FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RB2 EL/SL Drum Comparison (With Pictures)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plaguefox  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: RB2 EL/SL Drum Comparison (With Pictures) Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I purchased a Rock Band 2 Wireless Drum set from Circuit City. It was an “SL” set, according to the box.

Yesterday I received another via DeepDiscount several weeks after the initial order that I forgot to cancel. This set is designated “EL”.

I was very surprised to see that Harmonix is apparently still relying on two (or more?) significantly different manufacturing processes—likely by two different plants—for Rock Band 2, especially after the criticism that surrounded the RB1 variations.

The following is a comparison. Some differences are significant, sometimes even affecting gameplay. Some are purely aesthetic. Look below for a link to pictures of these traits.

Gameplay
      o Both sets performed admirably, with very few phantom hits and virtually no missed notes, even during rolls. This is a testament to the general build quality of the new drum heads.
      o The EL bass pedal was easier to press down, which made multiple bass kicks in rapid succession easier to manage.
      o The SL set would not synchronize with an Xbox 360 Wireless Headset. The EL set had no trouble with this.
      o The EL set velocity sensitivity requires very hard drumming for loud hits. The SL, on the other hand, requires incredibly light tapping to trigger soft hits.

Drum Head Assembly
      o The rim of the SL set drum head is white and is set very slightly above the drum surface. The EL set features a grey rim and the drum surface is significantly deeper.
      o The internals are considerably different all around. The rubber grommets on the EL set are pointier and covered in a rather unpleasant glue.
      o The button assembly on the SL features a loose directional pad, poorly printed ABXY labels, and thin quadrants around the Guide button. The EL directional pad is very firm, the buttons feature a bolder, more consistently shaped typeface, and the Guide quadrant ring is more substantial.
      o The secondary ports on the back of the main button assembly feature a different design between the two sets.
      o The bottom sticker is nearly identical, and oddly features the same exact FCC ID and IC codes for such differing products. Notably, the MTV Games logo is almost yellow on the EL set and firmly green on the SL set.
      o The SL set has holes through which the rubber grommets feed. These are not open on the EL set.

Stand Assembly
      o The SL main stands have clamps that do not close fully; the EL set’s leg clamps close flush with the surrounding black plastic.
      o The EL leg connectors (that the pedal mounts to) press flush into the feet. The SL set, even when pushed tightly together, have small gaps at the edges.
      o The SL set stand assembly features incredibly thick, grippy rubber soles. The EL, in comparison, features a combination of thinner rubber material and, in some instances, a semi-firm foam.
      o The EL set feet feature snap-in connectors, while the SL equivalent connectors just push in and rely on a tight fit.

Kick Pedal
      o The SL variation features countersinks more accurately fitted to their flat screws. The EL set features a much sharper bevel on the design pressed into the metal.
      o The same very thick gripping rubber found on the SL set’s feet is found on the kick pedal. The SL even features one more rubber sole than the EL counterpart.
      o The EL pedal base sits flush to the ground. The SL, however, sits quite high off the ground due to the thick rubber.
      o The SL pedal underside features an extra tab on the orange plastic, as well as slightly more grip on the rubber bumpers.
      o The 1/8” TS connectors feature different designs.

All told, it’s really not easy to say “one is definitely better than the other”. The SL set has a far better chance of not moving around due to the super-thick rubber feet, but that also elevates the kick pedal and in some situations can make the far end of it fly up when you’re kicking frenetically. However, the EL set is a given for anyone with a wireless headset (though that might just be a small batch of SL sets with this problem). And then some people genuinely have accuracy issues with certain sets, though both have behaved fine for me.

I was originally going to link each picture example to the related bullet above. But I'm way too tired and it was getting tedious with forum code. So, here's a nice directory listing showing all the pictures. Sorry for all the awful jpeg compression on some of the shots; a fault of my batch processing.

http://gamecast.org/drumcomparison/

In the end, I just wanted to provide some interesting pictures. As well as pose the question: why do you think Harmonix is still manufacturing two noticeably different sets? Perhaps contracts with multiple Chinese manufacturers that haven’t ended yet? Maybe there is a still-present belief that it somehow results in a more consistently acceptable user experience?
Xusder  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RB2 EL/SL Drum Comparison (With Pictures) Reply with quote

Plaguefox wrote:
It's right above this post! Read it dammit!

Either Harmonix is manufacturing new updated sets, or they just like to fuck with the obsessive compulsive disorder cases (in no way, shape, or form am I saying you're an obsessive compulsive Plaguefox) .

ALL OF MY D.L.C. All RB 1/2 DLC, All RB:N DLC, All TB:RB DLC, All Exports (RB 1/L:RB/GD:RB). Pray for my Hard Drive!

Last edited by Xusder on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Xusder PSN Name: Xusder Wii Friend Code: 2904437187104594
Plaguefox  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RB2 EL/SL Drum Comparison (With Pictures) Reply with quote

Xusder wrote:
Either Harmonix is manufacturing new updated sets, or they just like to fuck with the obsessive compulsive disorder cases (in no way, shape, or form am I saying you're an obsessive compulsive Plaguefox) .

Well, I'd liiiiike to think that it's just a matter of them moving from one outdated piece of hardware to a new, wholly superior product, but my experience with Rock Band 1 drum sets suggests that can't be the case. From what must have been nearly the very beginning of shipping hardware, they've had two different sets (QM / EL) and I have read of both being found as replacements in their warranty program in the late-game leading up to RB2 release.

And that doesn't even mention the SL, which I've never seen an RB1 version of (two was enough thanks!)

OCD is a scary thing. I don't wash my hands more than a dozen times a day, though. ;)
Xusder  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RB2 EL/SL Drum Comparison (With Pictures) Reply with quote

Plaguefox wrote:
Xusder wrote:

Well, I'd liiiiike to think that it's just a matter of them moving from one outdated piece of hardware to a new, wholly superior product, but my experience with Rock Band 1 drum sets suggests that can't be the case. From what must have been nearly the very beginning of shipping hardware, they've had two different sets (QM / EL) and I have read of both being found as replacements in their warranty program in the late-game leading up to RB2 release.

And that doesn't even mention the SL, which I've never seen an RB1 version of (two was enough thanks!)

OCD is a scary thing. I don't wash my hands more than a dozen times a day, though. ;)

Heh, maybe HMX, like you said, has two different manufacturing plants or something like that.

Anyways nice find, I'm sure this will help those who need to iron out the wrinkles in their specific sets.

ALL OF MY D.L.C. All RB 1/2 DLC, All RB:N DLC, All TB:RB DLC, All Exports (RB 1/L:RB/GD:RB). Pray for my Hard Drive!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Xusder PSN Name: Xusder Wii Friend Code: 2904437187104594
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great job with the pictures. Thanks a lot for that breakdown.

I think the reason for the different builds is that they have purchased probably millions of each component and somewhere along the way they re-engineered the product (like what was done several times with the Strat). So instead of wasting the plastic and millions of spent dollars, they went ahead with production of at least two different RB2 drum models. As long as the quality is there (so far), there is no reason to completely drop one model unless it has a major defect. It does make it a little harder for us who want to mod them, but the average consumer will never know about these differences. But for us of course this is vital info.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGuy wrote:
Wow, great job with the pictures. Thanks a lot for that breakdown.

I think the reason for the different builds is that they have purchased probably millions of each component and somewhere along the way they re-engineered the product (like what was done several times with the Strat). So instead of wasting the plastic and millions of spent dollars, they went ahead with production of at least two different RB2 drum models. As long as the quality is there (so far), there is no reason to completely drop one model unless it has a major defect. It does make it a little harder for us who want to mod them, but the average consumer will never know about these differences. But for us of course this is vital info.

Heh, I wonder if they have any other models with other noticeable differences. Sort of like the EL, SL, QM models they had for RB1.

That would be craazy.

EDIT: Unless they already have three different models, and I'm just being a dumb ass and not remembering that they have three different models already. Do they?

Plaguefox  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent conversation with a friend of mine has me wondering the same thing.

Are there any RB2 drum sets marked QM? I haven't heard anything about that out in the big big Internet.
REBELBOY  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay I got a SL its FTL it has cross talk with the yellow and blue but I put socks under the heads and thats fixed, but I hate not being able to use ANY headset AT ALL
FinalSunrise  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, does anyone know which models experience the Y/B crosstalk issues, or is it just a matter of luck, also how about the center thingys bubbling up, cuz those are the two things stopping me from buying this set
PhilipinoPride  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FinalSunrise wrote:
so, does anyone know which models experience the Y/B crosstalk issues, or is it just a matter of luck, also how about the center thingys bubbling up, cuz those are the two things stopping me from buying this set

From what i can see, the SL has the crosstalk but i don't have an EL so i don't know if it has it too... oh my god i hate having to change mics every freaking time i switch to my drumset but i modded mine so it never crosstalks anymore
[6:41pm] xsiick: I love PhilipinoPride
[6:41pm] xsiick: go ahead
[6:41pm] xsiick: sig that
[x] Beat the Rock Band 2 endless setlist on expert drums
[x] Get a #1 score on Scorehero Rock Band 2 expert drums (RHCP- Tell me Baby) got taken away from me
[ ] Get past a major RB2 drummer on scorehero career leaderboards (I still need to put up all my scores)
[x] Get all achievements for RB2
[ ] Get #1 on XBL leaderboards on a RB2 song for drums
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Philipino Pride
Nalk  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plaguefox wrote:
Are there any RB2 drum sets marked QM? I haven't heard anything about that out in the big big Internet.

My PS3 drums are QMs. It would make sense that they makes drums for different consoles at different plants.
Megabert  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: RB2 EL/SL Drum Comparison (With Pictures) Reply with quote

I'm going to add info about the QM drumsets to this post in another color.

Plaguefox wrote:
Two weeks ago I purchased a Rock Band 2 Wireless Drum set from Circuit City. It was an “SL” set, according to the box.

Yesterday I received another via DeepDiscount several weeks after the initial order that I forgot to cancel. This set is designated “EL”.

I was very surprised to see that Harmonix is apparently still relying on two (or more?) significantly different manufacturing processes—likely by two different plants—for Rock Band 2, especially after the criticism that surrounded the RB1 variations.

The following is a comparison. Some differences are significant, sometimes even affecting gameplay. Some are purely aesthetic. Look below for a link to pictures of these traits.

Gameplay
      o Both sets performed admirably, with very few phantom hits and virtually no missed notes, even during rolls. This is a testament to the general build quality of the new drum heads. The QMs have no problems with double-hits. They're extremely sensitive ( I've broken combo because my stick accidentally brushes against the head and sets it off). They also never drop a note (not even on extremely soft or extremely hard hits).
      o The EL bass pedal was easier to press down, which made multiple bass kicks in rapid succession easier to manage. The QM bass pedal is very easy to press down, but the metal is kind of grippy because of the blue protective coating that it had on it (I did remove the protective coating).
      o The SL set would not synchronize with an Xbox 360 Wireless Headset. The EL set had no trouble with this. I don't know about headsets, it's a PS3 QM and I don't have a PS3, I'm on PS2.
      o The EL set velocity sensitivity requires very hard drumming for loud hits. The SL, on the other hand, requires incredibly light tapping to trigger soft hits.
    The QM appears to have no problems registering relatively natural velocity, but fills are very quiet on the PS2 (I've plugged in my RB1 kit and tested this).
    Drum Head Assembly
      o The rim of the SL set drum head is white and is set very slightly above the drum surface. The EL set features a grey rim and the drum surface is significantly deeper. QMs have EL type rims.
      o The internals are considerably different all around. The rubber grommets on the EL set are pointier and covered in a rather unpleasant glue. QMs have relatively blunt rubber grommets with no glue, but they're a pain to get on. The foam is attached to the top (floating?) part of the head, and have plastic on them to protect the foam.
      o The button assembly on the SL features a loose directional pad, poorly printed ABXY labels, and thin quadrants around the Guide button. The EL directional pad is very firm, the buttons feature a bolder, more consistently shaped typeface, and the Guide quadrant ring is more substantial. The QM has a more EL type button assembly.
      o The secondary ports on the back of the main button assembly feature a different design between the two sets.
      o The bottom sticker is nearly identical, and oddly features the same exact FCC ID and IC codes for such differing products. Notably, the MTV Games logo is almost yellow on the EL set and firmly green on the SL set.
      o The SL set has holes through which the rubber grommets feed. These are not open on the EL set. There are (mostly) holes on the QM set. There are two grommets that don't have holes all the way through on the blue and yellow pads

Stand Assembly
      o The SL main stands have clamps that do not close fully; the EL set’s leg clamps close flush with the surrounding black plastic. The QM clamps close flush and snug.
      o The EL leg connectors (that the pedal mounts to) press flush into the feet. The SL set, even when pushed tightly together, have small gaps at the edges. QM cross-rods press flush.
      o The SL set stand assembly features incredibly thick, grippy rubber soles. The EL, in comparison, features a combination of thinner rubber material and, in some instances, a semi-firm foam. The QM has a large set of rubber pads on the bottom.
      o The EL set feet feature snap-in connectors, while the SL equivalent connectors just push in and rely on a tight fit. The QM Cross-rods snap in flush.

Kick Pedal
      o The SL variation features countersinks more accurately fitted to their flat screws. The EL set features a much sharper bevel on the design pressed into the metal. The QM has a pretty smooth metal plate with flush screws.
      o The same very thick gripping rubber found on the SL set’s feet is found on the kick pedal. The SL even features one more rubber sole than the EL counterpart. There's not much rubber on the QM pedal. Just enough to grip the cross-bar. EDIT: I just found extra rubber feet on the QM, they're big.
      o The EL pedal base sits flush to the ground. The SL, however, sits quite high off the ground due to the thick rubber. The QM is flush on the ground.
      o The SL pedal underside features an extra tab on the orange plastic, as well as slightly more grip on the rubber bumpers. I do believe the QM has the extra tab, and really hard rubber stoppers on the bottom.
      o The 1/8” TS connectors feature different designs.

All told, it’s really not easy to say “one is definitely better than the other”. The SL set has a far better chance of not moving around due to the super-thick rubber feet, but that also elevates the kick pedal and in some situations can make the far end of it fly up when you’re kicking frenetically. However, the EL set is a given for anyone with a wireless headset (though that might just be a small batch of SL sets with this problem). And then some people genuinely have accuracy issues with certain sets, though both have behaved fine for me.

I was originally going to link each picture example to the related bullet above. But I'm way too tired and it was getting tedious with forum code. So, here's a nice directory listing showing all the pictures. Sorry for all the awful jpeg compression on some of the shots; a fault of my batch processing.

http://gamecast.org/drumcomparison/

In the end, I just wanted to provide some interesting pictures. As well as pose the question: why do you think Harmonix is still manufacturing two noticeably different sets? Perhaps contracts with multiple Chinese manufacturers that haven’t ended yet? Maybe there is a still-present belief that it somehow results in a more consistently acceptable user experience?

As far as I can tell, the QM is the best of the three.

Also, the legs have inch and half-inch markings on them. I love this because I can remember my drum height preference pretty exactly when I take it somewhere.

Last edited by Megabert on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Llednik  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to pick up a RB2 drumset tomorrow, which seems the best for GAMEPLAY...i dont care for the other stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Llednik
JonyBoyHache  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an EL, no crosstalk, but I do have an air bubble on my red pad.
Anyway to fix it or it doesnt affect gameplay? I does affect the velocity a little though.
Beat RB2 Xpert challenges, excluding vocals ()
Be top 50 360 Hard Drums ()
FC 10 songs ()
Complete all my goals ()
GT: STA JonyBoy
mhartman  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SL model but I guess I'm lucky. The power button is loose but the directional pad is tight/firm. The button labels are clear and centered. No issues with crosstalk or anything else. The clamps close just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: