FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Whammying on short sections?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metasynthie  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Whammying on short sections? Reply with quote

I'm kind of new at this score optimization, and I'm trying to get my score up on songs that I can FC + Gold Star. I know the score variability has to do with squeezing and whammying. I understand the concept of squeezing, although I mostly tend to do it on accident especially since the tilt sensor in my Strat is... well, not sensitive enough for precise timing.

Whammying though... I should be able to get this down, but I still have trouble whammying on short notes. Does anyone have tips for this? Are you playing with the whammy bar resting in your hand all the time? I can't seem to get used to that, but if I snag the whammy with a finger while I'm playing, I always end up starting late, or worse still on short whammies, missing the next note in fast sections.

Advice appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Metasynthie
UPSWyatt  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure whammying doesn't do anything to your score, it increases the amount of OP (Overdrive Power?) you can squeeze out , but I don't think it makes your score goes up any faster. At least it was that way in Guitar Hero.
metasynthie  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I mean for getting more energy out of overdrive whammys, just to be clear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Metasynthie
iagomonk  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPSWyatt wrote:
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure whammying doesn't do anything to your score, it increases the amount of OP (Overdrive Power?) you can squeeze out , but I don't think it makes your score goes up any faster. At least it was that way in Guitar Hero.

Ummm.. wouldn't extra overdrive obviously translate into a higher score?
ocelot11  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, someone around these forums (can't remember who it was, sorry) put it best one time. They said something along the lines of holding the whammy bar with your fingers while you play, and when you come to a hold, bring your hand together like a sock puppet! That sock puppet thing helped me. Essentially you want to press the whammy and strum at the same time so you get maximum time to whammy on the short and long holds. It can get tricky when you are alt strumming faster parts though.

I can't explain it very well I guess, but just try to visualize a sock puppet and maybe it will click for you like it did for me!
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I usually never worried TOO mucha bout it but when I got to green grass.. during the 2nd solo right before the 2nd batch of zigzags theres a bunch of short sustain OD notes.
I saw the Sluggo vid and he whammyed them and got a CRAZY amount of OD, enough to build a half bar off of.
I had to do the same to get through the 2nd zigzag
malklavious  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the speed you whammy does not change the rate of whammy-OD gain. To test this, whammy a long OD note when in overdrive and it seems like whammy-OD gain is the same rate as natural OD-drain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: