FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drum Pad Fix [Expanding with Research]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After removing the pad, I see that there is no plug to be found at all, just a sodered-on wire connecting the pad to the actual drum part.

Unless I got a different model or I didn't take of the right part, this was completely worthless for me. Also, the little peg things that did come out in the process of removing the pad are impossible to get back in, all right!

(btw, the inside of the drum looks nothing like the pics posted, no red wires or plugs or anything)
Kais  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, I fucked with the green drum now because one of the trapezoids doesn't go in all the way, and it makes the pad stick out a little. Still works like a charm though. Ah well, for science~

PS: Apollo, Stove By a Whale is awesome
Apollo  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheaaaaaaaaaa alright

p.s Any suggestions for my above post ^^
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any fix for you Apollo, but I think it would be helpful if you could take some pictures of your drumset (Insides and whatnot), so folks can get an idea of what it actually looks like.

Oh snap son | Finalizer's Custom charts | Attention Internet: Before you use the word "Awesome", consider using this first.
joshtbuff  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wire is out then why doesnt the drum bad never register a signal instead of only if it is too hard? Why can soft taps be recognized but hard rolls cannot?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshtbuff wrote:
If the wire is out then why doesnt the drum bad never register a signal instead of only if it is too hard? Why can soft taps be recognized but hard rolls cannot?

It's that the wire is kind of in the port that does it. Enough force, or a few hits make it work a bit, but not a roll.

Apollo: Your drum might be the newer model, because a soldered wire holds up better in shipping, which is why the older ones are sometimes broken out of the box, or break after a bit of use. I'd recommend trying to solder it back into place, or just have EA replace it.

Free IQ Test Score
My Solo Guitar / Vocals BWT: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3058
Rock Band Goals:
[_] Get all the "Big In X" achievements
[_] Amass 6 billion fans in my solo BWT
BJMarch58  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the hits actually being registered? I don't have Rock Band yet, but I'm already planning ahead for fixes or modifications. I have a Yamaha digital drum set that I might use...take the stronger Yamaha pads and stick them on the Rock Band kit. They'll take a lot more abuse than plastic.

But is there just a little accelerometer in each pad? Or is it an actual button that's being pressed? If it's an accelerometer that would make my mod cake, and the kit would last forever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, they're like DDR pads, when you push down on it, two metal pieces touch, and electricity travels down the wire, through the port, to the game. The two metal pieces might be in the top cover of the pad.

Free IQ Test Score
My Solo Guitar / Vocals BWT: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3058
Rock Band Goals:
BobDole  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they're like that since I can put my hand on one of the drums very lightly and push down and the it will not register. You have to actually HIT the pad, you can't just touch it lightly.

Dash275  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal sheets could be so far apart that a good amount of force would be needed to bend the pad in to touch the two sheets.

Or I could be entirely wrong about the DDR pad theory.
That may be it.

Free IQ Test Score
Rock Band Goals:
BobDole  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can just lightly lay my hand on the pad and push it all the way down, slowly, and it won't register. But if I hit the pad with a small amount of force it will register even though the pad doesn't go down that much. I think its an accelerometer like BJMarch58 said.

BJMarch58  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further down the road (after December 18th) when I get Rock Band, I will gladly post pictures of any mods I do. I'm a hard-hitting drummer IRL so I'm assuming I'll need to open up the pads soon enough. If it IS an accelerometer then you can pretty much attach them to any surface more durable than plastic.

I tried the drums for the first time at Best Buy just a couple days ago and the 2nd pad was already destroyed (before I got there lol). I'm guessing a lot of these problems are just durability standards that the developers underestimated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to add my "It only feels like it is going to break" tip to the OP, its in my post on page 1
dho  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dash275 wrote:
I've heard the drum sticks don't give away revision number, but the insides obviously do. You, Kais, may have the newer one, because it isn't broken.

So can we infer that the older models have this system where the insides are easier to mess around with?

I have the newer model with that orange trapezoidal piece, but the yellow pad still requires more force to register a hit. I'd prefer to send this back to EA for a fix but if there are other ideas for a fix that I can try first, I'd prefer that. I'm not quite sure how the original post fix would apply to my version.

--dho
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: dhobsd ICQ Number
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dho wrote:

I have the newer model with that orange trapezoidal piece, but the yellow pad still requires more force to register a hit. I'd prefer to send this back to EA for a fix but if there are other ideas for a fix that I can try first, I'd prefer that. I'm not quite sure how the original post fix would apply to my version.

--dho

From what I understand, make sure the screws are tight on the orange piece. Someone on the official Rock Band forums said it worked for him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: