FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How vocal overdrive works! Very importaint for OD usage!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRidGE  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: How vocal overdrive works! Very importaint for OD usage! Reply with quote

I thought that the game gave you the score for each phrase at the end, and if your overdrive multiplier ran out before then end, you only got the X4 (or whatever) for the combo.

God was I WRONG!

If you watch my Learn To Fly Video from 1:15 to 1:31, you'll see that I'm in overdrive, but it runs out just before the end of a phrase. The phrase before gave me a score of 58000, and after the phrase where my overdrive ran out, I had 65504.

65504-58000=7504

THE OVERDRIVE COUNTED ON THE NOTES I HAD SUNG UNDER IT EVEN THOUGH IT DIDN'T LAST TILL THE END OF THE PHRASE! Even though the score doesn't post till the end of the phrase, you do still get the overdrive bonus if it runs out early!

It still means that you want to use your overdrive in very short phrases, but it also means that it's most useful when it drains towards the end of a short phrase, because you have your best chance to get the max % of the phrase quickly in short phrases.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: the oRidGEinal Wii Friend Code: 4504280527441862
freebones  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank for finding this out this is indeed very vital for oprimal OD usage. good job

[X] 5* all career songs on expert (Raining Blood)
[ ] get harmonix to make an avenged sevenfold pack availible
[X] get around to completeing vocals on hard
Zephyron  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't an issue for Vocal solo but when you're playing with instruments and they activate it in the middle of one of your phrases it does the same kind of thing, it grabs the portion of the phrase meter that you fill from the activation to the end of the phrase and multiplies that. The great thing is if you fill up the phrase meter early and then the overdrive ends you still get "full credit" for the multiplier.
metasynthie  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why a no-overdrive FC of a song is always a multiplier of 1000 right, but once you use overdrive the numbers get more granular?

Any idea how the scoring works for partial credit, like is it per word or per measure or per second?

It looks from your video like you got partial credit for the last word in the phrase, "night." And that your overdrive ended right at measure 52. So that suggests it's "per second," or that you get partial credit for half-finished words, which amounts to the same thing. You activated overdrive in measure 36, that lines up normally (16 phrases, you hit 4 overdrive phrases).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Metasynthie
Jansin  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metasynthie wrote:
This is why a no-overdrive FC of a song is always a multiplier of 1000 right, but once you use overdrive the numbers get more granular?

Assuming no percussion
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another interesting thign thats not poitns-related but its curious, is that the rock meter does award at the very end only. For example i play guitar/vocals in band tour with somebody who is 'uneven' on vocals expecially on hard or expert and on some songs. So often i have to try and save them to get them through a tough song. Ive noticed that if they are about to fail and they hit an 'awesome' phrase, then they get about +1/5th-1/4th of the rock meter back, but if they hit that awesome while star power (of any player in the band) is up you basically get a maxed out meter instantly. But it only checks right as it awards points. If somebody maxes out the phrase meter and you activate befor eit scores it, then the rock meter goes full - even though no part of the phrase meter was filled under the star power. So whenever i am playign with somebody on vocals who is not so good i use this to effectively 'save' them without them having to fail, if they are strugglign through a part but if i look up and see they have filled a phrase i quickly activate star power so that the rock meter boost applies to that phrase - its much better than activating before a phrase and then hoping the person will put in some good phrases, too often if the phrases are long, they might only get one or two under the activation (which is probably why you restore a full meter for an awesome with SP up). Obviously this is not helpful in solo (because a vocalist themselves can only activate betweeen phrases) play, but i thougth people might find it interesting.
Jansin  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
another interesting thign thats not poitns-related but its curious, is that the rock meter does award at the very end only. For example i play guitar/vocals in band tour with somebody who is 'uneven' on vocals expecially on hard or expert and on some songs. So often i have to try and save them to get them through a tough song. Ive noticed that if they are about to fail and they hit an 'awesome' phrase, then they get about +1/5th-1/4th of the rock meter back, but if they hit that awesome while star power (of any player in the band) is up you basically get a maxed out meter instantly. But it only checks right as it awards points. If somebody maxes out the phrase meter and you activate befor eit scores it, then the rock meter goes full - even though no part of the phrase meter was filled under the star power. So whenever i am playign with somebody on vocals who is not so good i use this to effectively 'save' them without them having to fail, if they are strugglign through a part but if i look up and see they have filled a phrase i quickly activate star power so that the rock meter boost applies to that phrase - its much better than activating before a phrase and then hoping the person will put in some good phrases, too often if the phrases are long, they might only get one or two under the activation (which is probably why you restore a full meter for an awesome with SP up). Obviously this is not helpful in solo (because a vocalist themselves can only activate betweeen phrases) play, but i thougth people might find it interesting.

I've noticed this as well. Luckily for my friends I don't really fail any songs :]

However when we were new at it this helped.
GuestWednesday  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metasynthie wrote:

Any idea how the scoring works for partial credit, like is it per word or per measure or per second?

I think it's per second, but only counted where there are notes, and it is split evenly across the whole phrase. I think the number of points available per second differs depending on the length of the notes in the phrase.

For example, a phrase with a few words then some silence then some more words seems to fill about half of the meter at the start and half at the end; the silence doesn't count for the "seconds". That's how the meter seems to work so I assume point distribution is similar since there is a maximum cut off for awesome rating.

So a one word phrase could give you 1000 points (times multiplier, or less in non-expert) in just one word. If your OD runs out halfway through the word then you only get double multiplier for half of the points. A split phrase like above would still give you double multiplier for about half of the points if the OD runs out in the silent part in the middle.
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually possible to get less than 1,000 pts for a phrase and still get an Awesome rating. I've seen it where I'll just barely land a phrase and I'll end up with like 25,996 pts or something.

To be more precise, in the phrases where your OD runs out, you get 2x the pts for how much of the disc was filled before OD ran out, not how far into the phrase it died out. That's why if your OD runs out early enough in a phrase before any singing, you only get 4,000 pts.
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
It's actually possible to get less than 1,000 pts for a phrase and still get an Awesome rating. I've seen it where I'll just barely land a phrase and I'll end up with like 25,996 pts or something.

I can vouch for this: there have definitely been times where I have gotten 997 points for a phrase despite still getting an "awesome". Happened to me a few times playing FP/LT.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
It's actually possible to get less than 1,000 pts for a phrase and still get an Awesome rating.

Lowest I've noticed is 993 points, so I'd guess the requirement is about 990 points (99%). Doesn't make a big difference to your score of course, since you still get the Awesome multiplier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: