FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gold Star Cut-Off Topic (for Expert)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiddenzombie013 wrote:
Maps was hard? I did it on my sightread, along with never hearing the song before. Got 100% too.

Nodnod. I mean it's mathmatically unforgiving, not that the SONG is difficult. The maximum score you can get for Maps is very close to the 5GS cutoff point. So unlike many other songs, if you screw up even ONCE in it, you can pretty much kiss the Gold Stars goodbye.

Other songs have much harder charts to FC, but are a lot more forgiving with the Gold Stars - they'll let you break combo a dozen times during the chart but still squeak by with 5GS. Any song with an abundance of Overdrive sections, slow-draining Overdrive sections or large sections of chords later in the game can fall into this category.

-----

NOTE: I now have a complete score list of the 5* and 5GS cutoff points for all 86 songs on the previous page of this topic. Let me know if you find any scores that don't match up right in your travels.
blob  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Sawyer is wrong... I have 108,039 right now, with no G*.

EDIT: thank you above poster... I am 40 points off... =( nvm. OP's post is wrong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blob wrote:
EDIT: thank you above poster... I am 40 points off... =( nvm. OP's post is wrong

Remember, my numbers are also estimates, not exact to-the-number cutoff points. But they should be pretty darn close.
In fact, they're based off of the "rule of 1.52" found by reading your own research you posted on the multipliers back on December 7th, so major props to you for that.

I think I'll round all the values up to the nearest hundred rather than keep them at the "straight math value" like I first put them. That should reduce the frequency of people using them as a guideline still missing the target value by only a few points.

Because ANYONE would look at a score like "108,072" and think it's an exact amount. When mathmatically, due to the margin of error, the cut-off could be as high as 108,300 or so on Tom Sawyer.

(Checking the video again, the first 'ching' in the video I watched appears to be 108,157, so the actual number should be anywhere between 108,058-108,157. Time will tell. )
cr250guy  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think learn to fly might be a little higher, i got it right at 160K

Edit: celebrity skin is certainly not 120, i got an it right at 116 (i actually watched it turn gold becuase i was checking to see if i was close to 120 >_>)

PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cr250guy wrote:
Edit: celebrity skin is certainly not 120, i got an it right at 116 (i actually watched it turn gold becuase i was checking to see if i was close to 120 >_>)

Was this at the end of the song, after the "Big Rock Finish," or did you hit it before that point? (I assume it must have been before, otherwise you wouldn't have seen the stars change color.) Remember, too, that you're usually at least two notes past the official 5GS point by the time they've turned gold. The first "ching" is your indication of passing the mark.

The 5* cut-off is anywhere between 75,093-75,492. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWAgaovIG0A ) Mathmatically speaking, that means 5GS HAS to be somewhere below 115,000, unless this is the first song that defies the Rule of 1.52.

Since my current high is 120,989, I got at least 5K from the Big Rock Ending, and I got the double ching Gold Stars a few notes BEFORE the Big Rock Ending, I believe 114,500 is still very close to the target number.
cr250guy  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a before the big rock finish, and 116 is where they stars finally turned to gold, which was a a second or soafter the acutal..i dont know what to call it..the sound it makes when you get a new star so it could have certainly been 115 or below. 116 is just i got visual confirmation of being 5G*, i just trying to give a more acurate number since the OP has it listed as 120 which is far to high.

Ral  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway Star's cutoff is much lower than 252K. I have 242K on it and I gold starred it. I have a picture too of it.

PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cr250guy wrote:
I just trying to give a more acurate number since the OP has it listed as 120 which is far to high.

Nodnod. Since he hasn't posted anything in a couple weeks I've debated 'jumping ship' and starting the same thing on a different thread, as opposed to leaving my (more accurate, IMO) numbers buried on the middle of the seventh page of this one. But we don't really need THAT many threads trying to do the same thing, either.
Fedora  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Iron Lung: 115,733 for the upper bound. (115,733 is a gold star.)

It chinged on my last note too, but the end of the song is a guitar solo so I'm not sure how close it is.

I'll bring a camera home from work tomorrow and snap a pic

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
alsoknownas  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Raunch99's video, it's somewhere around 113,270

Fedora wrote:
My Iron Lung: 115,733 for the upper bound. (115,733 is a gold star.)

It chinged on my last note too, but the end of the song is a guitar solo so I'm not sure how close it is.

I'll bring a camera home from work tomorrow and snap a pic

Rock Band Stats:
X Guitar Gold Stars: 48/58
X Guitar FCs: 25/58
X Bass Gold Stars: 54/58
X Bass FCs: 54/58
Total Bass FCs: 89
Murderkill  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brass in pocket is about 102k. i got it during the last hold and my score was 102,276.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy Holly went gold for me between 125163 and 125563.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass in Pocket is just over 102K, both mathmatically and factually. I know this because I screwed up the ending and finished with 102,001 and no gold stars. (5* = ~67,200 ---> 5GS = ~102,144)

Buddy Holly, when it's all said and done, will probably be close to 124,800. Remember the "double ching" rule - you've got 5GS as soon as you hear the first ching, the stars turn gold AFTER that, and can't be used to measure the cut-off score accurately. That graphic effect mucks with data all over the place. (5* = ~82,100 ---> 5GS = ~124,792)
So based off of your score spread, Sully, it sounds like you were getting +400 at the time. So the note before that spread, "first ching," was likely at 124,763.

(... wait, what were you DOING to have a spread of ~400? Wouldn't a 12x multiplier increase at 300 per note? )

My Iron Lung: (5* = ~74,350 ---> 5GS = ~113,012)

Some of the front-page scores really need to be updated with ones that are via the relatively accurate "Rule of 1.52" formula. I haven't seen an example yet where they've been off by more than 500 points from the value of the "first ching."
Sully  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeridotWeapon wrote:
Buddy Holly, when it's all said and done, will probably be close to 124,800. Remember the "double ching" rule - you've got 5GS as soon as you hear the first ching, the stars turn gold AFTER that, and can't be used to measure the cut-off score accurately. That graphic effect mucks with data all over the place. (5* = ~82,100 ---> 5GS = ~124,792)
So based off of your score spread, Sully, it sounds like you were getting +400 at the time. So the note before that spread, "first ching," was likely at 124,763.

(... wait, what were you DOING to have a spread of ~400? Wouldn't a 12x multiplier increase at 300 per note? )

As for x12 vs x8... Guitar, not Bass.

You can look more closely in my vid if you'd care to. I just watched when the stars switched to gold rather than listening for the "ching."
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
As for x12 vs x8... Guitar, not Bass.

Heh. Right. Sorry, I'm jumping between worlds here and had "bass on the brain" at the time.

Sully wrote:
You can look more closely in my vid if you'd care to. I just watched when the stars switched to gold rather than listening for the "ching."

Okay, I've just come back from a "field test" and can guarantee that if you're watching with your eyes, your score is too high.

Just played Say It Ain't So on Bass, a song I knew would be easy to "single strum" into the 5GS range at the end and just coast to the end without running out of life.
I did that, with a score of 72,055. Heard the "ching," the stars never turned gold. Went to the end without hitting another note - and as expected, JUST like in the Big Rock Finish, the stars were Gold at the end on the status screen.

This means that pretty much ALL information we get from people posting their scores on when the notes turn Gold on the screen is wrong. That sucks. A LOT.

On the plus side, this test also accidentally let me narrow down Say It Aint So's 5* Bass cutoff to within 16 points [47,406-47,421] and the 5GS cutoff to within 25 points [72,031-72,055]. Which may seem irrelevant, but Guitar and Bass both use the same "math formula" to determine the cutoff scores.

Doing the math based off of these numbers, the "magic formula" for 5 Gold Stars is 5* x somewhere between 1.5189 and 1.5199. I'm NOT going to start calling it the "Rule of 1.5194" just yet, though. I'll stick with 1.52, because a little margin of error on the high side is probably for the best.

Wall of Text summary:
* You get 5GS before the stars turn Gold on the screen. Confirmed.
* [5GS = The 5* cutoff score multiplied by just under 1.52]. Confirmed for Guitar and Bass. Drums are different.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: