FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Won't Get Fooled Again (and to a lesser extent Next to You)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leveticus  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Won't Get Fooled Again (and to a lesser extent Next to You) Reply with quote

I've been lurking around these new RB forums for a bit, because I own a PS2, and I'm quite interested in picking up RB for PS2 when it comes out. Drums are especially lucrative. I've never played a percussion instrument in my life, and it just looks s'damn fun.

I've heard and seen a lot about Run to The Hills, Tom Sawyer, and the Metallica tracks being the end all be all of Expert drums, and they look tastily difficult.

However, I've heard that Won't get fooled again and Next to you are both in the last tier for drums, but have heard little about how difficult they really are.

Are they just overhyped? I would imagine Keith Moon's drumming would be crazy hard, but it seems to be getting overshadowed by Tom Sawyer and Run to the Hills, the former of which doesnt seem all that hard (RttH looks nuts however).
Owls - Owls
halcyonryu  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Sawyer is just really syncopated. Beats happen when you don't seem to expect, if you don't know the drum sounds for the song already.

I think that the hardest ones are Won't Get Fooled Again and Next to You. Next to You is just impossibly difficult imo.
sevin  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Won't Get Fooled Again is ridiculously hard--several solos, and you never know when you're gonna have to hit the bass drum. But other people have scored almost 100k higher than me on that one.

On the other hand, I don't think Tom Sawyer is very hard at all, but other people seem to have a lot of trouble with it.

So I guess it depends on the person...but I think most of us will agree that Run to the Hills is a bitch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Wont Get Fooled Again is easier than RTTH by a long shot.

Then again, I also believe RTTH on hard is harder than on expert if you have endurance.

Next To You should have been the final song. Its one of the few that we couldnt pass because I couldnt drum it. It is seriously fuckin insane.... I first heard the song and was like lol police thisll be easy, but then I thought well lets listen to the dru.... oh fuck.

Ya, Next to You is hard.

GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yusuke wrote:
I first heard the song and was like lol police thisll be easy

You've obviously never heard of Stewart Copeland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_Copeland
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
CowShark  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only playing on hard, but here are my thoughts:

Run to the Hills is more "groove based' than Won't Get Fooled Again. Sure, it's fast and has lots of beats, but once you get locked in on the repeating sections, it becomes very beatable. Won't Get Fooled Again is chaotic, doesn't have long groove sections, doesn't repeat itself much, and it feels like you're using more of your kit than any other song in the game.
Fedora  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy above me is correct.

Next to you on hard is kind of like the "semester final" on what you learned about two-hand-and-foot independence. The opening section is impossibly difficult if you cant get your left arm to jump pad to pad on every downbeat, and the bass pedal is struck on the upbeat.

It's hard.

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
anonymous_103  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Cliff  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepbluevibes wrote:
run to the hills should honestly be in like, the 4th tier. it's not stamina draining and it's not hard technically whatsoever.

LOLOLOLOL

Look, we're not all experienced dummers. I think I'm doing pretty fucking good, making it to the 7th tier expert drums with no drumming experience whatsoever. But no, RttH should NOT be that low. I can do the intro no problem, but the rest of the song is just too goddamn fast for me to play at all.

And, to the OP, the Metallica song is a drumming joke. It doesn't belong in the 8th or 9th tier, it should be much lower (5th, maybe?). It's easy for most of the song, and tries to trip you up at the end, but nothing too bad.

I can pass Tom Sawyer, but RttH gets me fast, as does next to you. Depending on SP usage, I can get fairly far into Won't Get Fooled Again, but not a pass (yet). Right now, I'm stuck on #$%@ Fall Out Boy.
m4tth4x  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think Won't Get Fooled Again is harder than RTTH because of it's irregularity. If you have stamina and can keep a fast consistent beat going RTTH isn't so bad. Tom Saywer is way easier than I thought it was going to be based on all the hype, but it's still fairly challenging, and VERY fun.

Drum Goals-

Get 1st place on a song [X] (Even the Losers and Here Comes My Girl (Live))

Guitar Goals -

FC Chinease Democracy [ ]
FC Godzilla [X]
FC Chrion [-1]
FC Mud On The Tires [X]
FC Tripolette [-2]

Add me on XBL if you wanna play RB/GH
LongSockSilver  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RttH
Next to You
WGFA
Flirtin' With Disaster
Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer is nothing if you have a strong right arm. DFTR could take it's place in the last tier IMO. Next to You is fucking ridiculous. Kick pedal on offbeats, and it's just very fast and difficult to keep up with.

<smokyprogg> I fced Mother before Cherry Pie
<dho> I FCeD YOUR MOTHER BEFORE I ATE HER CHERRY PIE
Shortmann  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought RttH was a lot easier on Expert than on Hard mode. I kept failing on Hard, but passed it first try on Expert, but then again, I've been playing drums for 15 years, so I've got pretty strong wrist muscles.l

I cannot beat WGFA, I die every time at 70%...or at the beginning of the solo after the long pause. It's just so chaotic and hard. Tom Sawyer was pretty easy for me because it is semi predictable if you can know the song well enough. The bass hits are at odd times, but if your reflexes are good, it's not that bad because they are rarely on notes when your not hitting another drum.

Flirting with Disaster....that should not have been final tier material, that was ridiculously easy. But Next To You....whoa. Amazingly enough, I passed a sight read on Expert, I have no clue how, but it was definatley by the skin of my teeth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: