FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rock Band Guitar Tournament - UNH: IEEE (CEPS) Nov 7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leveticus  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Rock Band Guitar Tournament - UNH: IEEE (CEPS) Nov 7 Reply with quote

Quote:
IEEE Rock Band Event:
Greetings! We’re happy to announce that the IEEE is hosting a Rock Band tournament for this
November. Read below for more details!
Where? MUB 338/340
Who? All interested students! (Not just ECE)
When? November 7th from 7 to ~10PM
Rules:
The tournament will be set up as a head-to-head, single elimination, bracket system. The contest will be
performed strictly on guitar, but if sufficient interest is raised, we can potentially set up a smaller
bracket for participants who wish to compete on the drums. Winner will be determined by score, not
accuracy.
We will most likely start the event on hard difficulty, and move to expert after the first couple of rounds.
Songs for the first few rounds will be from the main set list, but later rounds will pull songs from
downloadable content. We may release a list of potential songs closer to the tournament date, but this
isn’t a guarantee.
We will provide guitar hero guitars for the contest, but if you would prefer your own instrument, feel
free to bring it.
Prizes:
The grand prize winner will win a Rock Band 2 bundle on the platform of his/her choice. The runner up
will receive a $50 gift certificate. There are also a number of giveaway prizes that will be raffled off at
no cost to the participants.
How to sign up?:
Sign up with Kathy Reynolds in the ECE office in Kingsbury W201. The cost of the event is $5 dollars,
which helps off-set the cost of the event. There are no additional expenses, and you do not have to pay
if you aren’t planning on competing. (We encourage people to come watch!)

Hello Scorehero!

I'm just letting anyone on SH who's attending the University of New Hampshire (...anyone?) that an organization from the College of Engineering and Physics is holding a Guitar tournament for Rock Band on November 7th.

Come to think of it, are there any outstanding GH/RB guitar players in New Hampshire? Let alone the Durham area? Let alone attending UNH??

the winner gets a RB2 bundle on the system of their choice...so...I kinda want to know my chances =D

Last edited by Leveticus on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must not know that Armageddon goes to UNH . I also live only 20 minutes from UNH (1.5 hours from my college though). I'd love to go if my schedule allows it considering I have some high school friends I'd love to see.

What time does it start and is there an entree fee? Or is it free to enter?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to IEEE's home page, they plan on hosting this event in October. Seeing as how there are only 2 days left until the end of October and the fact that they haven't given it a specific date, my guess is that it's being re-scheduled for some time in November. I'll keep tabs on the tournament and post in this thread as more information becomes available.

For anyone that doesn't know, I'm a freshman at UNH. If and when the tournament happens, I'll be there. Hope to see a few faces from ScoreHero!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I didn't know you were my age Armageddon! I'm a freshman myself, Chemical Engineering major, I live over in Williamson!

I'm really excited to see someone really good at GH, because I'm technically the best person I know =P.

Very cool, I guess I'll see you there!

EDIT: For anyone interested, theres a $5 entrance fee, and you sign up in Kingsbury room W201. (You only have to pay if you're competing) It's available to all UNH students, and it's being held in the MUB room 338/340 on November 7th, 7-9 PM.

Here's the info from the flier pdf i received via email:

Quote:
IEEE Rock Band Event:
Greetings! We’re happy to announce that the IEEE is hosting a Rock Band tournament for this
November. Read below for more details!
Where? MUB 338/340
Who? All interested students! (Not just ECE)
When? November 7th from 7 to ~10PM
Rules:
The tournament will be set up as a head-to-head, single elimination, bracket system. The contest will be
performed strictly on guitar, but if sufficient interest is raised, we can potentially set up a smaller
bracket for participants who wish to compete on the drums. Winner will be determined by score, not
accuracy.
We will most likely start the event on hard difficulty, and move to expert after the first couple of rounds.
Songs for the first few rounds will be from the main set list, but later rounds will pull songs from
downloadable content. We may release a list of potential songs closer to the tournament date, but this
isn’t a guarantee.
We will provide guitar hero guitars for the contest, but if you would prefer your own instrument, feel
free to bring it.
Prizes:
The grand prize winner will win a Rock Band 2 bundle on the platform of his/her choice. The runner up
will receive a $50 gift certificate. There are also a number of giveaway prizes that will be raffled off at
no cost to the participants.
How to sign up?:
Sign up with Kathy Reynolds in the ECE office in Kingsbury W201. The cost of the event is $5 dollars,
which helps off-set the cost of the event. There are no additional expenses, and you do not have to pay
if you aren’t planning on competing. (We encourage people to come watch!)

Lolit'sstartingonhard

EDIT 2: I received an email from CEPS describing it, that included a PDF flier with the info I posted above.
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean only UNH students can enter . Bummer if that's the case. Too bad considering that the bigger tornaments I've been to haven't had such an awesome prize. The second prize is actually better then the best 1st place prize I've ever won . Hopefully non-UNH students can still compete.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's limited to UNH students, but I'd still give it a shot. There was a concert a few weeks back that was free for UNH students, but they didn't really check student IDs so a few friends of mine that didn't go to unh got in for free.

I'm really quite excited, this is my first gh/rb tournament ever. Of course it's one that Armageddon goes to

Armageddon  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a SH student at UNH! I'm a Computer Science major, living in Jessie Doe. Perhaps we can meet up before the tournament, play some Guitar Hero or Rock Band? I'm not here this weekend, but if you want to shoot me a PM sometime during the week I'll be more than happy to meet up with you!

On a tournament-related note, I sent an e-mail to the president of the IEEE regarding non-student participants, he should respond by Monday or so. I'll post the official response as soon as I get a response.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The verdict is in. Non-students are welcome to participate as well, so this is effectively a public tournament!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! Now to find a way to get to UNH . I was home this past weekend but I won't have my parents to bring me home this time and freshman can't have cars on campus. If you guys have any ideas that would be great and I'll try to come up with something on my end because I'd love to make it down for this.

I also don't have any class at all on Fridays, so I have that entire day free. I'll see if there's some kind of public transportation that can take me to Durham and Dover or something and then go from there. Maybe a train or cab or something, but I hate taking public transportation (the people with you on the train are scary ). Oh well. I'll see what I can do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of is taking a greyhound bus or something from Waltham to Durham, which would cost money in and of itself. However, it's your most likely option if you're looking to get up here. Hopefully you can make it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at Daniel Webster College up in Nashua. I will definitely bring my band along.

See you guys there.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Joimbob
Leveticus  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, this is shaping up to be a great turnout! Especially for SH folk. I registered for the tournament today, and there looked to be at least a dozen/dozen and a half or so people already participating.

If we can generate enough interest, there's a possibility of opening up a drumming bracket. I can play expert drums (not much more than that ) but yeah, it'd be nice to see a drum bracket too.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leveticus wrote:
Awesome, this is shaping up to be a great turnout! Especially for SH folk. I registered for the tournament today, and there looked to be at least a dozen/dozen and a half or so people already participating.

If we can generate enough interest, there's a possibility of opening up a drumming bracket. I can play expert drums (not much more than that ) but yeah, it'd be nice to see a drum bracket too.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Oh crap. Do we need to sign up for this ahead of time? If we do then hopefully Army can help me out with this one (that's assuming I can get the transportation situation straightened out). And I'm glad to see other SHers in the area attending. Should be an awesome time!

And as for drums, they aren't exactly my specialty, but I've almost made it through halfway into my hard drum career . I still might do it for S&G.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brockbfball1563 wrote:
Oh crap. Do we need to sign up for this ahead of time? If we do then hopefully Army can help me out with this one (that's assuming I can get the transportation situation straightened out). And I'm glad to see other SHers in the area attending. Should be an awesome time!

And as for drums, they aren't exactly my specialty, but I've almost made it through halfway into my hard drum career . I still might do it for S&G.

In response to this, I just shot off another email to the president (of the IEEE >_>), should have a response within a day or so with knowledge of the registration deadline. If you find a way here and need me to sign up for you, I'll be more than happy to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick response. As long as you are registered before the tournament actually starts, he can add you into the bracket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: