FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CASHPRIZE Framingham, MA SAT 11/01/08 Rock Band 2 Tour 1pm!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameUniverse  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone is welcome to use the ION kit but it will slow things down a lot if everyone WAITS to use it. ;)
boberta13k  

Location: Searching for the White Whale in the ocean, and I swear I will find him and venge my ivory leg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My generation was a complete and total facepalm for me. i lost by 16k. that's like a half % more on each instrument. ...

i have an idea for the upcoming tournament:
people come in, make bands, and everyone chooses a song for themselves and everybody else in the tournament to play. the scores added up is what they're going for. the winner is announced at 8. this way, people can go somewhere else after they play, and come back to see if they won. this also eliminates random amounts of time being spent not doing anything.

...or at least get 2 other screens operational.

WHY THE FUCK DID WE ATTEMPT BLINDED BY FEAR ON EXPERT???
Gaara72  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i have an idea for the upcoming tournament:
people come in, make bands, and everyone chooses a song for themselves and everybody else in the tournament to play. the scores added up is what they're going for. the winner is announced at 8. this way, people can go somewhere else after they play, and come back to see if they won. this also eliminates random amounts of time being spent not doing anything.

This is a pretty moderate idea, I however think that I have a better one. Instead of a round robin-ish type style that you guys were trying to do I think you should have a band pick 1 song. Everyone would play that song and the band with the highest amount would get the most points (if there were 8 bands the band with the highest score would get 8 points, 2nd highest score 7 etc.). Then the next band would pick a song, rinse and repeat until every band has picked one song. Take the four bands with the highest point totals and put them into a random bracket, call it semi-finals best 2 of 3, the two bands that win go into the finals 2 of 3. I think this style would keep everyone involved and not spending a lot of time doing nothing (kinda like how I just drifted off and was practicing Satch Boogie solo D on the mini-screens for about 30 minutes+[/me so happy about hitting 95%]).

About the tourney tonight, Epic time as usual. My band didn't win a single match but it was still epic. Manu Chao (is that how you spell it?) was a funny pick, I never heard the song before and now I think that I may just buy it due to the song being stuck in my head on my ride home . I also thought it was pretty fun playing the inside the fire solo behind my head .

Now that I realize that I've typed a wall compared to my normal standards. I'd like to use the last of it to thank GU for hosting these epic tourneys, Briguy and his barmates for letting me in their band of epic proportions, and all the other bands who came and made the experience possible.

I can has accomp thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: xXgaara72Xx
Friedmannn  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was amazing. Again. I Did It 4 Teh Lulz made it to the finals, and ended up tying for 2nd/3rd. What I still can't believe, is that we came with no vocalist, and got paired up with a random guy that said he was good. When we were about to play, he pulls out The One. I couldn't believe that we got randomly paired up with BriGuy. It was intense. He was one of the best vocalists there (maybe the best), and we made it to the finals on an epic run of Highway Star when Bri had to go. We picked up another singer who owned, and barely even placed, but we ended up pocketing $20 each. Which was very nice. I can't wait for the next one.

MasterNobody  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: win. Reply with quote

wow. That was truly epic.

We went through 2 losses on Perfect Drug by like 50K points, loss on Round and Round by 7K, random annoyance and bitching, meeting the real Duke of Gravity, lag, and my MOTHER FUCKING COCK SUCKING generation.

And after all that we still won. Again.
Shit. That was really close.
The competition was significantly stronger than last tournament. Lots of really strong groups.

Another point- Friedmann i contest that either of your singers were the best there. Sorry but I think my scores explain it all. Tangled Up in Blue FC cough cough.

Speaking of the Duke of Gravity, who is this guy?
I couldn't find any scores for Panflute Epidempic, if anyone knows if these guys are on ScoreHero anywhere?

Anyway thanks to everyone who showed up (and gave us your money jk lol). It was a really fun time and I hope to see you all there next time.
DEATH BY COWBELL SHALL TRIUMPH AGAIN!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results

1st Death by Cowbell
2nd Tie - I did it for the Lulz and Flustered with Disaster
4th Pan Flute Epidemic

Great Tournament! Awesome players! Thanks for coming!
Friedmannn  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know when the next one is? Hopefully I can convince BriGuy to be the singer for I Did It the entire time next tournament, so we have a good shot at first.

ERBiC  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after that, I've determined that if I wind up with an ION kit anytime soon, I will NEVER, EVER, EVER (EVER!) use the stock pedal that comes with it. That pedal was the only reason I didn't use the ION for Death By Cowbell's rape-runs on Painkiller and Screaming for Vengeance... sorry if I smashed your RB2 pedal, Jamie.
Those pads are incredible, though, and the cymbals are a nice touch. You'd think they could provide some kind of legit bass pedal with that thing.

I had a damn good time; great competition. Drumming for two bands was extremely fun.

The members of Radical Phenomenology were really chill, and I enjoyed going as far as I did with them. Bit strange winning (with DbC, my primary) AND losing (with RP, my secondary) on My Generation, but y'know.

Meeting BriGuy and seeing the One was extremely unexpected. I'd seen the pics, but that guitar is so much more awesome in person. BriGuy is the man.

Oh, and Boberto: Did you try BBF because of your drummer? I remember him from the last tourney we went to; he seemed a bit overconfident. Not that he wasn't good, though. *shrug*
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great venue + fun people + tough competition = good times!

It was great to see so many fellow SH'ers there. It's always great to meet people from the forum. Unfortunately for this tournament, I went with my English buddies that are regulars at my bar gigs who don't even own the game and play on hard. I knew going in that we wouldn't win, and kind of felt bad that a really good guitarist (Gaara72) ended up in our non-competitive band. He was in my supergroup a few months back when we won. I hope to get another group back in it next time.
(Sorry I had to leave a bit early btw. My wife wanted to go out for our 11th "dating" anniversery even though we now have a new marriage anniversery. {it never ends!})

I think the format does need a little tweaking though. With every change of band, there was like 5-15 minutes of downtime in between. This really starts to add up. I'm not sure what the best solution is yet, but I think Garra is on to something. Perhaps a 3rd screen would really help, but then we would be taking over the entire store which I guess isn't good for buisiness either. I'm gonna think about this one for a bit and get in touch with Jamie about that and some other things (like setting them up with some drum anchors) etc. (Nice Mighty Mighty Bosstones T-shirt btw!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: bringing a full band Reply with quote

Erbic brings up an very good point. This issue with people playing in multiple bands needs to be addressed.

For those of you who don't know exactly what happened:
Radical Phenomenology came to the tournament without a drummer, so Erbic decided to be generous and drum for them.
As it turned out, both RP and Death by Cowbell went 4-2 and got thrown into the My Generation playoff. Flustered went first and it seems they had actually played the song before so they put up a solid score of 820Kish if I recall. DbC was next and despite not knowing the song at all (with the exception of Erbic) we still got a decent 710K. The band with boberto and the ps3 drummer finished on the other TV really close to us, like 680K if i recall. This is when the shit hit the fan.
Flustered was in, boberto's band was out, and DbC was on the bubble. And Radical Phenomenology was up next. Erbic had to drum for the band that was trying to eliminate the 3 guys he came here with. Theres no way around it, that is seriously fucked up.
I'll be totally honest, I told him to blow it but hes more noble than I am I guess. Erbic got the same percent for both bands and Death by Cowbell won by a VERY slim margin, 15Kish I think. Honestly I'm just glad we actually went on to win or I would have felt pretty bad eliminating 2 strong bands just by getting a few thousand points luckier on a random sightread.

Anyway, this whole wonderful story brings up a good point. The purpose of this tournament is how good your ROCK BAND is, not just how good your guitarists and occationally drummer are. I think for future tournaments people should be more strongly encouraged to come with a full band. We only had 3 actual vocalists there for 10 bands, me Jamie and the Duke of Gravity. And I'm not even really a vocalist i'm just filling in for D4 (our superstar vocalist for those of you who werent at the 8/1 tourney). More people need to do what I did. Grow a pair of balls and learn how to sing if you love this game so much. Sure, none of us like to embarrass ourselves in front of our friends, but the vocalist is statistically the most important member of the band.
*rant*
Anyway the real point I'm trying to make is that it's best to come with a full band. Not only does this avoid horrible predicaments like Erbic had, you'll just be better off in general. Death by Cowbell won because we had band unity (despite 10 minutes of bitching at each other after losing Perfect Drug lol). I strongly, strongly encourage people to bring a full band next time, and I strongly encourage people who have their own bands to not encourage this band-whoring by playing with other bands. I understand extenuating circumstances and stuff, like the august tournament our guitarist bailed on us literally as we were on our way to his house to pick him up to go up to GU, so we just asked the first kid we saw with a guitar in hand if he would play with us and we wound up winning.

So do all you can next time to bring a strong, unified band. If you don't want to, Death by Cowbell is more than willing to take your money again.

Location: A long-ass fuckin' time ago in a town called Kickapoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: bringing a full band Reply with quote

MasterNobody wrote:
And I'm not even really a vocalist i'm just filling in for D4 (our superstar vocalist for those of you who werent at the 8/1 tourney). More people need to do what I did. Grow a pair of balls and learn how to sing if you love this game so much. Sure, none of us like to embarrass ourselves in front of our friends, but the vocalist is statistically the most important member of the band.

I DO NOT NEED A MICROPHONE. MY VOICE IS FUCKING (FUCKING) POWERFUL.

As several people have said, there could be a few improvements for next time. Mostly the long downtimes, but also the playing in multiple bands issue. Playing in more than one band is perfectly acceptable and may even be more fun. But I don't think you're obligated to do your best for another band, especially if it means your main band will lose. As MN said, the best bands are the ones that are already together before the tournament. BAND UNITY FTW.

But other than those very small nitpicks, I think we all need to thank GU for an extremely well run event. Having been to the WORST GH tournament ever at Best Buy, I know how important it is that the people running it have a clue of what's going on. The GU employees calibrate lag, have most of the DLC, have an ION kit..., hell, they even compete in their own tournament (and sometimes win)! I can't wait until I make my triumphant return at the next next event! *applauds GU for awesome tournaments*

MasterNobody wrote:
So do all you can next time to bring a strong, unified band. If you don't want to, Death by Cowbell is more than willing to take your money again.

Ha, you guys got 40 bucks. BACK IN MY DAY, WE WERE LUCKY TO GET PENNY CANDY!

MasterNobody wrote:
And somebody make D4 a banner! ^^^ He's an awesome guy and doesn't afraid of anything.
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing all you guys talking about how awesome this is, I MUST make the next one. And I basically have my full band in mind and the vocalist is pretty damn good. Both guitar and bass will be very good (go to the next GH tourney to see them ) the drummer I have in mind isn't too great, so if any of you single drummers are looking for a decent band for next time, just keep me in mind.

Just out of curiosity, what were the prizes for each of the top 3 bands? And I assuming that these RB tourneys have a bigger turnout than the GH tourneys there?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: bringing a full band Reply with quote

MasterNobody wrote:
I think for future tournaments people should be more strongly encouraged to come with a full band. We only had 3 actual vocalists there for 10 bands, me Jamie and the Duke of Gravity. And I'm not even really a vocalist i'm just filling in for D4 (our superstar vocalist for those of you who werent at the 8/1 tourney). More people need to do what I did. Grow a pair of balls and learn how to sing if you love this game so much. Sure, none of us like to embarrass ourselves in front of our friends, but the vocalist is statistically the most important member of the band.

BriGuy was a singer too, but he left at the finals. Also, I do sing, I just suck at it. I can get 5 stars on hard, but suck at expert. I don't do bad because I'm embarrassed, I do bad because I'm just not good! There are people who just aren't good at guitar and drums, and I just happen to be like that on vocals. So take off your pretty boy tennis jacket and face the truth, just because you can sing doesn't mean everyone else needs to grow some balls. Also, I don't know anybody in my town who is good at Rock Band at all besides my two friends I came with, and I was trying to contact Sburymadness here to see if he lived in my town (Sbury = Sudbury? lol), because he is top 5 vocals or something, so it's not like I didn't even try to bring a full band.
MasterNobody wrote:
(despite 10 minutes of bitching at each other after losing Perfect Drug lol).

I remember seeing you guys during that, it was pretty funny to watch.

ERBiC  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*twitch*

Gloating is not my style... runs against the grain of everything I do. I don't agree with my vocalist's point of view at all.

[rant]
Give it a rest, TJ. I've been watching you gloat here, and it's bugging the hell out of me. Not everyone can sing. Or drum, or guitar. Or whatever. And it's not always a matter of "growing a pair".

Yes, fine, I'm your drummer, and I'm good at it. BUT I'M FUCKING MODEST ABOUT IT.

And have you ever heard of winning gracefully? Christ. There's no need to fucking lord it over everybody.

I'll be perfectly honest, I was shocked when you told me to sabotage Radical Phenomenology. Really, what the hell.
If I'm drumming for two, I'm not going to be the variable that pushes the results in either direction. It should be the other three people that do that.
I played no differently than I would have, and what happened happened.
[/rant]

Okay, I'm done. I'm probably going to get torn apart for this tomorrow. It's worth it.

EDIT: I did still have a hell of a good time. I agree that maybe some modifications to reduce the amount of downtime could be in order, especially when the tourneys are as big as this one was. Besides that, and my rant, the tourney was awesome.
boberta13k  

Location: Searching for the White Whale in the ocean, and I swear I will find him and venge my ivory leg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: bringing a full band Reply with quote

MasterNobody wrote:

Grow a pair of balls and learn how to sing if you love this game so much. Sure, none of us like to embarrass ourselves in front of our friends, but the vocalist is statistically the most important member of the band.
*rant*

I can sing almost anything, it's just a matter that i didn't practice voxtar. I love to sing, in fact i'm in most of the elite chorus groups of the state, but as you can see, that didn't do me shit. as you see, My band (by my standard) got raped by my generation. I plan to be voxtar for all on-disc songs, but first i ask the store:
can someone pay 5 bucks to be vox for any DLC songs? it would be really helpful to have someone watch my ass for those weird DLC songs (aheem, MANU CHAO????)

MasterNobody wrote:
Oh, and Boberto: Did you try BBF because of your drummer? I remember him from the last tourney we went to; he seemed a bit overconfident. Not that he wasn't good, though. *shrug*

naw, i had NO ONE last time, it was utterly a letdown. if not for this tournament, i would have gave up on this place. james is by far the best drummer in the state, just look at his Achievements, (which i made for him) he's kinda inspired by that tournament.

I'm sooooo going to the next one, but my previous question for REALLY good vox player in MA was completely ignored.
if anyone wants to get serious about winning, PM me 'cause i'm in desperate need for a completeing peice of band. (VOX!)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: