FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
When scoretracking begins ... DLC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: When scoretracking begins ... DLC? Reply with quote

I'm sure the coding and issues behind trying to get the score tracking up for Rock Band is already a nightmare.
There's three times as many scores to keep track or - or four if you decide to put in full-fledged Bass support.
The last think you need is nimrods like me coming up with things to make it even MORE complicated.

But I was thinking it might be nice to be able to track TWO different overall ranks for Rock Band -
one for the straight songs available from the get-go, and a second for either DLC only, or all songs including DLC.

It's not fair to include them in the "main" overall ranking, since only a few people could actually AFFORD all of it.
But by early 2008, once a full album or two gets released, there might actually be MORE DLC songs than default songs.
It'd be a shame to ignore all that content.

And i'm sure Harmonix would appreciate it - anything to promote downloading the new material means more money for them.

Again, I know you have a bazillion other things more important to worry about than that at the moment.
But it's a potential "something to do" thought in your copious spare time.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about this, and your conclusion is pretty much what we will have.

As usual there will be tiers and tier rankings in additional to the overall ranks. The main tiers on SH will be the ones based on difficulty as that is most logical for ranking purposes (not alphabetically, by decade, by genre, etc..), and since (I believe) DLC is integrated into the tour system, the DLC songs in-game are also placed into these same tiers. So I have a decision in whether to portray that similarly on SH within the main tiers (flagging DLC songs to exclude from the usual tier totals), or to create a new tier for all DLC. Making a single DLC tier would inherently setup a 2nd overall total as you mention so that might be best. Then to give more attention to the DLC tier rank, I could display that up in the overall summary box as well. But it would also be nice to have some organization and grouping within the massive growing "DLC tier", so we'll see.

My final plans for DLC with RB aren't finalized yet and when I open score-tracking there initially won't be support for DLC, but these are my thoughts so far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In solo tour, at least, DLC is not integrated into the main playlist.

It's kept seperate.

The only thing it adds to, I believe, is overall score.
Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly. Then it'll be, "Well, maybe I can press the pedal with my forehead..." I'd be in a full-body cast at that rate. I can just see myself all wrapped up on a hospital bed in the dark. "I'm...a...high...way...star..." *sniffle*
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
My final plans for DLC with RB aren't finalized yet and when I open score-tracking there initially won't be support for DLC, but these are my thoughts so far.

Nodnod. Makes sense.
It'd just be too overwhelming - especially if you decided to go the extra mile and group the DLC by its in-game tiers.
Might even need its own sub-category, so you'd select system, then instrument, then Default/DLC, and finally difficulty.

... of course, that means if Bass Tracking was included, SIXTY FOUR different lists of scores would have to exist!
(2 Systems, 4 Instruments, 2 Song Groupings, 4 Difficulties.)

So ... yeah. No rush on that.

At the same time, Kataris is right.
While the songs are grouped by difficulty in Free Play, those difficulties are strangely absent in Solo Tour -
the songs are listed alphabetically, in that annoying "scroll to the end of the song list" method from Guitar Hero II 360.
(And I don't even think they add to your overall Band High Score.)

They ARE in a separate 'tab' that you select, at least, but it should be at the TOP.
Not below the 45 default songs and the bonus 'tab'.
That's 5 seconds of my life I waste scrolling past those every time.
ViPeR6  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah really, how is SH gonna keep updated? GH2 didnt have too much DLC to update, maybe 5 or 6 total, but RB is gonna have new DLC alot, and like every few days (from what ive seen). It certaintly won't be easy keeping up with all the releases.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my prediction of what score-tracking will look like for Rock Band:

What do you guys think? =3

Edit: K, fixed the image, lulz.

Edit 2: Further modifications. B)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think that will quite work because say it a band with only 1 person playing guitar and another person playing drums so only a 2 man band... versus a full band...
Koushiro  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the points differentiate if there are less people playing [i.e. instead of going through the song with all 3 instruments and getting 340,000 pts, you go through the song without the vocals and get maybe 260,000]. Or do you always get the same amount of points, with or without the 3rd instrument? It'd only make sense that Full Band means exactly what it says... 'full band'. And if you were to place scores for only a 2-man band, your score would be significantly lower than the full band in theory, correct?

Edit: The points were assuming that those would be optimal scores for the band type being either 2 or a full band.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can see where u are coming from..... but i think that it might send a slightly clearer message to those entering scores if while keeping the bass, guitar, vocal, drums, and full band tabs.. maybe add a 2 and 3 man band tabs too....
Tell me what u think....
muna  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For GH, DLC doesn't affect your overall rank, but it is on the same list. I expect the same deal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar/ Bass/ Drums/ Vocals/ Band

[] Guitar Percent: ___________
[] Bass Percent: ___________
[] Vocals Percent: ___________
[] Drums Percent: ___________

Score: _____________
Stars: _____________

I’m not to good with formatting but I’m sure you can get the general idea of what I mean…

P.S: The []'s would be a check box.... and depending on how many they check off thats depends on what band category the score would be entered i.e. 2 person band, 3 person band, Full band
guitaroverlord82  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: ok.. Reply with quote

well I think you both have good ideas
Phr34k  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are supporting all combinations of all people on all difficulties. This is the main reason why the rankings are taking so long to get up, cause if you do the math.... thats a lot of combinations to consider. (225 if you are curious enough)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
Sully  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phr34k wrote:
We are supporting all combinations of all people on all difficulties. This is the main reason why the rankings are taking so long to get up, cause if you do the math.... thats a lot of combinations to consider. (225 if you are curious enough)

Interesting. Exhaustive, but necessary? For many combinations, there might be no scores ever submitted. For most combinations, I foresee very few scores submitted. Will there be an overall leaderboard regardless of difficulty/members or will you only be able to compare your band's scores with bands with the same members on the same difficulties? And will it be similar to GH multiplayer as far as how many band lineups you can track scores for? GH co-op generally sees people playing with the same friend but RB lineups can vary greatly since you're dealing with up to 4 members.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
Slowhand  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me in the don't need every possible combination category. I've already got several bands going and even within those sometimes it's only 2 players, sometimes 3 or 4. I haven't even been logging band scores yet because they vary so much. SO good luck with a logical way of inputting all this. I would be content with just one set of scores per band like the GH site. Yes the 4 player ex-ex-ex-ex group would rule. And they probably should. Just my opinion.

And let's see... new DLC every 2 weeks or so.........egads that's alot of upkeep. When's the next donation drive gonna be as the site grows to 1.5 million by June 08.

Now I'll sit back and patiently wait for the site to crash when we finally get to upload scores and 80,000 players upload at once. Kinda like everyone in New York flushing the toliet at the same time. We can drown China like that right?
Vocal Stylings for Throat Punch
PSN - jaypen123
GH3 and RB community - Slowhand123
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: