FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Looking for some advice from you drummer folks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nytmair  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Looking for some advice from you drummer folks Reply with quote

As of right now I'm moving through medium career on drums. The only thing stopping me from higher difficulties is when the kick pedal note is on an off beat.

Is there any advice you guys have that I can teach my brain to be able to do these weird beats or is it simply a practice makes perfect kinda thing?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno bro, Im new like you and just keep playing it.
Once I got more comfortable with the pads positionin and not panicking, then you start to see the the rhythyms and what not.
After a bit you can feel the rhythm and for me I kinda just see the bass, pad come up and I can hit it ok.

The only ones I cant seem to catch the damn hang of is the constant pad, bass, pad, bass, pad, bass.
Like wave of mutilation on hard.
R+Y, bass, R+Y, bass, R+Y, bass, R+Y, bass, R+Y, bass, etc
Either my hands speed up/slow down or foot does the same until im hittin R+Y+Bass and lose the rhythm.

Just stick with it. a day of playing 3/4 through medium career i felt it was too slow and i kicked it up to hard and up to tier 3, and did dani california ok on expert.
Killoff  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help with this too
Weebs  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far with the bass it seems like it's kind of like those odd chords/riffs in guitar hero. Like how when you see 3-note chords in guitar hero for the first time it really messes you up but then you get used to those certain rhythms, then we see these odd rhythms in the drums and after a bit you get used to them. Ex: I could never play something like, RY - Bass+B -Bass - RY before, but now after playing it constantly I've gotten used to it and rarely miss it.
ghozt360  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey
the best advice i can give u is try to imagine the bass notes as just filling in the space between the other notes...thats the hardest thing to do because u really need to use ur hands and feet seperatly....go to practice mode and play the song at like 70-80%, then when the notes start coming start with just one hand and the red pad, then add ur foot...when u can hit all those add ur left hand and the rest of the pads...it does get easier with practice but u can get better quicker if u can get used to filling in the spaces with ur foot and no hands, and then be quick enough to hit the next notes with ur hands and not move ur foot at all, its tricky but once u get it down youll never forget how to do it so its worth it
Bonestown  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its good to just practice it before trying in a song. you dont even need to practice in RB.

just right down a few structures on a piece of paper and do it at your desk/in school/at work.

then start doing it quicker and quicker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing is getting your feet to do something different than your hands are. If you practice just a simple song with just doing the bass and snare( you don't even need to be in RB for this) and once you got the beat down with the bass and snare, then try adding in the hi hat, cymbals or w/e else is doing most of the beats in the song like for example in Maps, the tom is doing quite a bit. If you just pratice the parts by combining hi-hat/cymbals/toms and bass or bass and hi hat/cymbals/toms. It just takes practice to get your hands and fett to move on separate beats. Just do whatever works for you.
sevin  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^agreed. One of the loading screens essentially said the same thing. Go into practice mode and just play the bass drum. Then repeat the song and add in the yellow drum. Then again and add the red drum. etc... You'll get it.

I think in a few years there will be a lot of great drummers around and no real guitar players. lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really all comes down to practice. When I first went from medium to hard, I was completely overwelmed by the odd kicks. The more you play, the easier they become, and now I can play almost every song on hard (except run to the hills ). You choke for a while, but the more you screw around with it, the better you'll become, and eventually it will be second nature.
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I notice right hand gets set to autopilot and just hit hit hit hit.
once i got the feel for that, i just had to time in the foot in between and the left hand. works ok for me so far.

I like when an odd section comes up and I say damn, I aint hitting that. I finish it, and i see combo still at 4x. I wow myself.
dochogan  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single most important thing for me on parts like that is...

RELAX!

Seriously. I'll start seeing sections like that coming, and I'll start dropping them like crazy. Then I'll notice that my leg muscles are all tensed up, and make an effort to force my leg to relax. I almost immediately start hitting everything just right again.

Tension is IMO the single biggest negative factor while drumming.
[Eruption -Van Halen(GH)] [Prelude to Madness/Hall of the Mountain King -Savatage]
[Zoot Suit Riot -CPD] [Any Vai-era or Shut Up n Play Zappa(GH)]
Code:
Obyron: ...the [One] chart for the solo in GH3 looks like someone just ate a bunch of skittles and then threw up on the note chart
lilsushi  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i havnt played rock band drums yet but i have been playing real drums for the past 3 years or so, you MUST learn to seperate ur limbs ur left hand, right hand, right foot, and left foot(not needed for rock band unless ur gonna do the Y adapter thing for double bass pedals). try practicing doing somthing awkward where 1 of your other limbs would automaticly do sothing when your other limb did and keep trying to not react with the other limb when that limb does that particular thing. as for the bass pedal i would HIGHLY suggest the hell up technique as it allows for faster bass pedal hits and less tiring of your legs as you feet arnt hovering the air all the time
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i do is focus on the bass and just keep playing the pads on beat, as thats usually what most songs with offbeat bass notes are like ie. Highway Star

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember puttin on Enter Sandman when I was only 8-10 songs in on medium, with a friend on world tour.
And then I just saw that spam of notes and just stopped playing and said "that aint ******* medium!!"
Especially considering blackened was ranked passed Sandman and I did that one fine.

Next day after not playing and being fresh (day off) i enjoyed it.
Good auto pilot practice. Set the foot to do its thing, rock back, rock forward, back, forward
Right hand, taptaptaptaptaptap and just lookin and reacting on left hand
G-Rad  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I can give you (Being a real drummer) is play some of your favorite songs on hard/expert. (like playing ot the radio). OR just simple songs.

SOme good songs to practice to are the Foo Fighters song and "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: