FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Better Retirement Than You --v : 151,138,668 points
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Better Retirement Than You --v : 151,138,668 points Reply with quote

Our Scores
84 songs played
51 Cross-platform firsts
58 Xbox firsts
57 firsts on the Xbox Live leaderboards (should really be 63, but we had one great session where none of our scores appeared).

Our banner :-)

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168937 <-- blob's post about it on the official Rock Band forums (hey, gotta make it official!)
http://forums.xbox.com/29489379/ShowPost.aspx <-- BowlZ's post about it on the Xbox forums (BowlZ and I used to spend more time there, we found Barre Exam's bassist there as well :-) ).

10/14/2009
Well, all things come to an end, even good things, and it's finally time to put Better Than You --v to rest. Thanks to everyone who's supported us, even just by making a short appearance in the streams we've done for the last couple weeks. It's been fun to see people appear from several different bands and encourage us to reach new heights. This has been a test of what one band can do if they have the skill, coordination and dedication to be truly great. In the end we had:
151138668 career points
58 xbox firsts on scorehero
51 cross-platform firsts on scorehero (as far as I know)
12 "almost-firsts" (songs where our score is within 5k points of the top score)
8 "barely-firsts" (songs where we took first place by less than 5k points)
8 "big firsts" (songs where we're first place by over 50k points)
A 1.5 million point lead on the top scores posted by other scorehero bands on xbox
A 785k point lead on the top scores posted by other scorehero bands cross-platform
We've pushed the community total score to 151.8 million (who will push it to 152?)
We've exceeded our path target score on 39 songs - one of the big reasons it's so hard to beat us :-) On our last song tonight, I drew attention to some of the squeezing I do on vocals to make those above-target scores not only possible, but typical (incidentally, our last song - Pump It Up - is a great song to practice backwards squeezing on vocals :-) ).

Perhaps you'll see a successor to Better Than You --v for the next major game release. Until then...

10/7/2009
Well, I've never been in a band before that finished the setlist, and so this was my first time doing a full band session where we got to go back and redo all those songs that we just couldn't get right before, or ran out of time, or used the wrong path, or whatever. Considering the band was already ahead of the rest of scorehero on total score and had first place cross-platform on over half of the songs, one would think there wouldn't be many more points to get, but one would be wrong. Granted, tonight we did the songs with the most new points available to us, and the going may be getting slower soon, but regardless, I was amazed at how many points we could put up in one night of redos:

Shoulder to the Plow - When we first played this, I think it was our first really hard non-league song. We wanted to take a break from playing easier songs where we kept expecting ourselves to be perfect, and it was getting frustrating. After BowlZ and I looked over the path and we started, blob said "this isn't pathed, right?" n00b. Since then, he's learned that it's ALWAYS pathed :-) Our first run was decent, but somehow chidori was just not in sync with us. I'm not really sure why or how, it was like he just started the song about 4 or 5 seconds before us and was always activating earlier than it seemed like he should and stuff. After that, though, we had a great run - only guitar miss was right at the end of the all-important "odd riff" section, bass and vocals FCed. BowlZ missed an OD phrase near the end, which is the only real important miss we had, and we went from 120k points behind first to 120k points ahead of first. We tried a couple times to have that same run but without the missed drum OD near the end, but it wasn't happening.

Down With The Sickness - When we played this before, it just wasn't working out for us. Somehow we kept missing stuff that we knew we could hit, even after several tries. This time, it took two tries - the first had a single miss on drums under overdrive (and an intentional vocals miss), and the other was pretty much perfect. We took first place (and the old first place score was REALLY good, too), and added 50k to our total.

Colony of Birchmen - Last time we played this, chidori was just having a way harder time than he should have, and we just ran out of time and never came back to it. Now that we did come back to it, we ended up with one miss in the solo on guitar and one miss (I think it was near the beginning?) on drums. I also had a minor path mistake, but I don't think it's one that makes a huge scoring difference. We got a new first, and pulled in a 95k increase in score.

Souls of Black - Last time we played this, it was the first round of season 10 of leagues, and somehow, I didn't see an obvious and important tweak for the best path, and therefore we used a completely different path. A couple bands beat us at the time, and maybe one or two more have since then. The run we had tonight wasn't really significantly better than we had then, it was about the same - perfect except one miss in the solo (this isn't to say that chidori doesn't FC this solo pretty regularly, he just keeps getting unlucky when the rest of us have a good run). But it was with a better path, and probably with better squeezes on my side, and we got 45k more points than we had before (and first!).

Night Lies - This one is dedicated to the fine people in Going For First, who were nice enough to share their path to me when I didn't even ask, after their score on the song boggled my mind. We had a good run on this before, I just didn't figure out the right path before we did it. With their path, we beat their score and grabbed 50k more points for ourselves. However, it didn't come easy. In the process of writing up the new path, I forgot to fix the notation for the drum path, and when I checked it after our first run was completely off, I gave the wrong number of skips (I included the fill that should be activated ) on a couple of the activations. Definitely a problem with having to tell BowlZ his path because he couldn't connect his computer and his Xbox to the internet simultaneously As a result, BowlZ did 4 or 5 different paths on this song before we finally got it right. Sorry, BowlZ :-D

And the results:
half a million more points (150.9 million total points)!
5 new firsts (48 total cross-platform firsts, 54 Xbox firsts)!
First place on 8/12 final-tier songs!

I never would have guessed we'd come up on 151 million so quickly - there's even a chance we could do it next week! See you then :-)

10/6/2009
Thanks to all those who came and watched our stream tonight! It was fun and exciting to see some closure in the effort that we started as a band nearly a year ago (more than a year ago, if you consider that I started pathing before we had even found all the members of the band :-) ), as we finally played that 84th song and became the first band to reach 150 million total points on the RB2 disc songs. And we didn't just reach it, we clobbered it, finishing with over 150.4 million points. Tomorrow we'll start looking at the list of songs we need to redo that we've built up over time (let me know if anyone would still be particularly interested in a fun, but probably less historically significant stream tomorrow).

Today's breakdown:
Shooting Star - once we got done making the stream work (seriously, it was working before we started, all I did was change which side of my computer the audio source was plugged into), we played Shooting Star. Vocals and bass FCed (as always, virtual high five to blob), drums got one of those overhit-before-the-BRE 99%-FCs, and I think guitar was -1. Miss or no miss, though, we took first by a healthy 20k points (and 30k points on Xbox).

One Way Or Another - No, I didn't hit the stupid talky tonight. The rest of the band FCed it, and we pulled in a score that was exactly 175 points behind the first place score held by The Gavinners, making it the 11th song they've beaten us on .

A Jagged Gorgeous Winter - We got first on Xbox by 38k, but fell short of Drive Shaft's amazing first place score on PS3.

Visions - We really weren't going to do Visions tonight, but with everyone there, it seemed only right that we should give it a shot. We needed only about 1.24 million (not even gold stars) to reach 150 million points overall. We managed 1.64 million, putting us in 4th place on the song, and first place on the tier by a pretty big margin.

And now for some fun screenshots while I was entering score.

First, the full band Xbox leaderboard after submitting just the Shooting Star score:

Next, the full band Xbox leaderboard after submitting all four new scores:

And finally, our summary box from our scores page:

Thanks again to all who came!

9/29/2009 - 4 new cross-platform firsts!
Today we worked on the third tier, and finished 4 of the 7 songs we had left there, getting first place on each one:
White Wedding (Part 1): First on Xbox by 19k, first cross-platform by 11k, about 15 notes away from an FBFC at the end
Psycho Killer: I knew we were going to be getting a big first on this song, and we ended up first on Xbox by over 50k, and first cross-platform by over 40k.
De-Luxe: There just aren't that many more points in this song, but somehow we managed to FBFC it and edge out the top score by 2000 points. Took a few tries to get it, though.
Give it Away: We had a couple n00b runs (seriously, I was missing 2 phrases each time), but then almost everything came together (except the solo 2 FC - chidori missed one of those little trills pretty much entirely). In spite of that, we grabbed first by 25k :-)

Sadly, none of our scores from the last session made it up to the XBL leaderboards. This week's scores have already started to appear, and it's never been a problem before, but it sucks that 7 big first-place-worthy scores won't appear on RockBandStats.com or keldon.net. Oh, well. And, more numbers:

4 songs left!
143183362 career score (this puts us in 3rd place on Xbox and 5th place overall, one more song (any of the ones we have left except A Jagged Gorgeous Winter I guess?) will get us ahead of everyone except Psychodelic Byrds.
42 cross-platform firsts - that's half the setlist already!
915480 score margin over all other scores on scorehero for Xbox
363810 score margin over all other scores on scorehero on any platform
11 firsts in a row over the last couple weeks, 17 firsts in our last 18 scores.

Next week, I expect we'll finish the 3rd tier, going for first overall. Then redo some of our less stellar scores (SttP, DWTS and CoB, for example), and put Visions off to another day.

9/15/2009 - The Countdown
Tonight was definitely one of the most productive sessions we've ever had. Things just seemed to be going our way. Here's a summary of our session in descending order:
10 second-tier firsts - Finished the tier and only failed to be on top on two songs, by a grand total of about 11k points.
9:00 (Pacific Time) start - And everyone was on Xbox Live at that time, amazingly enough.
8 songs left to play. 7 of those are in the 3rd tier, and the last is Visions. Home stretch!
7 firsts tonight - out of 7 songs played - Battery was the first, then we did the half of the second tier we hadn't played before in order (Today, That's What You Get, Spirit in the Sky, We Got the Beat, New Kid in School and Welcome to the Neighborhood)
6 xplat firsts - All of the above except We Got the Beat. 10% of the time, Interrobang will beat us every time.
5th place on scorehero for Xbox 360 full bands, with 8 songs left to play.
4 FBFCs - Today, Spirit in the Sky, We Got the Beat and New Kid in School. Also, 4x100% on That's What You Get.
3 hours - It was almost eerie - everyone was online and (relatively) ready at the appointed time, and we didn't spend an hour arguing with the internet like last week.
2nd place on last tier - On Xbox at least. Didn't expect that at all - we haven't played Visions yet. If we 4-star Visions, we'll be first on Xbox on the tier, and if we 5-star it, we'll be first on the tier cross-platform.
1st place on 2nd tier - We finished the 2nd tier, and we're first overall on it, just like the 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th tiers.

The next big step is to finish the 3rd tier, and finally, play Visions. We haven't actually completely decided what difficulty levels to play Visions on yet :-p

My Personal Favorite Old Accomplishment

chidori's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mwgOvvIU4k (I was going to upload one, but I ended up having lag in my recording all over the place )

----

Well, I suppose it's tradition when forming a band to start an accomplishment thread whether or not you've really accomplished anything of note. Therefore I bring you:

Better Than You --v

The new RB2 band consisting of (in alphabetical order, so I don't have to think of another justification for an ordering):

blob on Bass
BowlZ on Drums
chidori on Guitar
Kawigi on Vocals

And, of course, I will primarily be working out our paths, as well.

This band is so named because we plan on being better than everyone below us. Also because you will be below us. Or at least we like to think that :-)

Feel free to comment on the epicosity, haxitude or awesomeicity of this band.[url][/url]

Last edited by Kawigi on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:46 am; edited 61 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
duka08  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit....
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If experience has taught BowlZ and me anything, it's that no band is final until you verify that you can play a session together in which no one drops, everyone can hear each other and unison bonuses don't get lost due to lag. With BowlZ or blob hosting, we could never seem to get blob and I into the game at the same time. That didn't really seem like a good sign, but we tried what every band tries that never works and had chidori host. Miraculously, we all joined and had a fine session from that point on.

Victory #1!

Next, we picked a few songs to play (hey, being able to all be in the game only does so much good if we disconnect before finishing a song, right?) We FBFCed Nine in the Afternoon, got a score good enough for an X360 first (nothing compared to those top PS3 bands, though) on Go Your Own Way, had mediocre runs on a few other songs.

Victory #2!

So I guess the only particularly worthwhile picture to post is this one, which shows that we got a not-terrible-for-on-the-fly-pathing score on go Your Own Way, and that blob needs to learn how to turn off his flash:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u295/blobzorz/IMG_0056-1.jpg
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists

Last edited by Kawigi on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:08 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe our connection test netted us a certain 1st place already!

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
nbrazzx55  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cocky much??? >__________>
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better Than Us!? Thou issue this challenge upon our shit!?

I have no idea what I just said.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbrazzx55 wrote:
cocky much??? >__________>

More that we thought it'd be amusing to have "Better Than You --v" on the leaderboards, in particular if the "arrow" points at a band we only beat by 300 points or something :-D
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

except of course when it comes to bird is the word.

then yes

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
raunch99  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have gone for "Better Than --v But Not --^" Of course if you were in first place I guess that wouldn't make as much sense. Good luck with the new band.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raunch99 wrote:
Of course if you were in first place I guess that wouldn't make as much sense. Good luck with the new band.

I'm 99.99999999% sure that was the point...

Also, you guys need to enter the league.

Kawigi  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaserEyess wrote:
raunch99 wrote:
Of course if you were in first place I guess that wouldn't make as much sense. Good luck with the new band.

I'm 99.99999999% sure that was the point...

Also, you guys need to enter the league.

One step ahead of you :-)
Foozball  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope yall get last just because of your dumb name. :p but really. i do. btw every member in this band is super cool and super good...except for bowlz...
jk bowlz u ight
beingmused  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true, you guys are way better than the PS2 expert drums rivalry.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: beingmused
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, time for a real accomplishment!

I've never been in a band before that I could plan a successful session with just about 4 hours notice, but that's what we did tonight. The focus of the evening was the Euro Launch Battle - a convenient excuse to path Come Out and Play for the win. If you want to beat us and force me to admit that our band name isn't as clever as we think, you have 20 hours to do so:

Since we had a little more time before chidori turned into a pumpkin, I spread around another path verbally (I've worked out paths for several songs already, but haven't really written them up in a way that real humans can understand), and we did this:

I believe both scores are currently cross-platform firsts. Expect a few more of these as leagues get started and BTY gets serious :-)
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a whole FIVE places ahead of rock flag and eagle. that band is awful... must be the front man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Accomplishments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: