FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
drum bubbling problem -- fix with MORE BETTER pictures
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: drum bubbling problem -- fix with MORE BETTER pictures Reply with quote

First RB1 set: Red Roll problem.
Second RB1 set: dropped notes
Third RB1 set: fine for a while; started dropping notes later
First RB2 set: Blue pad crosstalk
Second RB2 set: dropped notes
Current RB2 set: THE GODDAMN RUBBER IS SEPARATING FROM THE GODDAMN PADS.

And they won't replace it because I'm outside the 60-day window. I tried epoxy. No good. I'm thinking of just ripping off the rubber and playing without it but it'll kill the bounce. Do other people have this problem, or is it just me? Should I bite the bullet and get an ION?

EDIT: I've got a fix for this. It is destructive, so if you can RMA then do that first. The text of the fix is about midway down this page, with pictures on the last post of this page. EDIT EDIT: More pictures of the whole process on the second page.

Last edited by rrwoods on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Kap10  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem on my red pad, also happened to one of my RB1 kits.

Either pull off the pad and stretch the rubber more (trimming excess) or just play with it the way it is. It should still register with RB2 kits, as they are more sensitive.
{17:33:42} <Rexisfed> yewb had sex with a man
{17:33:42} <Yewb> ^
{17:33:44} <Yewb> wait
{17:33:45} <Yewb> NO

H2O Kappaten, PMS|H2O L4D ST Leader
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: H2O Kappaten
TNTX  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwoods tiem?
Look no further!

BNSClub.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Zero0920
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and pulled off the rubber; no bounce as I thought. I've trimmed off the outer edge, and now the rubber piece fits over the pad without going underneath the ring. Any ideas for flattening it out and getting it to stay on the pad?

I've thought about Goodwoods... but if I'm going to buy another set, it's going to be an ION.
eXcelon969  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take the pad off and then reglue it, also get those skull stickers (i know i know...) and put them on top.

my pads bubbled too but the stickers help them stay flat, as they cant stretch out the stickers

(green is done now)

dont get the ion. it's a piece of $300 shit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eXcelon969 wrote:

Huh, what?

I just got it and I love it.
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what to
eXcelon969 wrote:
reglue it
with. Epoxy doesn't bond with rubber very well. What did you use?
kevnin  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always just replace it a gum rubber pad or something. didn't people love those back in the days of rb1?
FinalSunrise  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterGibbons316 wrote:
eXcelon969 wrote:

Huh, what?

I just got it and I love it.

yea, dont worry someones jealous cuz they dont have one
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely got the fix for the "bubbling" problem. As I thought, it isn't actually bubbling; it's just stretching.

First of all: This fix is destructive; RMA your pads if at all possible. After you do this, you probably won't be able to RMA them anymore.

For starters, the pads will still mostly play just fine, so continue to play. Once the rubber stretches to the point where it slips out from under the outer ring, take the rubber all the way off. Get some sharp scissors, and trim off about a quarter inch from the outside of the rubber. If you lay the rubber back on the pad and mash it down with your hand, it should come almost to the outer ring but not quite.

Using the same sharp scissors, make cuts from the outer edge about halfway into the center. Piccie: http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/rubbercuts.png EDIT: Look at the last post on this page for better pictures (they are of the finished fix; I'll be putting up pictures of the process when I fix my blue pad tonight) This should enable you to lay the rubber flat again. If it still bubbles up a little in the middle, cut a little further and try again; do this until it works. You might just have to cut the rubber into four pieces XD

Lay the cut rubber over the pad, centered. Put some duct tape through each cut, so that one side is on the rubber and the other side is on the pad. I used a rotating pattern. If you cut it all the way to the middle and made four pieces, you should have enough room to get two pieces into each cut to hold the rubber down securely.

Do all this and it should play like new! And all you need is duct tape :-D

Last edited by rrwoods on Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
MexiLow  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eXcelon969 wrote:
take the pad off and then reglue it, also get those skull stickers (i know i know...) and put them on top.

my pads bubbled too but the stickers help them stay flat, as they cant stretch out the stickers

(green is done now)

Wrong. I had stickers on all of mine, and they continued to stretch. Eventually the yellow one just ripped. And the red sticker seemed to be doing more harm than good.
The way I keep my red pads from bubbling is this: I took off the head, unscrewed the rim. Got a bandanna and folded it so it would fit between the screws, placed it across the head. Screw the rim back on. Put the head back on. Pull the parts of the bandanna that are sticking out until you get them as tight as you can, then tie a knot on the underside. It works pretty swell.
Adsee  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrwoods wrote:
I've definitely got the fix for the "bubbling" problem. As I thought, it isn't actually bubbling; it's just stretching.

First of all: This fix is destructive; RMA your pads if at all possible. After you do this, you probably won't be able to RMA them anymore.

For starters, the pads will still mostly play just fine, so continue to play. Once the rubber stretches to the point where it slips out from under the outer ring, take the rubber all the way off. Get some sharp scissors, and trim off about a quarter inch from the outside of the rubber. If you lay the rubber back on the pad and mash it down with your hand, it should come almost to the outer ring but not quite.

Using the same sharp scissors, make cuts from the outer edge about halfway into the center. Piccie: http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/rubbercuts.png This should enable you to lay the rubber flat again. If it still bubbles up a little in the middle, cut a little further and try again; do this until it works. You might just have to cut the rubber into four pieces XD

Lay the cut rubber over the pad, centered. Put some duct tape through each cut, so that one side is on the rubber and the other side is on the pad. I used a rotating pattern. If you cut it all the way to the middle and made four pieces, you should have enough room to get two pieces into each cut to hold the rubber down securely.

Do all this and it should play like new! And all you need is duct tape :-D

The pic shows two cuts in the rubber, should i be putting two or four, because you have mentioned that the rubber may have to be cut into four pieces, which would be impossible the way you have it cut in the pic. So what I am really saying is, two cuts or four?
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adsee wrote:
The pic shows two cuts in the rubber, should i be putting two or four, because you have mentioned that the rubber may have to be cut into four pieces, which would be impossible the way you have it cut in the pic. So what I am really saying is, two cuts or four?

Eh? Are you sure you're seeing the picture properly? The picture is bigger than I expected so you might need to click it to get your browser to display the whole thing.

EDIT: When I get a chance, I'll post a picture of the finished product. I'm about to do the same thing with my blue pad as it's starting to come up as well, and when I fix that one I'll take pictures of the whole process.
Adsee  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrwoods wrote:
Adsee wrote:

Eh? Are you sure you're seeing the picture properly? The picture is bigger than I expected so you might need to click it to get your browser to display the whole thing.

EDIT: When I get a chance, I'll post a picture of the finished product. I'm about to do the same thing with my blue pad as it's starting to come up as well, and when I fix that one I'll take pictures of the whole process.

Damn! It turns out I forgot to magnify the picture
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adsee wrote:
Damn! It turns out I forgot to magnify the picture

Haha, that's what I thought. No big deal ^_^

Here's pictures of the actual fix:

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/pad1.jpg
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/pad2.jpg

[ linked so 56k users aren't completely demolished; they're HUGE :-P ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: