FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Guitar/Bass Optimal Paths - New Site (All songs up to 2010)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmugDuckling  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Guitar/Bass Optimal Paths - New Site (All songs up to 2010) Reply with quote

NEW SITE IS UP

Go to www.apathtoofar.com

Which paths are available?

All paths from Rock Band 1, Rock Band 2, Rock Band: AC/DC and all DLC up to the week of Warped/Maroon 5/Pearl Jam Live.

Coming Soon

- More intelligent activations (the earlier the better)
- Other difficulties
- Maybe Guitar Hero paths (???????) (Don't hold your breath)
- An awesome site

July 13

Change Log (these will be incorporated into the public paths soon):

- Fixed path summary output to get rid of 0 activations. Didn't take into account squeezes extending activations.
- Add whammy amounts to chart including early whammy. *Should* be accurate and matches with ajanata's on 0/0 charts as far as I can tell.
- Added squeeze difficulties on charts.
- Fixed front end squeeze to only start on notes and do multiply sustains by OD.
- Only allow no whammy 0.5 seconds after whammy has been used due to whammy timeout.
- Fixed early whammy times so they do what I expect them to.

June 14

DLC is now out!

Original Post

So, I've written a Guitar/Bass OD optimization program.

It is now out! Grab the charts at http://www.apathtoofar.com

There are paths out for all on-disc songs in the series - Rock Band 1, Rock Band 2 and ACDC.

Please make any bug reports in this thread. I will read every reply. There are likely a TON of issues with these charts. That's where you come in.

Some quick notes about the charts:

- Light purple indicates a squeeze
- Yellow an activation
- A slightly different shade of light purple is early whammy
- Brown is do NOT whammy
- Dark purple is reverse squeeze (do not play the notes under a dark purple region under OD).

Thanks to midgetspy (he did a ton of work in the last few months) and ajanata (for the brilliant chart making and access to midis and various other things).

Frequently Asked Questions

Sarg338 wrote:
You have probably answered this, but i REALLY don't want to read all 40+ pages, so forgive me, but later on (you have tons of work to do before this, no rush) Are other difficulties being released?

Yes. The time that it takes to generate an entire difficulty is kind of astronomical (it took something around a week to generate expert, although this can be improved with increased parallelization), so we're just sticking with expert for a while.

Don't worry, other difficulties will be coming in short order.

100% squeezes seem impossible!

Our timing window might be off. We're keeping it how it is for now. If 100% is too large, use 80% instead.

Last edited by SmugDuckling on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 am; edited 26 times in total
xslaya22x  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... this is pretty nice. I've wondered if anyone had been working on optimization software for the overlapping-type OD paths in RB... and as of the last hour GH:WT SP paths as well.

You've developed a very nice tool.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received a request that I not release this program in order to maintain the competitiveness of Rock Band scores.

I personally don't mind having a Guitar Hero-style situation where the focus is on obtaining optimal scores, but if it's the overwhelming opinion of the community that I not release this, I'll keep it to myself.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information wants to be free, yo.
xeroxgp  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this program really tell you exactly where to use overdrive? I would think even if you knew, you'd still have to be able to execute and squeeze, and hit the solos and 100% it as well.

You'd just be taking away the competition of finding out what the overdrive path is.

I'm neutral on what to do here...:/

I don't know about you, but I like where they're headed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: XeroXGP PSN Name: Conlin
Torchy  

Location: Indiana / Kentucky, U.S.A. (or aboard U.S.S. Moisthero)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkuo wrote:
Information wants to be free, yo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xeroxgp wrote:
Would this program really tell you exactly where to use overdrive? I would think even if you knew, you'd still have to be able to execute and squeeze, and hit the solos and 100% it as well.

You'd just be taking away the competition of finding out what the overdrive path is.

I'm neutral on what to do here...:/

Finding the optimal OD path is only necessary for 1st within the first few weeks or so. Once someone finds it they almost always post it in the OD path section.

This is when skill in FCing and squeezing come in.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should realease it. It won't really diminish competitiveness; it will only save people time. I know that I certainly don't have time to be writing paths for songs, and I'm sure many other people feel the same way. I actually think it's very annoying when I see someone who's not realeasing an optimal path that they have discovered. That's selfish. While this will make it so that the higher ranking people may just be ones who put in more time "score-whoring" easy songs, having optimal paths doesn't actually make you any better. So the best players will still be able to beat everybody else by doing well on the harder songs. It takes a decent amount of skill to even justify looking up paths in the first place.

Seb  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDole wrote:
I know that I certainly don't have time to be writing paths for songs.

I agree.

I say release it... and don't worry all you squeezers, I do not have the time nor patience to try to optimize scores.

I just like having a score that is decent.
Sully  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDole wrote:
I think you should realease it. It won't really diminish competitiveness; it will only save people time. I know that I certainly don't have time to be writing paths for songs, and I'm sure many other people feel the same way. I actually think it's very annoying when I see someone who's not realeasing an optimal path that they have discovered. That's selfish. While this will make it so that the higher ranking people may just be ones who put in more time "score-whoring" easy songs, having optimal paths doesn't actually make you any better. So the best players will still be able to beat everybody else by doing well on the harder songs. It takes a decent amount of skill to even justify looking up paths in the first place.

I've spent almost two years developing my "pathing skills," so I'm against the public release of a program like this.

Yes, pathing is a skill. It takes a bunch of time. I often "release" paths when I find them, but sometimes I don't- especially Full Band paths since they can take hours to create.

How is it selfish not to share the fruits of my labors? It might take me two hours to find a first place path for a song in single player. I may have to play the song 20 times to test tweaks and to find out of certain squeezes are possible. And that's just one song. Averaged out for over hundreds of songs over multiple instrument iterations, I'm sure I've spent over a hundred hours making paths. And I should just make them all public to not be selfish?

Anyone can make basic paths for songs with very little time that will generally land them within a few thousand points of top scores. If you want top scores, you should have to devote the time to learning how to path and then devote the time to making paths. If you aren't willing to invest the time, then you don't deserve top scores.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
Rickles  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for release. I would LOVE to be able to play rockband competitively.

I respect and thank what the human path makers have done for this community, but it's time to move on. It's time to get the best scores that we can be. I'm very sick of hunting down the 15th place youtube video, just to waste 6 minutes watching get a cruddy path which i will forget, halfway through the song. It's a pain in the ass.

This would TRIPLE my fun in rock band, and that is not an overstatement at all.

-----------------

This would take the high score community so much further then where it is now. No longer will we have to Rely on confusing, and inconsistent paths from anyone and everyone.

Thoughts on the program. It looks good but is pretty tough to read. Implemented Squeezing would really be good.

Also, having the whole number path like 2-2-3-2 on top of the page would help a lot As Seen Here

This program has the power to change the face of competitive rock band scoring. PLEASE PLEASE release it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
I've spent almost two years developing my "pathing skills," so I'm against the public release of a program like this.

This is like saying "I'm a professional mathematician, so I'm against calculators", only on an even more petty scale.
Lasfas  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should release it.

Debr (or whoever) Came up with this a long time ago, and never released it, and I really wanted it.

Figure this, As Sully said, Rock Band/Guitar Hero has been out 2-3 years, and everyone who wanted pathing has figured it out by now. This product would be No change to them.

It does however let non pathers have better scores/Higher Star counts.

Let it be Released. It'll make us non pathers happy. :)

EDIT:
Yen24 wrote:
Release it. Make Rock Band a game of skill again, not a game of having a better path.

This. THIS. THIS.

Last edited by Lasfas on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
Strykerx  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whatever. I could give all of my reasons and whining trying to convince you not to release it, but it won't matter, as the people that want it released will always outnumber me...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Release it. Make Rock Band a game of skill again, not a game of having a better path.

DLC Request By Month: The Vines (08/08), Jefferson Airplane (09/08), The Tragically Hip (10/08) Chilliwack (11/08), Deep Purple (12/08), Joy Division (01/09)

Yen24.1up.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yen24
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 1 of 83

Jump to: