FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Green Grass and High Tides
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trivman2000  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Green Grass and High Tides Reply with quote

I can get pretty far into the song. What makes me fail is this:

Any tips on how to do this?
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are fine with using the Strat, the solo buttons make this song 2039857230957809457024975x easier.

If you are using the Les Paul, my only suggestion is to go into practice mode.

debr5836  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got through it today with the Les Paul. My advice:

** full star power
** drop every 4th note and just play the ascending notes

I failed it on my sightread, but I passed it 2nd time with this strategy.

Check out my SP Galleries for GH1-PS2, GH2-PS2, GH2-X360, GHRT80S-PS2, and GH3
GH2 Log: 9/2/2007
TheBigBB  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bad news. You actually aren't that far into the song, because you have 2 really long zig-zags and 4 long runs of descending scales afterwards with a few overdrive phrases in between and one insane short section. And when I say long, I mean very long. You gotta be able to hit most of it without overdrive. You can basically overdrive through maybe 40% of it.

Okay now the advice.

Hit the like it was just . In the act of pulling off you will sometimes count the next as a pull off. If not, at least you just hit 3 of 4 notes in the series. You have to fret quickly, and maybe restrum a lot just to make sure. If you can make it out of the second zig-zag, grab the overdrive and then play on the solo buttons (I pause and switch the controller here because I'm better with my Xplorer for the rest of the song) and take your right hand and run it over the scales O->R over and over. Using the solo buttons, no other strumming is needed. Then fudge your way through the crazy transition and repeat the process on the B->G. Run your finger on time over the buttons. Once you got the rhythm it should be very very easy to start comboing here. Now hopefully you didn't use overdrive yet and you can burn it on the quicker scales at the very end so you pass the song.
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, guess why Im here.
I tried just hitting the middle right middle repeat like RYRRYRRYRRYRR
Which it would sometimes work and go through and others no.
I tried holding down g on the solos andthe RRYRRYRRYRRY no dice
i think next ill try the left n right index or just drum YRG YRG cuz that should help with the rest i see coming up.

Ahh well I was able to 3* it by the first solo around 7% and then 4* it beginning of the next solo.
I dont care if i dont 5 it. i wanna finish it. argh
JoshNeff  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not the best at the song but I can beat it. Not perfect by any means, but the places I had issues with seem to be the common ones.

I made this video to hopefully help people. It's not showing off or anything really that great, just demonstrating my stragedy.

The way I do the decending triplets at the end is pretty weird, but I think it works well.

Sorry about the file size, my video programs wont deal with .mov files, but I really don't want to put much time into fixing it up.

http://www.joshuaneff.com/crap/ggaht.MOV

make sure the MOV is in caps

(( and not that it concerns RB, but I know people will ask, Yes, I have tattoos on my face, yes it hurt but that's life. I have black tape on my finger because its broken and electrical tape is all I could find. ))
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Ant 612
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to just rub my right index back n forth on the solo buttons.
But it was odd. sometimes theyd combo fine, other times Id just miss it all and then be overstrumming.
I forgot about the descending triplets and used my OD for points on the 4 slow descending notes.
I was a centimeter or so from failing out but just got lucky and slinked through.
K2.  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's no way in hell I could've beaten that song without the solo buttons. After going through practice mode for about 45 minutes, these are the finger-tapping patterns I came up with for each of the crazy fast repetitive parts. It is so much easier to do these on the Strat so that you don't have to worry about restrumming if you miss a note or two.

For the YRGR part, I hold the G with my left index finger, put my left middle on the R, and my right middle (or index) on the Y. Then, while holding down the G the entire time, I just tap the Y once and the R twice with a little gap in between the two taps of the R for it the register the G. After going through it in practice a few times to get the timing down, I could manage at least 90% consistently. Then a little later the same pattern switches down to BYRY, so I just do the same thing with each finger down a fret.

After that it starts the descending OBYR, then some BYRG, then some more OBYR. I tried just a normal fingering for these at first, but it worked better for me to hold down the R (or G on the second part) with my right index and do the others with my index, middle, and ring fingers on my left hand. Just remember that for the first few sequences of the first OBYR, the R isn't a pull-off, so make sure to tap it on those. Once the red starts having a small sustain it's a pull-off from then on.

Finally the very last part of the song repeats a OBY pattern. For this I'd usually hold the Y with my left index and kind of gallop my ring and middle over the O and B.

After that part it's just a few Os and then the end. That YRGR was really killing me at first, but after a some time in practice mode working out the fingertapping I passed it easy. I don't know if these will help anybody, but they worked really well for me. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not using the solo buttons, i would recommend just hitting the R and Y notes. Just strum every R note and hammer on if theres a Y following. I kept my rock meter in the high yellow doing this and nearly five starred the song.
Ghazken  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my friend thought that with him on lead and my supporting him on Bass that we would be able to hammer this song pretty easily with me carrying him through the rough parts.

Funny how some plans backfire on you. I didn't have any clue what kind of beast this was going to be on Bass as well. The repeating part during the second solo for whatever reason just absolutely terrorizes me. We were able to skim by, but damn, I never saw a Bass line that gave me as hard of a time as that one.
Killoff  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did much better on this song with the Les Paul o_O I think I got a Great solo, and I did a lot better.

I just move my fingers up and down those 3 frets and hope I hit notes
Frostilicus  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have more or less ignored the solo buttons, but doing the entire second solo on them was what allowed me to 5* that bad boy. For the many fast 3-note sections, just concentrate on hitting the highest note with your ring finger and getting two clean pull offs without worrying about the interim hammer-ons. A lot more fun than Freebird to play, in my opinion.
Siberian  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tip? Star Power and lots of random button mashing + prayer.

I hit star power as soon as the first one of those came up, burned it out by the time it finished but BEFORE the next star power gain showed up. Nailed that gain w/ whammy on each note (which can net you over 1/2 a bar for just 1 star power section) and then fumbled my way through the next similar sequence to that without star power because it was short and I could survive it.

I practiced this pattern (orange is a strum) because it was slower and was able to hold a combo through it so this helped me get my rock meter back into the green.

I got whatever other star power I could for the rest of the song and saved it for the fast bit like this at the very end:

By some miracle I actually nailed the star power sequence in that section.

Only got 3 stars on the song in Expert but I got it done!

I was using the Les Paul btw so no solo buttons for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just use the solo buttons. they seem to be much more tolerant than trying to do ho/pos with the regular frets. as for me, i just have to stop thinking about what my hand is doing and let it (my hand) go...i think i put a real subtle wrist-twist in while im doing them in order to help keep time, but its more of an unconscious thing. your goal is just to keep making sure youre fingers are moving up and down while those clicky solo buttons are pattering out 16th note rhythms (or whatever it is at that part of the song, i dont have the chart in front of me).

but yeah, theres an AWFUL lot of solo left for you once you get that part down
i5hawn  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously fuck this song i get to the red/blue/yellow at 85% and fail out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: