing this... I suppose it's just a pet peeve of mine. Any other drummers out there care to agree or disagree?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
nfamouswun  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i concur with you. i've played drums for 14 years. a great example you used is Cherub rock opening. as far as incorporating a closed roll into the game i can see it being like a held note on guitar.
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfamouswun wrote:
i concur with you. i've played drums for 14 years. a great example you used is Cherub rock opening. as far as incorporating a closed roll into the game i can see it being like a held note on guitar.

True, but what would be the threshhold? I'd imagine it would be so subjective that it would be better to leave it out of the game.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
Shortmann  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur, granted, it's not annoying me that they are confusing drum terms, but you are 100% correct. 15 years of drumming here, while I'm not a music major, I have done marching band/drum line/pit and 8 years of percussion in school, and my drum set at home.

Anyways, tangent aside, I don't really think the drums are sensitive to pick up a proper buzz roll or even any time of roll. Especially considering the drums themselves don't give enough bounce to easily do a drum roll. RttH on Expert kills my wrists (granted, they are a bit out of practice compared to when I was still playing in band) and I try to do controlled bouncing with the sticks to ease help with stamina. If they were sensitive and bouncy enough, then that would probably make the game harder for people who have no stick control.
saxuallyAPeasing  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think that's bad then try to ignore how the word "triplet" is thrown around...

1. Toxicity - System of a Down (now impossible?)
2. Paradise Lost - Symphony X
3. Octavarium - Dream Theater
4. Train of Thought - Dream Theater
5. You Could Have It So Much Better - Franz Ferdinand
Topher  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 5 years experience of general percussion for me but I fully agree with you.

Funny thing is, while I still played I had a teacher try to convince me that a roll on Tympani was entirely single stroke. I eventually quit because he was too full of himself and couldn't deal with him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: TopherXPwns
rhythmdev9  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i disagree... i've played percussion for 17 years... a "roll" is not just a buzz roll but also an open roll... the 16th on some of these songs are open rolls and they are played on a drum therefor they are an drum roll...
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topher wrote:
Only 5 years experience of general percussion for me but I fully agree with you.

Funny thing is, while I still played I had a teacher try to convince me that a roll on Tympani was entirely single stroke.
I eventually quit because he was too full of himself and couldn't deal with him.

Not to rain on your parade, but the most widely-accepted method of rolling on tympani is a single stroke roll. Since the drum is so resonant, doing a buzz roll on a tympano seriously limits the natural resonance of the drum.

rhythmdev9 wrote:
actually i disagree... i've played percussion for 17 years... a "roll" is not just a buzz roll but also an open roll... the 16th on some of these songs are open rolls and they are played on a drum therefor they are an drum roll...

Fair enough. But if you were standing behind a drum and someone asked you to do a drum roll, would you not play a buzz roll?

Btw, I love your avatar. Are you a marimbist? I studied with She-e Wu for my four years in college.
rhythmdev9  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right about the buzz roll thing i guess its just a semanticas argument anyway...

i've been playing percussive key boards since high school... i did drum corps for a while mostly on marimba
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, cool... which corps? Any of the Division I groups?
de1337ed  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxuallyAPeasing wrote:
If you think that's bad then try to ignore how the word "triplet" is thrown around...
"Double strumming"?

Misnomers are essentially unavoidable, and I, for one, having read your mini-rant (which I felt was more informative than offensive) will think twice before mislabeling a drum phrase. It's an issue of ignorance for me, though, not selectively; I can't be expected to know drum jargon unless it is explained to me at some point.

I just appreciate that you took the effort to point out why the single-strokes on RB aren't a closed roll as opposed to posting a "lern 2 t4lk drumer nubz" topic.

-de1337ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A response to your rant: You'll have to excuse all of scorehero who misinterpreted the section of Aerosmith's Train Kept On Rollin' section as the "Drum Roll" section for the reason that it is titled "Drum Roll".

You'll have to take your rant down to Harmonix if you want to be satisfied.

Edit: Okay I wasn't trying to be harsh or anything, so I'll clear this up before I get any retaliation. Thank you for providing some insight on what is technically a drum roll due to your sources. It is valuable information for anyone that does not know a lot about drums and the techniques used. I was merely pointing out the other side of the information.

Last edited by wswsii on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:33 am; edited 2 times in total
LOSTin2007  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswsii wrote:
A response to your rant: You'll have to excuse all of scorehero who misinterpreted the section of Aerosmith's Train Kept On Rollin' section as the "Drum Roll" section for the reason that it is titled "Drum Roll".

Both the open roll and closed roll are still considered "rolls" though right, and we are playing on the drums, so wouldn't they BOTH be considered "drum rolls"... it's just that there's one type of drum roll we don't use in the game??

-Jake

PS.... The roll you're talking about that IS NOT in the game, aren't they impossible to get to recognize on our crap drumsets anyway?

PPS... I'm sure you got a good point and everything, I'm a guitarist and played trumpet in jr/high school, I knkow what a triplet is and it is thrown around quite loosely here... i'm just trying to figure out the semantics of this situation...
ghozt360  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: "Drum roll" - a drummer's rant Reply with quote

GurnKiller wrote:
Let me preface this post by saying I do not mean to come across as elitist in any way. I'm really a nice guy - ask Draktyr, Defiler, or TheBigBB. If I offend anyone or come off as condescending, I'm sincerely sorry, but I need to get this off my chest. I've been playing drums for 12 years, have a college degree in music performance (percussion), and have played in numerous rock/punk bands, jazz bands, marching bands, concert bands, and orchestras, and therefore consider myself very well educated in the area of drums and percussion. I've also taught many students on drumset, in marching bands, and on other percussion instruments.

Mods, if this post gets too "flame"y or you see it as unfit to be on these forums, than feel free to remove it. However, this is a forum for Technique, which I feel this belongs in.

good post i havent read the responses....not flamey at all and i appreciate ur knowledge...i also notice ur top10 maybe top5 now on the leaderboards so i know ur not bullshitting, the only percussion actual knowledge i have is from what i learned in grammer school band (3rd-8th) playing trombone for one year then switching to bass drum, snare, and cymbals...never had to play anything faster than a 16th note (we sucked) how do u count a 32nd note? that might sound confusing, what i mean is, 1 and 2 and 3 nd 4 and.....then an 8th would be oney n a twoy n a threey n a foury? correct? can u even count 32nds? or do u just play em? id also like a visual of what an 8th note looks like in RB, i get very confused with the timing if i dont put my TV volume on deaf....even for the guitar it seems different...like in GH2 when u saw a bunch of the same chord one after another in a song, if u saw that same spacing in another song youd play it at the same exact speed, this seems different in RB...sry im high this prob makes no sense...
/rant on

On these forums, the word "drum roll" seems to be thrown around pretty loosely. The common usage of the word here seems to be the patterns of fast notes, such as in the middle of Aerosmith's "Train Kept A-Rollin" or most of all of Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills".

A drum roll, as commonly used in the drum/percussion world, refers to a closed roll, or "buzz" roll. Taken from the Wikipedia article "drum roll":
Quote:
The most common snare drum roll is the closed (or "buzz") roll. The open roll (or "double-stroke roll") is played with double strokes alternating between the left and right hands; the closed roll or multiple-bounce roll is produced by applying slightly more pressure to the fulcrum upon impact which allows for the stick to bounce many times on the drum head. One stick hits the head slightly before the other bouncing stick is pulled up from the head. This produces a near continual sound when the technique is mastered.

Let me assure you that mastering a closed roll is exponentially more difficult than anything in rock band. Yes, some of those songs are fast, but none of them use the technique quoted above. Most are just really fast 16th notes (as in the two tracks mentioned above), some sextuplets, some 32-nd notes. There is nothing in Rock Band that simulates a closed roll. The closest would likely be the opening to Smashing Pumpkin's "Cherub Rock", although again, those are just fast single strokes.

While technically, there is such a thing as a single-stroke roll (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-stroke_roll), it does not sound like or feel like a closed roll.

I can guarantee that if you asked an experienced drummer sitting behind a drumset or standing behind a snare drum to play a drum roll, they would play a closed roll (or at least I would hope so).

/rant off

So, I don't really know what I was trying to accomplish by writing this... I suppose it's just a pet peeve of mine. Any other drummers out there care to agree or disagree?
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswsii wrote:

Edit: Okay I wasn't trying to be harsh or anything, so I'll clear this up before I get any retaliation. Thank you for providing some insight on what is technically a drum roll due to your sources. It is valuable information for anyone that does not know a lot about drums and the techniques used. I was merely pointing out the other side of the information.

Lol, my bad... I've never taken that song into practice mode. gg Harmonix.

LOSTin2007 wrote:
Both the open roll and closed roll are still considered "rolls" though right, and we are playing on the drums, so wouldn't they BOTH be considered "drum rolls"... it's just that there's one type of drum roll we don't use in the game??

Yes, technically that's correct (as I stated in my OP), but it's just not practical - hence my not exactly sure what the point of me posting this was besides my ranting.

Again:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: