FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gold Star Cut-Off Topic (for Expert)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MorningThief581 wrote:
That said, if the song opened with single notes, you'd have the potential for even fewer points, so I don't see why it's any worse to have chords up front.

Let's consider if a song had only 50 notes altogether in it, ten 2-note chords, 30 single notes.

If the first ten notes were the chords, a FC would get you a score of 2,750.
If the LAST ten notes were the chords, a FC would get you a score of 3,500.

The game seems to calculate the 5* ratings based off of number of notes in a song.
So it would give the EXACT SAME 5* cutoff for both of these situations.
It doesn't care that you can't get a x4 multiplier on those chords in the first example, they're just considered "two notes each" and boost the 5* cutoff by the applicable value.

I can't 100% PROVE this theory is right or that it's how the 5* ratings are calculated. But it's obvious that they're determined by a mathmatical formula and not specifically chosen by the designers for each song. The ease in getting them varies too much from song to song for it to be anything else.

... we should probably stop hijacking this thread now and let it get back to what it's SUPPOSED to be, confirming just how close to "1.52x times the 5* cutoff" all the Gold Star ratings are.
ILoveHellsAshes  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Grass and High Tides is atleast 416k, thats what I got it on.

Too big, not to mention stupid.

Goal: 60 GH3X FC\'s (DONE!)
Goal: 750kEWWS (745k)

ILoveHellAshes - 4 wins, JPrez44 - 0 wins.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: L Breathe I
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILoveHellsAshes wrote:
Green Grass and High Tides is atleast 416k, thats what I got it on.

The "Big Finish" makes an exact number hard to track down, but it's been YouTube 5GS'd as low as 415,796. So the exact number is somewhere between 411,563 - 415,796.

Since the 5* is within 100 points of 271,800, your target score is 413,136. Due to the high point total, there's a lot of "standard deviation" in that number, but I guarantee someone will 5GS the song with a score of 414,XXX before the month is out, and quite possibly with 413,XXX.

Numbers don't lie. (But they DO suck during finals week. )
TheUncle  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: celebrity skin Reply with quote

I got a gold star with 118,019 on celebrity skin... slightly lower than what was previously posted. scored it on the ending freestyle thing.

Last edited by TheUncle on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeridotWeapon wrote:
So the exact number is somewhere between 411,563 - 415,796.

I think I'm gonna be sick. I just had 408K run at Gamestop (Near FC 1st solo, but screwed up the 2nd solo badly).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: paranoid Reply with quote

I hit the 5 gold's at around 160k on paranoid
TheUncle  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: won't get fooled Reply with quote

Just gold starred won't get fooled... the cutoff was 213,500~ (+/- 100).
jonfitz  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an update for I fought the Law. I got it at least at 97,162.

Last edited by jonfitz on Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
mr-apples  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway star gold star at 242,918... much lower than the known values

Given I only got 96% I would guess that's a very close to the minimum for a gold star
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-apples wrote:

Given I only got 96% I would guess that's a very close to the minimum for a gold star

Again, all it takes (at least for the more popular songs that actually HAVE them) is to find a YouTube video that gets to at least 5*, figure out the five-star cutoff point, multiply by 1.52, and you have your approximate cut-off value.

Highway Star's 5* is ~159,000 which makes the 5GS ~241,700. So yeah, you just snuck into 5GS range with that one. Big Rock Ending FTW.
mr-apples  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeridotWeapon wrote:
mr-apples wrote:

Again, all it takes (at least for the more popular songs that actually HAVE them) is to find a YouTube video that gets to at least 5*, figure out the five-star cutoff point, multiply by 1.52, and you have your approximate cut-off value.

Highway Star's 5* is ~159,000 which makes the 5GS ~241,700. So yeah, you just snuck into 5GS range with that one. Big Rock Ending FTW.

Oh yes, I'm pretty certain on the 1.5x formula. However, in the absence of some really confirmed and researched points listings, I think it's valuable to have a resource like this thread.
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-apples wrote:
However, in the absence of some really confirmed and researched points listings, I think it's valuable to have a resource like this thread.

Point taken - especially because as time passes, we're going to want to have EXACT cut-offs for the 5* and 5GS scores, and not just "within a spread of 500 of this number" that the formula can provide. We're like that.

And it's not infallible - mathmatically, "Next To You" by The Police should have been about 116,500. After getting ~116,600 TWICE with no Gold Stars, I finally just full comboed the friggin' thing out of spite with 130K. (And no, I wasn't testing the cutoff, my Mad Skillz are just that ... un-mad.) The cutoff WAS still before 117K, so the margin of error just worked against me on that one.
Degonite  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Sawyer is 108k then just got 107,473 no gold stars
Edit Well i got 111,386 was at like 106 befor the free part at the end so cant tell the perfect spot where it cuts off but I'd aim for 108-109 just to be safe

Gotsmack wrote:
did you fc it?
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[EDIT: I've got the link in my signature that goes to the complete list of Guitar 5GS cutoff scores, so there's no real reason for me to keep the version that was listed here up-to-date as well ...]

Last edited by PeridotWeapon on Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:47 am; edited 9 times in total
hiddenzombie013  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeridotWeapon wrote:
I'm still not sure why songs like Maps are such a pain to 5GS, as it's all single notes for the start. I guess because there are so few "high scoring" sections in that song, and precious few chords to take advantage of the 8x multiplier. If there were early-song chords, Maps would probably be impossible as well.

Maps was hard? I did it on my sightread, along with never hearing the song before. Got 100% too.
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: