FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Evidence that the Red Drum IS more important than others.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongSockSilver  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Evidence that the Red Drum IS more important than others. Reply with quote

Did anyone ever get that loading screen tidbit that says something like "On tricky bits, focus on the red drum and kick pedal because the crowd won't mind as much if you miss the other ones (exact quotation unavailable)?" It is to be taken literally. That is to say, hitting the red drum properly will actually raise your 'rock meter' faster than any other drum in the same situation (bass pedal is yet to be tested, but likely works in the same way as the red drum). This also means that focusing on the red (and bass) drum(s) could help save you in a tight situation.

So perhaps you came into this thread looking for actual evidence of this. GRANTED.

Pop up 29 Fingers on Easy. Maintain yourself in the yellow as to easily track progress, and make sure you have the rhythm right so you can easily pay attention to the bar on the left. When a string and RB 'chords' comes up, play only the blue notes. When another string approaches, only the reds. You should notice that when you play the blue notes, you 'rock meter' will drop and rise back to exactly the same place at every note, maintaining the same exact position. When playing red notes only, however, you'll see that after dropping on each note, the meter actually goes UP slightly, and will end up quite a bit higher than the starting position.

Just thought I'd bring it out into the open, sorry if this realization is already common in everyone. I hope some of you crazy data folk can turn this into a way to help people

-LSS

<smokyprogg> I fced Mother before Cherry Pie
<dho> I FCeD YOUR MOTHER BEFORE I ATE HER CHERRY PIE
ocelot11  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that tip, and I started using it when there was just to much going on for me to handle. I could definitely tell the difference. It also helped me in that I was concentrating on just the red and the pedal so I wasn't just flailing around hitting extra stuff and losing more rock meter that way.
ghozt360  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the iron maiden song? the red pad acts as the high hat and the yellow the snare for that song...is the red still more important or does the yellow become more important?
defiler47  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghozt360 wrote:
what about the iron maiden song? the red pad acts as the high hat and the yellow the snare for that song...is the red still more important or does the yellow become more important?

It would seem in this case the yellow would be, as well as on orange crush.
Cliff  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defiler47 wrote:
ghozt360 wrote:

It would seem in this case the yellow would be, as well as on orange crush.

Are you basing that on anything, or is that just a random uneducated guess? To me, it would be recockulous for Harmonix to assign weight to every different drum/pedal for each individual song, but weighting red/kick as worth more overall isn't much of a stretch (and is, in fact, exactly how it works).
dfan  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made the kick and snare more important to the crowd meter than the other drums, for two reasons:

1) It's more important to the song to get them right than to get the hi-hat hits right

2) There are generally a lot more hi-hat notes than kick and snare, and we didn't want people be able to pass songs by, say, completely ignoring the kick drum since it is a small fraction of the notes.

Usually the snare is the red pad, but when we switch the snare to the yellow pad for songs like Orange Crush, we switch the "important pad" to yellow as well. This is also true if the pad/drum mapping changes back and forth during a song. We are a detail-oriented bunch here.

Recockulously yours,
Dan
LongSockSilver  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfan wrote:
We made the kick and snare more important to the crowd meter than the other drums, for two reasons:

1) It's more important to the song to get them right than to get the hi-hat hits right

2) There are generally a lot more hi-hat notes than kick and snare, and we didn't want people be able to pass songs by, say, completely ignoring the kick drum since it is a small fraction of the notes.

Usually the snare is the red pad, but when we switch the snare to the yellow pad for songs like Orange Crush, we switch the "important pad" to yellow as well. This is also true if the pad/drum mapping changes back and forth during a song. We are a detail-oriented bunch here.

Recockulously yours,
Dan

Thanks for the info. You guys rock :D

<smokyprogg> I fced Mother before Cherry Pie
<dho> I FCeD YOUR MOTHER BEFORE I ATE HER CHERRY PIE
Koushiro  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried out RttH expert yet, but hearing about how fast-paced the motions have to be for the drummer, would you still be able to pass the song by just hitting the red and the kick pedal, considering that your rock meter wouldn't be affected as much by the fact that you didn't miss those rather than missing all the other notes? O_o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: