FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I don't think my pedal is gonna break.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swifterz  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you just use the magnet basen of the RB base pedal and put it on that back of

And attach a magnet to the pass pedal's beater.

Was thinking of doing this if it seems plausible, anyone else think it would work?
ArchaeoJohn  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swifterz wrote:
Couldn't you just use the magnet basen of the RB base pedal and put it on that back of

And attach a magnet to the pass pedal's beater.

Was thinking of doing this if it seems plausible, anyone else think it would work?

I tried that exact method, and it didn't work. The problem is that there is a magnet under the RB footpad, which activates a small receiver in the base of the pedal. I took it all apart, and the receiver works by being tapped, so the magnet is actually attracting a small metal element, which hits the top of a small case enclosing it every time the magnet gets within a half inch or so.

So I had the element out and was tapping it with my finger while it was plugged into the game, and it was registering as a kick drum hit.

I have no idea why this weird system was used to make the RB kick pedal, but there you go. I guess you have to cut corners somewhere when you're trying to get a product this ambitious out for $200.

So I tried embedding the receiver into a pad like the one you show, but when it's squeezed into some place, it can't function (it's always "on", and can't register the signal until it's on, then off). So you'd have to rig up some complicated system where the receiver is suspended within a shell and has enough free room to move around and tap the surface of the shell to make the signal. I tried using the shell it was in, but you have to rip it out of the RB pedal, resulting in half a shell.

I just gave up and ordered a new one under warranty. I hope they take a return that is completely gutted.
tsfoot8  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: metal kick pedal Reply with quote

what is the thing that connects the speaker wire to the audio plug?
RawWS6  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan wrote:

So, things I've discovered, in case they're new:

-The RB drum controller is only looking for "circuit completion" in order to register a hit. IE, if the electricity leaving the controller is coming back to it somehow, a hit is registered.

-Once a hit is registered, a new hit cannot be registered until the circuit is opened and then closed again.

-The sensor inside of the RB pedal is uber-simple: It's a magnet that detects when another magnet on the upper half of the pedal is close to it. How close? Eh, a little more than a half an inch.

PS: I'm curious as to wether there are any other cheap input methods other than the push-button that can be used. It's only like two inches tall and doesn't seem like it'd be hardy enough to stand up to weeks of beating or the force of a foot and metal pedal on top of it. Does anybody who's electric-engineering minded know of any hinge type trigger, or magnetic type trigger like the one the game's pedal uses?

If this is true...

Is there any reason you need a switch? If you have a metal pedal, hook the wire to the pedal (solder or drill a small hole and screw it in) and run it along the side so it isn't in the way.

Use a wood block or something underneath the pedal, but instead of a switch, just use a piece of metal on top of the block and solder the other wire directly to it.

When the pedal hits the block with the metal piece, circuit is completed, drum hit is registered.

I don't know, I haven't fooled around with the pedal at all so I'm just assuming this may be possible based on the posts so far. I broke my first pedal last night (240 lb guy jumping on a plastic pedal during Go With the Flow = ), so as soon as my RMA pedal that came with my head replacement breaks, I'll be looking for a new solution.
ybb2  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this will work, but since it is a basic on off system, you could probably get a or gate which registers a signal of two inputs and compares them in a "if both are not sending a signal then it is off and all other responses are a on" system. meaning if either pedal is hit or both pedals are hit it is on. Then all you need is a microcontroller to stop the signal after it is registered, so a pedal held down isn't registered as a always on effect. That is for a double bass type system.

To use a pressure sensitive type device. You could use a analog to digital converter and set the range so the lowest analog signal is the softest beat and the highest analog signal is the hardest beat, and set the output of all analog signals to be a digital on signal. That way the rockband reciever always gets a on no matter what is inputted from the drum.
LVNomad  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombie1942 wrote:
just seems like so much work... when you can just buy a dang kick drum trigger for $50 which already attaches to a real kick pedal...

this rig looks like it has alot of collision aspect which has to be sure and break down sooner or later...

buy this...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pintech-K3-Ergokik-Kick-Trigger-with-Inverted-Beater?sku=444880&src=3SOSWXXA

attach it to a kick pedal...

plug it in with a standard patch cable with a 1/8 to 1/4 reducer... done.

unless its spending the $60 that you have a problem with.

but it cant get any better than this... cuz this is the real thing... and this trigger supports a double kick pedal.

kudos for a job well done... but these things already exist... this wheel has already been invented... and its available in a refined, complete, low cost package.

nice job on the video too.. i laughed at the failure part where you slowed down the audio... haha that stuff always cracks me up...
If money wasnt an issue, can someone verify this actually works? I dont want to make my own buttons and crap.
LVNomad  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next question. would this work?
http://www.pintechworld.com/usa/products/pedals/product.aspx?p=vfp1

Or this
http://www.pintechworld.com/usa/products/pedals/product.aspx?p=gighh
LVNomad  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this. I will report on whether it is a good addition to the other mods floating around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=280187266876
stulk  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried a few things as an alternate kick pedal. I have a DW 5000 with a pressure sensitive electronic sensor that does not work consistently, probably due to the sensitivity of the switch.

But, I just tried a cheapo keyboard sustain pedal (which I used on my old electronic drum kit as a high-hat switch) and it worked. I believe that any "normally open" sustain pedal or high-hat pedal for an electronic kit would work. You'll just need to get a 1/4" to mini-pin (mono) adapter and you should be good to go.

This is the pedal that did work:
http://www.music123.com/MPM-Sustain-Pedal---Normally-Open-450428-i1172507.Music123

I used this for years as a sustain pedal and high-hat switch and it's never failed me.
LVNomad  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "cheapy" pedal specifically lists its connection type.

i did a search for "high hat pedal" and found this, but it doesnt specifiy its connection type. Do they all have 1/4"?

http://www.music123.com/Roland-FD-8-Hi-Hat-Control-Pedal-449919-i1141805.Music123
8TamaZ  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There appears to be another solution along the same lines posted elsewhere on this forum. It uses the reed switch, with magnets taped to the bottom side of the pedal (triggering the switch when the two are in close proximity).

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2226

The guy who made this mod shows his handy work on this youtube video, getting a 99% on expert for Tom Sawyer. Watch some of the fast kicks required, and it looks to be a pretty accurate solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sYggD2jBcM
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8TamaZ wrote:
There appears to be another solution along the same lines posted elsewhere on this forum. It uses the reed switch, with magnets taped to the bottom side of the pedal (triggering the switch when the two are in close proximity).

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2226

The guy who made this mod shows his handy work on this youtube video, getting a 99% on expert for Tom Sawyer. Watch some of the fast kicks required, and it looks to be a pretty accurate solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sYggD2jBcM

Although I use the mod, I didn't create it. Reldan gets full credit for that!

Proud Carungiist - If you are a Carungiist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Carungiists are on ScoreHero!
yakityyakblah wrote:
OMG it's called scorehero not shitty argument hero.

Author for RockGamer Studios
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
stulk  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LVNomad wrote:
That "cheapy" pedal specifically lists its connection type.

i did a search for "high hat pedal" and found this, but it doesnt specifiy its connection type. Do they all have 1/4"?

http://www.music123.com/Roland-FD-8-Hi-Hat-Control-Pedal-449919-i1141805.Music123

That looks like it has a 1/4" jack - so you'll need a 1/4" mono cable (like a guitar cable) and a 1/4" to 1/8" mono adapter and that should work. Note I say should, since I'm not sure what kind of signal it's sending. I'm guessing it's a standard binary "open/close" switch and doesn't do anything fancier.
gabizzle  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Great job. Reply with quote

Man, you did a great job. I gotta tell my cousin bout this.
kush1234  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: rock band bass pedal Reply with quote

i dont know wich audio cable to use can you give me the link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: