FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Looking for some advice from you drummer folks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xekonic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started drumming, the advice that was given to me was simply to get your body used to not doing things in rhythm with the other parts of your body with respect to drums.

Eg: Hit the snare then use the kick pedal.

I realize that sounds mundane, but it does help. Do it a few times if you have trouble with it. If you don't, throw your highhat hand into the mix (Snare then HH then Bass, HH then bass then snare, etc). Practice different combinations with it, then really just move into a song that has a pretty syncopated beat (not straight ahead).

Off the top of my head the best songs I would recommend to really get you used to syncopated beats both in general and with the pedal is the song by the rolling stones and Block Hole Sun (by Soundgarden I think). After going through Black Hole Sun a few times, I would suggest moving on to Sabotage by the Beastie Boys. Play these on hard and number of times and it should start to get you adjusted. Part of it too is getting the groove into your head. Once you've got it down, it makes it a bit easier.

Hope that helps
i5hawn  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foo Fighters track is the one that's cock-blocking me on hard.
Nytmair  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow guys thanks for all the awesome advice

I'm slowly starting to get better at it after trying to take what you're all saying and using it. I moved up to expert on solo career just to give it a try and i've actually managed to get a handful of songs done. I think i'm stuck on the pixies song now if I remember right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: